The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 28, 2006, 06:05 PM   #1
bjmanersr

I need advise from you 357 sig reloaders

I've been reloading for more years than I care to think about BUT,I've never reloaded the 357 sig.I wont to start out with a good SOFT target load and here is my question.Handloads.com says a 9 mil. loaded with 115 ranier bullets with 5 gr. of bullseye will do 1180 fps.NOW If I load this same powder and bullet in a 357 sig.(asuming there is more space in the brass)Will it be slower or faster and is it safe?I think slower but what about pressure ect.?
Thanks! I know this is a mouth full.
Old January 28, 2006, 06:12 PM   #2
918v

It will be slower and dirtier. Your gun will malfunction.

A better load, if you like soft, is a 90gr JHP with Universal Clays or Power Pistol powders. I used to have a Glock 24 with a 357 Sig barrel. This load shot 1" groups at 25 yards. Recoil was mild, and the velocity approached 1900 FPS.
Old January 28, 2006, 10:12 PM   #3
snuffy

bullet shape

You should be more concerned with the shape of those ranier bullets. You can't use just any 9mm,(.355), bullet. The tiny short neck HAS to be able to grip the driving surface of the bullet. It can't be out over the ogive of a long flowing ogive of a 9mm fmj. Unless it can crimp into the bullet, you run the risk of having that bullet driven deeper into the case when it hits the feed ramp. The OAL is so short because of mag restrictions, you can't seat out to have the neck grip the driving surface of the bullet. Trauncated cone bullets about the shape of the 124 Hornady xtp bullet is what is needed.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old January 28, 2006, 10:17 PM   #4
rangermonroe

+1 shaggy

I like the shape of the 124 gr XTP, but I have also had good luck with cast lead bullets.

115 grain fmjs get pounded back into the case and the powder falls out around the bullet.

truncated cones are the way to go.

Midway sells the GDHP 125gr specifically for the sig.
Old January 28, 2006, 11:22 PM   #5
snuffy

Take a look at the 125 Hornady HAP,(hornady action pistol), bullet. It's approximatly the shape of the xtp, a hollow point, but no skiving so it don't open up much. They also make them in 121 grainers. at $32.00 for 500, it don't break the bank!

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=616998

I got 500 from midway, just finished loading a box. I'm headed to the idoor range to try them for accuracy.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old January 28, 2006, 11:33 PM   #6
kidcoltoutlaw

Rainer 124 FP

They work great with 10.5 Bluedot.
Old January 29, 2006, 12:36 AM   #7
bjmanersr

Thanks Guys

You squared me away nicely!
Old January 29, 2006, 07:15 AM   #8
caz223

10.5 bluedot is a little hot in my sig.
Start lower, like 10.0 and work up to it.
Old January 29, 2006, 01:16 PM   #9
kidcoltoutlaw

Then you don't even want to

Think about my hot and super accurate load with Power Pistol and a 125 Gold Dot. Seven of my 357 SIG guns are SIG one is H&K . Factory loads are weak :barf: double tap is said to be strong. Most date for the 357 SIG is :barf: . There is some real good data at www.realguns.com The best thing about Bluedot is a case full stops bullet set back. Don't bellow the case, seat the bullet slow and you will know when the bullet enters the case.

My way of thinking is if your going to load the 357 sig weak you might as well shoot a 9mm. I bet the NATO stuff is hotter than most factory loads. I don't load any caliber hot just to get the velocity. Some caliber shoot the best loaded hot. Like the 357 SIG , 357 mag, 44 mag, 338 mag 338 RUM. As always start low and work your way up. In most calibers the powder that fills the case up and gives the highest velocity will also be the most accurate. Every data book is different get as many as you can. Hodgdon is one of the best.
Old January 29, 2006, 03:34 PM   #10
caz223

10.5 of blue dot is a good book load, and I like blue dot.
There are no pressure signs IN MY GUN.
BUT if you cared about accuracy, you wouldn't be using rainier bullets.
If I want to plink, I'll shoot 9mm, but my 2340 'rings' from the slide hitting the stop with 10.5 of blue dot.
When I get my new KKM 357SIG 6" barrel for my G20, then we can compare velocities. With a little hotter spring and the extra slide mass I suspect I can get higher than 10.5, we'll see...
But seeing how we are both 10mm types, I doubt even the hottest velocities would be very satisfying, the brass just isn't as strong.

Last edited by caz223; January 29, 2006 at 04:10 PM.
Old January 29, 2006, 07:53 PM   #11
kidcoltoutlaw

Rainier Bullets in a Sig or Bar-Sto

Shoot about 2.2 inches at 25 yards for 9 five shot groups. Im sure it would do better. If I tuned it for each gun but I lazy and I have 8 guns in 357 SIG . I just not going to load 8 different loads for all the different guns. I have heard that lead will not shoot so good in a glock. MY H&K has the same type rifling as the glock but it loves Rainier. Each gun is its own problem not all guns even of the same make like the same loads. I just got lucky with the 357SIG's. The Rainier's are cheap and accurate for me. They are worth a try. I emailed them when I first heard about there bullets and they sent me some free samples. I have been buying ever since. I would say I have loaded 14,000rounds of 357 SIG and 12,000 of them have been Rainier. The shape of the bullet is going to be the reason not all .355 bullets work like another member said.

In the 40 the rainier shot like sh** but it turns out to be my fault. To much crimp.
Old January 29, 2006, 08:29 PM   #12
kidcoltoutlaw

Everybody that loads a 357 SIG

http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/www.Pete-357.com/ needs to check out this guy's web page. I think he likes it as much as I do.