The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 1, 2010, 08:04 PM   #1
jwalker497

Help Choate Extension

I received my Choate extension kit for the Mossberg 930 and it has NO DIRECTIONS. Can someone please help me get this installed? I mean the parts are just thrown in the box, there is a very long spring which was crunched up to fit in the box, and no directions. Anyone walk me through this or have some instructions they can send or point me to???
Old March 1, 2010, 08:31 PM   #2
MAX100

Screw the mag cap off and I believe it has a metal spring retainer. It will have a hole and split in it. Pry it out but be careful not to bend the lip of the mag tube. The spring inside is under pressure and it will fly out in your face. Remove the old spring, shell limiting plug and install the new spring then screw the tube extension on. No need for the spring retainer,. The Choate spring is low quality so I would replace it with a Wolff universal spring cut to 29" and bend the ends down so they don't stick up.

Cut the Choate spring to the same length if you use it.

GC
Old March 1, 2010, 09:59 PM   #3
jwalker497

THanks Max, appreciate the help. I removed the retainer, was a plug that had 2 pieces, removed the old spring, installed the new spring which was cut to 29in and then screwed the new tube on. Looks good. I ran about 4 snap caps in and a few of them got hung up with me manually cycling, but I have never really done that before, so not sure if this indicative of any problems.

The extension does stick out an inch or so in front of the barrel, not sure if that's going to be a problem or not. What do you think?
Old March 1, 2010, 10:07 PM   #4
MAX100

Some of the Choate springs have bends in them; bend them out so it's straight. You can't tell with snap caps. Wait until you can fire and cycle some shells through it.

Sounds like you ordered the longer 8 shot instead of the 7 shot for the 18.5" barrels. Extending past muzzle won't hurt anything but it will get some powder residue on it.

GC

Last edited by MAX100; March 1, 2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old March 1, 2010, 10:23 PM   #5
jwalker497

Yes I think I got the longer one. Looks kind of silly. Where can you buy the wolff spring?
Old March 2, 2010, 12:49 AM   #6
MAX100

You can exchange it. The Wolff springs are available from Wolff or Brownells.

GC