The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 17, 2014, 09:23 AM   #1
Skans

37mm tear gas/barricade grenade

I purchased a 37mm tear gas/barricade "grenade" at a gun show some time in the 1990's. I think it was made by Smith and Wesson. For some reason, BATFE does not classify it as a DD and does not need to be registered (I checked this out, not sure I understand this, but did check it out). I saw something similar being sold on Gunbroker, but it doesn't have the barricade buster (black bullet-shaped projectile) http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=421908388.

Can anyone tell me anything about this? Seems to be kind of collectible, but I have no idea of value.

I know that technically, it's not NFA, but I don't know where else to post this.
Old June 17, 2014, 01:55 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I'll let this sit here for a couple days (unless you want it moved sooner) and then I'll move it to General. At the very least, there's more traffic there.
Old June 18, 2014, 12:17 AM   #3
medalguy

Not sure exactly what you are asking. Generally speaking, 37mm stuff is not DD classified since it's standard signaling caliber as required on board all vessels per Coast Guard regs. Gas is also not destructive, and neither is smoke nor star cluster and the like. The black tip, if not containing more than 1/4 ounce of explosive, would also not be classified as a DD.

Value? Whatever it will fetch. I see these sometimes for $20 and sometimes for $50 and everywhere in between. There's not a huge market for them, and a lot of them are out of date, therefore removed from vessels and sold as surplus. Fun to play with, but not acceptable by the CG if your boat gets checked.
Old June 18, 2014, 10:46 PM   #4
Machineguntony

I am not sure if they are the same thing, but I have several gas 'grenades' that someone gave me. Specifically they care OC gas canisters. They don't explode like a normal grenade. They just fizzle and emit lots of OC gas. I've used a couple. If you look on the ATF website, the definition of a DD doesn't fit this item.

I could be wrong, though, so I'm really just making all this up. My neighbor owns them haha.