The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 4, 2000, 01:29 PM   #1
jimmy

My dealer just received two brand-new U.S.-made Beretta 92FS pistols. They were made at the same time. In fact, they have consecutive serial numbers. They also share the same problem. On both pistols, the slide stop consistently fails to engage the slide when the slide is pulled all the way back on an empty mag. The stop either stays fully lowered, or it rises only very slightly.

The dealer and I could find no grease or crud around the stops that would cause the problem. Also, the problem is evidently not caused by the mags. When we tried the mags in a different Beretta 92, the stop of that pistol functioned perfectly.

Now my question: does this slide stop problem sound like something the factory service department can easily fix? Ordinarily I wouldn't buy a gun that has a problem right out of the box. But this pair of 92s is from a limited production run, and this is probably my only chance to get one like them.

Thanks.
Old December 5, 2000, 10:04 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Jimmy, yes it is something that they could easily fix. The stops just weren't fitted correctly. They will probably just replace them. George
Old December 5, 2000, 10:06 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

I meant to also say that if I was that dealer they would have already have been sent back to the wholesaler for replacements. It's difficult to ask a customer to buy something knowing he's going to have to pay an additional $25 or more to ship it back to a manufacturer and have it repaired before it will work correctly. George
Old December 5, 2000, 11:31 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, George and guys,

George, I would like to deal with you.

Unfortunately, it is becoming all too common for dealers to answer customer complaints by either handing them the address of the manufacturer or charging shipping and handling to return the gun to the factory. This may be a combination or more poorly made products, more customer complaints which often amount to whining over normal wear, and less knowledge on the part of gun dealers.

I heard one dealer answer a complaint about failure to fire in a 9mm S&W by offering to send the gun back for service at a significant "handling" charge. The customer said he would think about it. Once outside, I suggested that if he used 9mm Luger instead of .380 ACP, the gun just might work. The dealer had not even bothered to look at the box of ammo the customer brought in. I think the customer will not bother that dealer again.

Jim
Old December 5, 2000, 11:46 PM   #5
BBBBill

Along with the outright greed & laziness that is all to prevalent, many "gun dealers" don't have a clue as to what makes any gun work/not work. It's just another commodity to sell to whatever sucker comes through the door. His problem after that.