The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 10, 2014, 02:47 PM   #1
Machineguntony

The MP5 is a fun gun

When I was contemplating which machine gun would be my first machine gun, I couldn't decide among which one to buy. So I spoiled myself and bought all of my options, including a Steyr Aug and M60, which I do not yet have in my possession. If I was limited to one, now that I have shot and have in my possession several, I will give my opinion that for a first time machine gun buyer, the MP5 would be the best choice.

I wish I knew now what I did not know then, as I would have purchased two MP5s, instead of two M16s. I definitely would not have purchased the Steyr Aug due to the blowback issue, but since I have already paid for it, I will love that child like any other child.

The upsides of an MP5:

Replacement parts are plentiful and easy to find, and relatively inexpensive, unlike my soon to be bastard child, the M60, for which it is really hard to find replacement parts, and if you can find them, are really expensive. I just now purchased five H buffers for my A3 stock, five extractor springs, three original new HK German magazines, Roller pins and plates, all for less than $400.

Upgrades or swaps to different versions are relatively cheap. For example, I have an A3, and to swap to an A2 version would cost less than $500. In comparison, it cost me $1600 to turn my M16A1 into a 9 inch carbine with a collapsible stock ($1200 for the Colt Commando upper and about 400 for the stock, buffer, and miscellaneous); and as for the M60, it will cost $8000 to upgrade to a MK43 or E6.

9mm ammo is dirt cheap, especially when reloaded.

9mm ammo is the easiest and fastest to reload because it is so small.

The magazine is easy to handle and reload. I now wonder, why isn't all double stacked handgun ammo reloaded the same way: instead of pushing down and back, like on a handgun, the magazine on the MP5 is just push down, and the round is seated. When you're shooting 2000+ rounds, the simple pushing down to reload the mag is a fingernail saver.

The low recoil on the gun makes it super easy to shoot. In full auto, and at about 15 yards, I can put all 30 full auto rounds into a circle about 6-8 inches.

The MP5 is in high demand and holds its value really well.

If you shoot it with a suppressor, the gas doesn't scorch your face like an M16 does. The M16 suppressed will barbeque your face, especially if you are a leftie, like me. I can imagine that an M60 will be worse, even unsuppressed. I hear the Steyr Aug is the worst when it comes to cooking your face because it is a bullpup design.

Finally, the MP5 is just really fun to shoot. Much more fun than a .223 because of the controllability (although an M16 isn't hard to control, you just have to get lower to ground in your stance, and you can run off an entire 223 magazine with no problem).

The Downside:

Absolutely none. LOL
Old April 10, 2014, 03:28 PM   #2
shooterdownunder

You're going to love the aug. It's a great gun
Old April 10, 2014, 03:57 PM   #3
Sharkbite

You know the AUG can convert to lefty?

I had one of the Micro-tech versions and liked that gun just fine. Only reason i got rid of it was because im so monkey trained on the M-4 platform. Had to really think about running the bull pup AUG
Old April 10, 2014, 04:03 PM   #4
Theohazard

^^^ I don't know much about AUGs, but I've heard there are some versions that can't be converted to left-handed ejection. Though I'm guessing Tony has one that's converted to left-handed use, otherwise he'd be getting brass ejected straight into his mouth .
Old April 10, 2014, 04:07 PM   #5
Willie Lowman

The selector switch on the MP5 is to high to use and maintain a good firing grip.

That's my only gripe with the MP5.
Old April 11, 2014, 09:43 AM   #6
Machineguntony

I only bought the Aug because I had always wanted to have an Aug, especially because one of my favorite movies of all time is Die Hard. Remember Karl, the villain?

There is a guy online named Pete who is an expert at the Aug, and sells parts for it, especially full auto parts.

The good thing about the F/A Augs is that the trigger pack is the registered part. From what I read (I have no personal knowledge), the Aug pack can be installed into an AugA3 and a Tavor and similar bullpup guns.

I am going to see how the Aug shoots lefty before I go buy a left handed set up. The Aug has an additional problem that the M4 does not: the Aug is a bullpup, so the ejection port, if you are left handed, will be right on your face.

I am still looking forward to shooting the Aug. I've never shot an Aug.

Shooting the M16 isn't really a problem left handed. It is a problem shooting left handed AND suppressed. I don't think the offending gas is coming from the charging handle vent, but rather from the chamber/ejection port area itself. And its not just gas, it's actually unburnt powder that is in the process of burning, which gets pushed back and out the ejection port due to the pressure in the suppressor not allowing the gas to escape out the muzzle.

I especially like the "psssssssss" sound of the gas escaping after the magazine finishes. There's lots of pent up gas in that suppressor.

I now have a .223 silencer that I have no intention of using. Makes for a nice paperweight.
Old April 11, 2014, 11:32 AM   #7
Sharkbite

Quote:
I am going to see how the Aug shoots lefty before I go buy a left handed set up. The Aug has an additional problem that the M4 does not: the Aug is a bullpup, so the ejection port, if you are left handed, will be right on your face.
I tried to do some shoulder transition drills with my AUG clone. Boy be careful!! Unless you get really far to the rear, you WILL eat brass. I had to basically get my chin on the buttplate in order to not be hit by ejecting brass

That was one of the chief reasons i sold the gun. After thousands of hours of bi-laterial shooting with an M4 system. I figured id do it with this AUG critter without thinking about it and end up with my face against the ejection port. BANG.... Left check with a SERIOUS cass of bolt rash and a 556 case stuck between my teeth

Id spend some time dry practicing with that gun to figure out how to hold her before trying to shoot it. Just my 2c

Enjoy!!!!
Old April 11, 2014, 04:12 PM   #8
Willie Lowman

Try a left handed upper! You could put a barrel in this and it may solve your powder in the face problems.
Old April 13, 2014, 06:16 AM   #9
cryogenic419

Shot a MP5 quite a few times at Knob Creek back in the late 90's/early 2000's and most recently last November. It is a fun gun, its easy to shoot, practically zero recoil and for me it just seems like it was well designed when it comes to aiming, it felt natural. If I could afford one I would get one.

Perhaps its just the other guns I've handled all needed to be rebarreled or maybe I expect way too much on accuracy, but the MP5 seems to be a accurate little bugger too.
Old April 13, 2014, 08:56 AM   #10
BerdanSS

The MP5 is one of the great ones one of my personal favorites too.

My first time with one was spending a day with the local sheriffs office TRT. Got to shoot an A5 and a couple SD6s quite extensively. Lord almighty that SD6 was QUIET
Old April 14, 2014, 10:50 AM   #11
Machineguntony

After a full week of shooting, I am even more convinced that the MP5 is the ultimate fun machine gun.

My one reason above all other reasons: 9mm ammo is easy and cheap to make, so allows for more time on the trigger. F/A fire chews up ammo, and when ammo is cheap, easy, and fast to make, you shoot more.

After shooting up more than half my supply of 9mm ammo, last night I reloaded five full boxes of Berry's bullets, for a total of about 5,000 rounds, in about 4 hours, using a Mr. Bulletfeeder, the Dillon Auto Primer, and a Dillon 1050.

Cheaper than Dirt has a sale on 9mm Berry's plated bullets. After shipping and handling, and taxes, if you are in Texas, like me, the total cost per 1000 box is about $85 ($66 pre SH and Taxes).

A secondary reason I like the MP5 is that, after examining the action, I am pretty sure that it is safe to shoot cast bullets in an MP5. It is a blowback operation, so I do not see why one couldn't shoot cast. An M16 gas system would gunk up with lead, but I am pretty sure the MP5 uses a recoil/blowback system. I am no expert in this area, so I am trying to contact the guys at HKparts to find out if it will hurt the gun to shoot cast.
Old April 14, 2014, 11:23 AM   #12
Sharkbite

Yep. Delayed roller blowback. No gas system in the MP-5. No gas ports to clog up. No gas tube to clean. Id think cast is fine.

Remember that you get higher velocity outta the longer barrels in MP-5's then handguns. This results in a higher velocity. Make sure your cast lead is up tonthat or you will get a crap ton of leading in the barrel