The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 30, 2012, 08:40 PM   #1
VetteRed1965

Remington Nylon 76

Cleaning out the closet and found an old friend. I have a April 1962 Remington Nylon 76 with black stock/white diamond and black barrel.
Now its time to clean , lube and go shooting with my 16 year old son. Couple of questions , what type of cleaning oils should be used. I plan to use parachute cold to pull a cleaning cloth inside the barrel so I do not have to disassemble. Should I lube that lever and the ejector ? I need to find someone north of Atlanta who is familiar with this gun to take apart and do a though cleaning.

Thx, VetteRed
Old September 30, 2012, 08:55 PM   #2
Danny Creasy

My gosh, they are worth nigh on a $1,000 to a collector. Clean it and put it away or sell it and make a load of cash. Go buy a Ruger 10/22 or Henry for plinking.

Just remove the receiver cover by using a quarter to unscrew the receiver screws. Next unscrew the barrel lug retention screw on the bottom of the forend. Push the lug up from the bottom and the barrel will slide forward and free. Then give the bore a good cleaning with a rod, brush, and jag and patches. Wipe off every thing that you can get to in and out of the action but don't start knocking out pins (please). Do not lubricate the action. It is designed to run without lubrication.

Not sure about the 76 but the 66 has an ejector that falls free from the left side of the receiver once the receiver cover is removed. So, don't loose it. It is a bent flat piece of steel about an inch long.

Last edited by Danny Creasy; September 30, 2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old September 30, 2012, 09:24 PM   #3
VetteRed1965

I found a website nylonrifles.com and found a pdf. Thank you for the warning of not taking apart the assembly and also not to lube anything. Its been in the closet for 28 years or so...I used to hunt squirrels and frogs with it 35 years or so ago... an old friend ! Time to give it some attention !
Old October 5, 2012, 07:39 PM   #4
johnbt

I bought a brown 76 and gave it to my uncle a few years ago. He took it apart and cleaned it (no surprise here) and before he got it back together he had my father and a gunsmith involved. Actually, it was the 35-page manual I got from Harley Nolden that finally got it put back together.

John