The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 22, 2013, 01:32 AM   #1
kbfinn

30-06 ap rounds "laws and prices"

I live in colorado springs and i'm wanting to know if it's legal to posses or sell 30-06 ap ammo. My best friends father just passed away and he inherited approx 1000 30-06 ap and a few api. He really wants to,sell them at the gun site this weekend if its legal. Does any1 know the price that these rounds go for. Thx for all replies
Old August 22, 2013, 06:30 AM   #2
BoogieMan

I paid $12 for 5 at gun show in NC. I dont remember what they were selling for in quantity but discounts were pretty deep.
If he will send me some Ill pay $50 for 100 rnds plus cover the shipping with my UPS account. You may want to sell them in the classified section here.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old August 22, 2013, 07:56 AM   #3
Verge

Last time I bought them it was nearly $1 a round. I would be interested in another 100 myself.
Old August 22, 2013, 08:31 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

I don't know if it is still in force (because laws do sometimes change) but some years ago, a Federal law covering AP ammo said that you could have it, you could shoot it (hunting is different, and covered by state laws), but you could NOT give it away or sell it, except to a licensed dealer. If you did, it was a federal crime!

(not going to comment on the idiocy of the law...much..)

I haven't seen AP ammo for sale at the shows, for a long time. AP bullets (pulled from live ammo) are ok to sell, under that same law, as it only applied to loaded AP ammo.

If the Fed law is still valid, (and I don't know if there are any local laws in your state, sorry) you cannot legally sell, or give away AP ammo, except to an FFL dealer.

Now, enforcement of that particular law is problematic. You would have to catch someone in the act (or maybe in the advertising for sale of such ammo), and I think there is still some of under the counter sales of such. But technically, you can't do it, legally.

I could be wrong, and if so, will gladly admit my mistake. but I think its still the law, even if not well enforced.
Old August 22, 2013, 11:24 AM   #5
tahunua001

armor piercing ammo is allowed in rifle cartridges and as long as components are manufactured prior to december 31st 1999. many gun ranges will not allow their use(especially indoor ranges).
Old August 22, 2013, 05:46 PM   #6
armsmaster270

When I got mine I bought a spam can full of AP ammo in bandoliers in garand clips I paid $75.00 for it at The Old Sacramento Armory. I think it's head stampped 53
Old August 22, 2013, 07:49 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Certain ammunition with "armor piercing" bullets is controlled. But, the definition in the regulations does NOT cover U.S. manufactured .30-'06 or 7.62 NATO AP (black tip) ammunition. There may be some local or state laws applicable*, but AFAIK under federal law, it is legal to buy, sell and possess without restriction.

* Is anything legal in California East (aka Colorado)?

Jim
Old August 25, 2013, 05:34 PM   #8
xring3

GC range has a steel plate at the 300 yard line. Hit it almost dead center with an AP .30 cal round one day. Figured I best shoot the balance at targets into the berm. Folks may get upset with destroyed plate.
Old August 25, 2013, 08:14 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

It doesn't need AP to pretty well wreck a steel plate, about any fairly hot rifle round will crater it. The reason is that when a bullet hits something solid like a steel plate, its energy is converted instantly into heat and that melts the bullet and the steel plate at the point of contact. The difference between AP and, say, GI ball, is that the AP has a hardened steel core that penetrates the temporarily soft steel. If the steel is not too thick, the core completely penetrates it; if it is thicker, the core will bury itself in the softened metal and stick there when the steel solidifies. There is (or was) a German tank turret at Aberdeen that was fired at by a .30 MG using AP. It looks a bit like a hedgehog, with AP cores sticking out. Needless to say, the "armor piercing" bullets didn't "pierce" that armor.

Jim
Old August 25, 2013, 08:15 PM   #10
grumpa72

Well, my son and I bought three cases (192 rounds each) of AP ammo from the government affiliated organization of the CMP (google it if you aren't familiar). From what I have read, possessing AP ammo in not illegal for rifles but is for pistols, regardless of age or manufacture date. Remember, IANAL and I am relating what I believe to be true. And to add to that, among the Garand folks at the CMP the AP ammo is considered some of the most accurate non-match ammo to be had.
Old August 26, 2013, 06:55 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is the ammo itself that is regulated, if it can be used in a handgun. The problem for some ammo was created by the manufacture of handguns using rifle cartridges, so the meaning of "handgun ammunition" was forever changed. But, as noted above, U.S. .30 and 7.62 AP ammo was not affected because the definition was written to include a ratio of the AP core mass to the mass of the bullet, and that ammo does not meet the definition of "armor piercing".

Jim

Tags
30-06 ap