The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 11, 2009, 05:11 PM   #1
Bella

Odd Request

The other day I recieved a letter from our department of wildlife. The letter indicated that they knew I had a deer tag for the upcoming season. They also asked if I would volunteer to help them in their study of our deer herd.

The letter had a list of body parts they want me to remove from the deer and send to them. A dozen parts are listed. If I do this by a certain date, I'll be entered into a drawing for a new Henry Rimfire Lever Action.

I guess I'll do it if I get lucky and get a deer. I just thought this was a strange request. Has anyone else here ever gotten such a request?
Old October 11, 2009, 05:31 PM   #2
bswiv

In years past while hunting Cumberland Island Ga. we were requested to collect blood samples from our kills. The rangers showed us how to do it properly and gave us vials to collect it in.

Not unusual to be asked to help in managing the resource. It saves the Game Managers a lot of money if we hunters help out. I'd do it.
Old October 11, 2009, 06:25 PM   #3
troy_mclure

many places do this, teeth from bear, teeth and brain matter from elk, etc...

when i was trapping in southern ohio a local ranger asked me to save the liver and kidneys of any muskrats and beaver i trapped.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old October 11, 2009, 07:42 PM   #4
armoredman

Pics of the rifle when you win.
Old October 12, 2009, 05:25 PM   #5
rr2241tx

Strange request, but the worst thing that could happen is you'd win a rifle and have every boy in your family tree trying to talk you out of it.
Old October 16, 2009, 08:41 PM   #6
cnimrod

NY was looking for buck genitalia (with the hair on) one year- no rifle giveaway tho.
good luck!
Old October 17, 2009, 12:08 AM   #7
T. O'Heir

"...a strange request..." Not really. Helping the Department of Wildlife isn't a bad thing. Not an unusual request either. In some places, turning in body parts is required. No polite request involved.
"...Pics of the rifle when you win..." Do a search for Henry rifles.
Old October 20, 2009, 05:58 PM   #8
cornbush

Some areas in Idaho send out sample collection kits, if you harvest and dont send in the sample you are not eligible for a tag the next year. Its easy and gets them info on the animals so I dont see it as a big deal.
Old October 20, 2009, 10:58 PM   #9
zahnzieh

I"ve never heard about hunters having to send in body parts - in Illinois they remove body parts at gun season check-ins. I suppose it is your state's way to save money in hard times. Archery season check-in stations have gone the way of the do-do bird, they dont exist anymore! last year they even closed some counties gun-check-in stations due to budgetary problems - we just called them in.