The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old February 19, 2005, 04:23 PM   #1
USP45usp

Rich

I just ordered SWAT for two years and I messed up on my email address (typing too quickly). Can I get that handled here or call the 800 number or ?

Wayne
USP45usp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2005, 06:44 PM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Wayne-
Email Me. I'll handle it.
Rich
Rich Lucibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2005, 07:28 PM   #3
HankL

Is that great customer service or what!
HankL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2005, 09:29 PM   #4
USP45usp

Hank,

I will not say. They have done some things that I like, like not having to go from page 1 to page 80 to finish the article. I like the fact that I just turn the page.

Driving into town and get the magazine when I can has become tiresome. I now buy my meat at another place and they don't carry SWAT.

Even with the weapony that they have on the cover (hey, I know the reason why, class III's sell and I wouldn't have it any other way now that I understand), it is basically for the normal joe blow in bum F whereever. I am enjoying that aspect.

I have narrowed my gun rags down to two mags, SWAT and Concealled Carry. I think that they will do. Has the articles that I wish to read and has some unique things that I really like.

Wayne
Old February 22, 2005, 02:55 PM   #5
USP45usp

Hank,

I think that maybe my little joke didn't go over well (have a dry sense of humor).

All of the above postings was a great big YES .
Old February 22, 2005, 07:54 PM   #6
USP45usp

It's a good magazine, took me forever to get it direct to my home but it was well worth it .
Old February 22, 2005, 08:54 PM   #7
9mmsnoopy

is swat available at bookstores/newsstands? i dont recall ever seeing it, and the local store carries several gun rags. the only issue of swat ive ever seen was a back issue that i ordered.
Bushmaster AR15
9mmsnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2005, 09:14 PM   #8
USP45usp

9mmsnoopy,

The only place that I have found it local is WinCo. And they may or may not be taking it off the shelves, change of management or something, I don't know the entire story on it.

But, I have yet to find it at the local Wal-Mart and Fred Meyers carried it for a short time but then didn't. Not at the local Bi-Mart's either.

I will tell you the truth, go to the web site and order it up. I just ordered for two years, screwed up on one small part and got great customer service on it, and am now awaiting for the first issue.

And you know one of the main reasons that I like the magazine, it's so simple that it may be taken as a simpleton aspect (to clarify: It's very easy to read that anyone, even those who don't like reading will enjoy it), I don't have to turn from page 4 to 100 to continue an article. I'm reading an article, turn the page, there is the continuation of the same article.

And, it's one of the only ones that I've read cover to cover. Concealed Carry being the only other one.

With my offending remark of earlier, let me truly say that so far, I've had nothing but great service as well as chat from those that run the magazine. And I am expecting and knowing to get the same service after I begin to receive the magazine, as well as having direct contact with Staff here.

In my mind, it's worth the money. And, it's a great read, just have to now put in my resume' to write about older guns or something (joke, I can't write very well so there is no danger of this ever happening).

Last edited by USP45usp; February 23, 2005 at 10:53 AM.
Old February 23, 2005, 09:45 AM   #9
Rich Lucibella
Staff

9mm:
Long Answer, a.k.a. "Lessons of a Former Newbie Publisher":

When I purchased SWAT, I really didn't know what a challenging business this is, financially. I thought it would be all about editorial only and never realized the challenges in expanding distribution. Luckily, other than reaching out for writers and pitching Denny on the occasional feature idea, I don't need to get involved on the editorial side. Denny Hansen is quite honestly the best and most respected Editor in the business.

So, much of my time is spent in advertising, Customer Service and Distribution. Retail shelf space is expensive and very competitive. With SWAT's distribution having dropped to a trickle by the time we took it over, I had no idea how difficult it would be to expand to new outlets. This is a two-fold process. First, you pay the chains to try you; then you have to demonstrate that you can sell. (This is as it should be in a free market).

As to the first part, we've invested a great deal in chain Buy-Ins.....distribution is up about 4X since we took over. When it comes to demonstrating sales, this is accomplished with Art and Content, pure and simple. So we took the book from 84 to 100 pages (116 for the next issue only); we recruited Betty, the most talented young Art Director I've ever seen; We increased cover weight and coating; and we went full color (from 16 pages color). Next stop: Monthly frequency- beginning with the November issue. (Still certain chains, like WalMart, tend to be anti-gun; unless your title was on their shelves when Patton was a Corporal, patience is the watchword.)

Results:
In a world where "Nobody Reads Anymore"; in an industry where everyone is downsizing page count, paper quality and total printed copies:
- SWAT's subscription base is up 400%+
- SWAT's Advertising revenues are up 400%+
- SWAT's Newsstand is up 400%+

Still, SWAT can be hard to find in certain areas, often depending on how "anti-gun" the wholesalers are. However, as the stats above show, we're winning the battle. When in doubt, check the major bookstores like Borders, B&N and Books-A-Million.

News Flash:
Beginning with the next issue (May 2005), check 7-11's nationwide.

USP:
The relationship between you and SWAT is high praise. You started out, in this forum, questioning what it offered the "Average Joe". You listened and agreed to try it. You reported your surprise at the content and layout and started buying it off the shelf. Today you're a long term subscriber. I simply can't ask for better feedback than that. Many thanks.
Rich
Old February 24, 2005, 01:23 AM   #10
Greg R

9mmsnoopy,

Try Houston area Krogers. I have a subscription, but I often have to buy extra copies and Kroger has been the most consistent source. I have also found SWAT at either Borders or Barnes & Noble (I forget which is by my office) from time to time.
Old February 24, 2005, 01:18 PM   #11
sjstill

".... like not having to go from page 1 to page 80 to finish the article. I like the fact that I just turn the page."

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner

Drives me nuts [yeah, short drive] with the 'other' rags, trying to find the last part of the article and praying that no one messed up and forgot to include it...

Only other mag I really look forward to is "The Police Marksman", and usually I only read the "Officer Down" column.

The primary target is what we call the thoracic triangle. Shots to this area tend to make people FDGB (“fall down go boom”).
sjstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2005, 05:50 PM   #12
USP45usp

sjstill:

Quote:
Drives me nuts [yeah, short drive] with the 'other' rags, trying to find the last part of the article and praying that no one messed up and forgot to include it...
I see that you've read "combat handguns" also That was one of the main reasons that I just let my subscription lapse. The last time was the last straw for me
Old February 24, 2005, 05:52 PM   #13
sjstill

Always felt like I wanted to wash my hands after reading CH, too....

The primary target is what we call the thoracic triangle. Shots to this area tend to make people FDGB (“fall down go boom”).
Old February 24, 2005, 08:00 PM   #14
Rich Lucibella
Staff

It's an advertising issue, guys.

New advertisers send in Ad Insert Orders with stuff like "RHPFFOAE"...."Right Hand Page, Far Forward, Opposite Appropriate Editorial". And that's just the 1/4 pqge advertisers! Then I hit them with the "Special Placement Rates" and they tend to calm down right quick.

This is what happens when advertising controls a book and editorial is positioned around it. The result....break up editorial to push some to the back and leave as much RHPFFOAE. It's one of the lessons I never understood and refused to learn....and one that Denny would have broke me of PDQ.

I get, literally, ZERO complaints on our advertising placement policies. Then again, I've been known to "fire" an advertiser or two....it's not about bravado; just common sense as far as I'm concerned.

We can't do this book without advertisers. But we won't do it unless it's about editorial. Makes sense to me....and that's good enough.
Rich
Old February 24, 2005, 08:05 PM   #15
sjstill

You're a good guy, Rich. Denny too. You ever come thru Indy and have time, I'll buy you a coffee.

Old February 26, 2005, 01:13 PM   #16
USP45usp

Quote:
Then again, I've been known to "fire" an advertiser or two.
I've noticed this also (as in, you don't allow your adverts to control YOUR magazine). And I also noticed the fair and balanced (hope Fox doesn't sue me) opinions on the firearms in the articles.

I got/get so tired of the "gushy" articles about any firearms that they choose to do an article on. Or the, "The gun really sucks but if you just put another $1000 into it then it's worth the money"... WTH (what the heck) is up with that?

And I don't know if Rich and Denny are doing this on purpose or on accident but I like to look and read the magazine for any little "surprises", like the first issue that I read and it had the Bill of Rights in it, of which I did unstaple the magazine and framed it (just me I guess).

I will admit that I did miss the last couple of issues, didn't go to WinCo and the new place that I buy my meat is an actual meat processing place (slaughter house) and then don't have magazines or such for sell.

I will state that putting TFL into hiatus for a couple of years and paying attention to the editorial and makeup of the magazine has paid off. Now we have the best of both worlds (electronic and print).
Old February 26, 2005, 02:20 PM   #17
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Thanks again, Wayne. BIG surprise coming in the July issue for you dyed-in-th-wool libertarians.

Erick-
I'd checked this about a year ago. To my recollection there's something like 12 buying groups for the PX's and we're supposed to be repped in all. Is this not the case? Details required.
Rich
Old February 27, 2005, 04:52 PM   #18
Bushwhacker

No place here in Charlotte, NOrth Carolina carries the magazine. No place that I have been able to find.....

No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson: Draft Virginia Constitution, 1776
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2005, 05:08 PM   #19
Rich Lucibella
Staff

BW-
Not even the major bookstore chains?
Rich
Old February 28, 2005, 08:46 AM   #20
Bushwhacker

Am going to check Barnes and Noble today, and will let you know. But no grocery store, drug store not even the so called newspaper/ magazine store which carries G&A, the other usual ones has SWAT......

No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson: Draft Virginia Constitution, 1776
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2005, 05:38 PM   #21
missourigunner

SWAT Magazine

Pretty fortunate in my area. B&N, Hastings, both carry SWAT Magazine. WalurusWorld, Newstands, Drugstores, still don't
missourigunner is offline   Reply With Quote