The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 25, 2005, 03:58 PM   #1
musicnut01

Legal Minimums in MI?

Hello all! Want to convert old NEF single shot 12ga into a drawer/under-the-bed home defense option. What is the minimum legal barrel length and the minimum overall length for a shotgun?

I just want to make something as short as possible becasue our home has exceptionally narrow halls and doorways.

Also, is it legal to just hack off the majority of the wooden stock to make it a pistol grip??

Thanks from a newbie!

-=Ben=-
Old January 25, 2005, 09:52 PM   #2
WillBrayjr

Welcome!!!

The shortest a shotgun barrel can be without a Class 3 license is 18in. You can saw off the buttstock to the pistol grip. I do recommend you have a gunsmith cut the barrel.
Old January 25, 2005, 09:58 PM   #3
gpannicke

Why have a gunsmith cut the barrel? I was considering doing this with a chop saw to an old Rem 870 I have, but I'm hesitant to do so because I can probably get an inexpensive used 18" barrel. Why ruin the old barrel, right? I'm also concerned about ruining the tempering of the barrel with the heat from the sawcut. But I really love throwing a wall of sparks with the chopsaw!

-G
Old January 25, 2005, 10:07 PM   #4
WillBrayjr

Why have a gunsmith do it you ask. Simple, they have the right tool to do the cutting and I don't mean a hacksaw either. They'll cut it at 18.5in, the police may measure the barrel and even if it's a shade under 18in you'll end up in serious trouble.
Old January 26, 2005, 10:06 AM   #5
musicnut01

Thanks for the help everyone!! Much appreciated!

Also, (while I'm asking) is there minimum OVERALL length?
Old January 26, 2005, 11:19 AM   #6
gordo b.

26.5" overall - go an inch longer! The way BATF measures barrels btw , is to drop a dowel down until it hits the breech in battery then they measure CAREFuLLY how far it went. Actually they have an officially calibrated dowell with the line of arrest less than exactly 18"!!. I always go 18.5" and 19" is better !