The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 2, 2006, 05:03 PM   #1
gunslinger454

Lee Classic Turret Press

Does anyone have any experience with the new Lee Classic Turret Press? It looks like a really good press, but I don't have any experience with either Lee or turret presses in general. I've always used RCBS single stage presses and want to speed up the process but can't really foot the bill for a progressive. By the time you get a shell plate and tool head for all the different cartridges that you need to load the cost of the press can easily top $1000. The Lee Classic Turret Press looks to be a sort of semi-progressive, and the only extra thing that has to be purchased are the tool heads (about $10 vs. $37 for the RCBS turret head), and it uses standard shell holders which I already have.

Anyway, if anyone has gotten one of the new Lee Turret presses I’d sure like to hear about your experiences with it.

Thanks,
JA
Old November 2, 2006, 05:34 PM   #2
klw

turrets

I've got three turrets currently, a Lyman, an RCBS and the Lee you are interested in.

Setting up the Lee was far more work than I expected. I got the job done eventually but it was more complicated that I would have thought. That didn't impress me. In fact after that I put it aside and haven't messed with it since.

The RCBS turret has some problems. The mechanism that deflects spent primers once it becomes dirty becomes trouble prone and a REALLY good cleaning doesn't help all that much. Also there is an iron or steel donut that is inserted in the top of the press between the aluminum turret and the bolt that holds the turret in the press. Undoubtedly done to reduce wear, this donut becomes almost welded to the top of the press and getting it out is REALLY tough. I would not recommend buying one of these.

The Lyman turret is a pure joy. Easy to use. Nothing the least bit complicated. No problems whatsoever. I like it so much that I have 50 (yes 50) spare heads for it. THIS IS A REALLY GREAT TURRET PRESS!

I've been looking at the Redding. Redding always makes great stuff but I haven't bought one of these yet.

One thing to consider when selecting a turret is: "what is going to be the cost of additional turrets?"
Old November 2, 2006, 06:19 PM   #3
arkie2

I have the Lee Classic Turret press and I'm not too happy with it. I have it set up for .45, .38/.357 and .270. About 2 months after I got it the auto index feature failed. The auto index depends on a synthetic piece attached to the ram (everything else on the press is metal) and that piece is the weak link in this press. I called Lee and they sent me a replacement part but I wasn't able to install it. I didn't really care anyway since the piece is under some stress and will only fail again. I still use the press but advance the turret by hand. I really don't recommend you get one. I'm still using mine only because I'm too damn stubborn to spend more money on a better press and I can still make do. However, I wouldn't buy one again.
Old November 2, 2006, 06:41 PM   #4
shooter chef

lee turret press

I have the regular Lee turret press and I love it... have just started reloading and have been able to load 250 some rounds of 45 ACP and 40 S&W with no hiccups at all. Primer attachment is smooth.
It did take a bit to setup, but once it was correct...about 1 hours worth.....
the press flies thru the process...
we will see about it's durability as time goes on....
Old November 2, 2006, 06:44 PM   #5
Old Time Hunter

I actually really like mine, no problems. Use Vaseline on the index shaft and also lightly around the outside of the removable heads. Load .44-40's, .44 Mags, .444's, .45-70's .450 Marlins, .30 M1's, .30-06's, .405 Win, .348 Win, .30-30's, and .32 WS's. Thousands of rounds, no problems.

Old November 2, 2006, 08:09 PM   #6
CrustyFN

I have a Classic Turret and love it. It is my first press and I thought it was easy to set up. I am only loading 9mm for now. It is build very sturdy and I haven't had any problems.
Old November 2, 2006, 09:14 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

This is the press that Lee should have started making 20 or 30 years ago. As far as I'm concerned, it is simply the best press on the market for the low to moderate level hand loader.

So far I have over 2,000 rounds loaded on my Lee Classic Turret -- .38/.357, .45, .41 Mag., and .44 Special.

Set up was an absolute cake walk. Nothing difficult about it. The only nerve wracking part was balancing the press on the edge of my bench and tracing the base, all the while hoping that I wouldn't lose control and drop it on my foot.

Operationally it has been flawless.

The auto-indexing feature is the same as used on the old style Turret press. I had one of those, as well.

I loaded probably between 20,000 and 30,000 rounds in that press, and replaced the indexing bushing only once after I had put about 10,000 rounds through it.

I got the press used, though, so I don't know how many rounds had been put onto the bushing before that.

The bushing is under stress, but not in a manner that would cause premature failure of the part -- unless the part was flawed.

Dead primers go through the hollow ram... FINALLY Lee sees the light! My old Turret press was a nightmare from that stand point. No matter what kind of jury rigging I tried to do to control the spent primers, they were all over the place.

Another very nice feature about the Lee Classic is the priming mechanism. If you decide to prime singly, you no longer have to push the ram into place. Simply place the primer on the ram and as you draw the case to the bottom of the ram stroke, a cam pushes the priming arm into place and aligns it so that the primer is seated.

A VERY slick feature.

You can also add a semi-automatic primer feeder if you're so inclined. I've not been so inclined yet.

All in all, the Lee Classic is an excellent press for the money. I can't recommend it highly enough.

And I don't even get a kickback from Lee for pushing it.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 2, 2006, 09:26 PM   #8
arkie2

Mike

Since my press is less than a year old I'm going to send it back to them this winter when I won't be doing much loading and let them try and fix it. Your experience indicates I'ver gotten a lemon. Even when it was brand new the auto indexing didn't quite work right. I would have to reach up and move the turret slightly to align the die. When I talked to the Lee rep he said he'd never heard of a failure of the bushing. I can't say this experience has left me with a good impression of Lee though.
Old November 2, 2006, 09:44 PM   #9
benedict1

I have a Classic Turret Press and it is very good. I have loaded several thousand rounds in three different pistol calibers and find it to be sturdy and really easy to adjust.

arkie2--there is a small, square bushing inside the plastic housing the index rod goes through--just remove the Phillips screw and open it up and put the new bushing in. Or, if they sent you the whole assembly, just remove that one screw and make sure the new assembly closes on the square bushing such that the corners fit into the grooves inside. If that bushing has become damaged, the press won't index right.

Then go to the Lee website and watch this video after you've got the assembly reinstalled; it tells you how to set the press so it indexes properly--takes about 30 seconds to adjust it--

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/Hel...justment-1.wmv

The instructions are for the 4-hole old style turret press, but they are the same for the Classic Turret.
Old November 2, 2006, 09:59 PM   #10
shooter chef

Sheesh, after reading your guys' posts, I hope I didn't make a mistake getting the old press instaed of the classic. The price on the old press was the whole kit, and much less expensive than the classic ans then having to buy things separately. But I figure I am new to reloading and start cheaper, then work up... still, it has worked great for me, I am extremely pleased and Midway had a great price on it that expired Oct 31... was like 89.99 for the whole kit.
Old November 2, 2006, 10:09 PM   #11
jwfab1`

I'm also interested in the same press, anyone else have any experience's, good or bad?
Old November 2, 2006, 10:52 PM   #12
amamnn

I've owned both the Lee Classic and the old 4 hole deluxe turret presses. I really don't see why anyone would have trouble setting either one up. I like the classic for the primer trap and it primes the brass easier than the old one.

The Lee "captive cage" type turret rather than the old umbrella style where the press rotates around the center post is more dependable. By that I mean that you always know how much play there is in the system--the umbrella types flex by an unknown amount and you're never sure how much variation there is between rounds. They were very hard to make concentric necks on. I don't load my rifle match ammo on the Lee, but for general use, it works fine.

I dizconnected the auto index on mine; I like to size and decap all my cases at once and then proceed from there. The only gripes I had with the classic was that the primer catcher tube kept falling off until I put a hose clamp on the top where it attaches to the ram guide. The classic did not fit in the same holes the other Lee turret used on my bench--I know--picky picky--that's what the guys at Lee said too. If you want the spent primers to go down the tube, you have to keep the primer holder in the ram, which is a pain if you want to run the ram all the way back down with a case in the shellholder. Other than that, it's a good press and inexpensive.
Old November 2, 2006, 10:56 PM   #13
shooter chef

So, having the first press, would it be beneficial to me to spend the extra 74.00 to get the classic... or is it not worth it to switch?
Old November 3, 2006, 12:37 AM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

Shooter,

I'd say that right now it's not worth the switch. Really put the press you have to the test first to see if you want to upgrade.

The old style turret presses were decent, but not as robust or as well designed as the new Classic and it will eventually wear out. My old turret has cracks in the base and it's no longer square.

I had the three-hole turret and did a LOT of loading on it, though. Many thousands of rounds, and as I said, I got it used from a friend, and I've no clue how hard he used it before he passed it to me.

My biggest gripe when I upgrated was that my half-dozen 3-hole turret plates immediately became obsolete, and I'm having to buy new ones.

Not a major malfunction, though.

Old November 3, 2006, 12:38 AM   #15
Mike Irwin
Staff

Arkie,

Definitely follow the steps in the video that benedict posted. I have a gut feeling that that's going to solve your problems.

Old November 3, 2006, 01:30 AM   #16
cloudcroft

arkie2,

News flash:

The plastic part is by design, it's SUPPOSED to be the "weak link!" Even RCBS has used plastic (in their Auto 4x4 for example) for the very same part and for the very same reason.

The reason is, if something causes the the shellholder not to turn, it strips the cheap plastic part, not an expensive metal part or cause damage to other parts.

So something else was wrong for that to happen to you...most Lee Classic Turret press owners -- I included -- never had that happen.

-- John D.

Last edited by cloudcroft; November 3, 2006 at 02:15 AM.
Old November 3, 2006, 01:52 AM   #17
xjz

I have had a classic turret press for about 9 months now and it was very easy to set up and use. I have loaded about 1200 9mm and 700 .45's on it so far. About 300 rounds ago the auto index hasn't worked properly and I have to move the head by hand slightly to size and expand the brass or it will crush one side of the brass. The de-primeing part has caught all but 2 primers so far so I cant complain about it. I do need to get the auto index fixed because it was much nicer to use with it but I still love the press and how sturdy it is. I also like the powder dispenser and the primer feeder for the press I bought, even thought the priming tool is just plastic and looks flimsy, it works fine. I'd recomend the press to anyone.
Old November 3, 2006, 02:17 AM   #18
cloudcroft

Give Lee a call and discuss your problem...they should be able to help you.

Have you looked at their online "help videos" re: adjusting the indexing?

-- John D.
Old November 3, 2006, 06:50 AM   #19
arkie2

Benedict, Mike, Cloudcroft

Once I took the plastic housing off I found the problem was twofold. The bushing was worn and rounded but the screw holding the housing had also stripped it's threads.

When I tried to replace the old housing and bushing with the one Lee sent me it seemed like I needed three hands to get it on there so finally just gave up and am turning the turret by hand. I'm going to send it back to Lee in the next few months and let them fix it.

Thanks for the heads up on the video. I didn't even know it existed. I'll give it a look.
Old November 3, 2006, 09:42 AM   #20
Mike Irwin
Staff

Arkie, if all you need to do is put the auto indexing collar back on, get a friend to lend you a hand.

I've done it numerous times by myself. It requires a little finagling to get to where you can hold everything and get it together, but it's not all that difficult.

Old November 3, 2006, 05:01 PM   #21
Nephilim-777

I also have a Classic Turret and love it. I primarily load .45 ACP and 9mm's with it. This turret and the Lee Deluxe Pistol Dies sets are a perfect match for each other. I have also been quite please with the Pro Auto-Disk's performance as well. This press will be with me for a long, long time.
Old November 3, 2006, 09:02 PM   #22
CrustyFN

Quote:
I dizconnected the auto index on mine; I like to size and decap all my cases at once and then proceed from there.
When I first bought mine I had 1200 clean brass and nothing to go with it. It was killing me to use it so I figured I would decap all my brass. I found out that you can use the classic as a single stage press without disconnecting anything. Just don't lower the ram all the way. It worked very well until I ran out of brass and went into withdrawls. The Classic is an awesome press. You can't go wrong buying one.
Old November 5, 2006, 04:15 PM   #23
amamnn

I like the 4 hole because I can mount a sizer/decapper die, expander (for handguns) seater, and crimp all on one turret. For rifles I have those as well, but with a neck sizer instead of the expander die, so I can use either sizer die as needed. Some of the cases are long enough to index the turret partially if lowered enough to remove them, so I had to disable the auto index. On some rounds I use the pro auto disk powder measure and it takes a few tries to get it adjusted. The indexer always seemed to be getting in the way there too. I suppose if one were loading huge quantities the indexer would be a help, but for me it just gets in the way.
Old November 5, 2006, 05:51 PM   #24
xjz

adjusted my auto index

I looked at that adjustment video link on Thursday night and Friday I went out and adjusted the auto index on the press and made another 200 rounds and it worked like a charm. I should have thought about it and figured out how to adjust it myeslf but I'm as pleased with my press as I could be.
I may try to hijack this thread and ask how many rounds can you make in an hour with the classic turret. I get about 100 but it includes the initial setup and cleanup of equipment.
Old November 5, 2006, 09:40 PM   #25
Nortonics

I've got the original turret and the classic turret - both four holers. Tens of thousands of rounds through these - most excellent machines and dies for straight wall handgun reloading. 250 perfect rounds per hour of .45 ACP on the classic is common for me. I highly recommend 'em, especially for a newbie.