The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 31, 2015, 08:09 PM   #1
lefty620

Glock 19 Gen 4 hard magazine release

I just got a Glock 19 Gen 4, since S&W has failed to make a similar sized pistol. It's my first Glock, I shot a gen 2 as a kid and hated it. I love the thing first shooting session out I got a 2 1/2 inch 5 shot group at 25 yards. The thing shoots better than I do and I love the trigger. Its my new carry gun since I just got my CHL it just needs some fiber optic sights. The only hitch is I'm a lefty and I reversed the magazine catch, now its very hard to depress the release and it has to be pushed in really far for them to drop free. I looked and the cuts on the magazines are different for the left hand and right release, I dont know if that would effect it. Has anyone else had this problem or is it just stiff I've been sitting here depress it hoping it will get lighter. Also I dont anticipate having to reload having 15+1 onboard but its always safe to have a spare just in case.
Old September 1, 2015, 08:56 AM   #2
SIMP

Lefty, I've never had an issue with mag releases on my Glocks. I hope it works out for you. The 19 is a good all around gun. Good choice.
Old September 1, 2015, 10:44 AM   #3
g.willikers

Why not put the mag release back on the "regular" side and activate it with your trigger finger instead of the thumb?
Much faster and easier unless you have extra long digits.
Old September 1, 2015, 02:04 PM   #4
Tactical Jackalope

I agree with G.Willikers.

That said I have a GEN 4 Glock 19 that's my every day carry as well. Always has been smooth as butter. Like all my other Glock's have been.

I have a friend who's wrong handed as well, we put his mag release on to better suit him and it's been great for him.

Give Glock a call.
Old September 1, 2015, 07:22 PM   #5
marine6680

Could it be that the spring is a little stiff being that it is being used in the opposite direction it was prior?

It shouldn't be stiff unless its not quite put in just right.
Old September 3, 2015, 07:21 AM   #6
JDBerg

I know a few lefty Glock shooters but they shoot theirs with the mag release on the left anyway. You could call Glock Customer Service at 770-432-1202 to find out what can be done about this.
Old September 5, 2015, 03:17 PM   #7
2450paul

Mag release

Once again JD has the right answer
Old September 15, 2015, 03:20 AM   #8
drobs

Another +1 to g.willikers comment.

I too am a lefty and leave the mag release on left side of the pistol.
Figure that is the place they are located in most semi-auto pistols. Get it the habit of using your index finger to release the mag.

Tags
9mm , glock 19 gen 4