The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 29, 2012, 07:14 PM   #1
Hansam

GhostBlind

Ok after I posted in the wrong place now I'm going to repost in the right place! Sorry for my idiocy.

So I was thinking of purchasing a new blind for deer season - archery and gun.

I'm seriously taking a look at GhostBlind blinds. They're mirror panels that reflect the environment around you and makes you virtually invisible, supposedly.

I've been to their website and watched the videos, seen the pictures and read testimonials. The thing is - I'm still skeptical.

So now I'm asking the question - have any of you hunters on this forum used a GhostBlind or something similar? How did it do for you? Are they robust or fragile? Would you recommend buying something like this?

Here's the website in case you're curious.

http://www.ghostblind.com/index.html
Old March 29, 2012, 07:33 PM   #2
musher

Wouldn't it stand out when the sun reflected off of it?
Old March 29, 2012, 08:42 PM   #3
twobit

Sounds like a stupid concept to me, but hey I hunt out of my kitchen door or bedroom window
Old March 30, 2012, 04:38 PM   #4
rickyrick

The space aged photon deflection shield. Designed to remove currency from inhabitant beings.

I seen a commercial but don't think it works at all angles. I envision some tragic looney tunes event happening.
Old March 30, 2012, 11:23 PM   #5
Hansam

The blinds seem to be put up in a way that angles them downward slightly so when looked at from the outside they only reflect what's on the ground. Theoretically sunlight shouldn't affect their performance adversely.

I know it sounds gimmicky but I was just wondering if anyone had any REAL experience with such blinds.

Anyway I think I'll go by way of the typical cloth blind for this coming deer season but the idea of a blind that actually truly blends into its background has always intrigued me. Honestly if this thing works as well as its manufacturers claim it does I'd be willing to purchase one. Now I have to figure out how to convince the manufacturer to let me take one for a test run (or 2 or 3 or 4... etc.).
Old March 31, 2012, 12:06 PM   #6
rickyrick

It sounds like it makes sense, depending on cost and easy deployment.

I'm still imagining a crazed buck battling himself while the poor hunter behind wishes for toil3t paper.
Old March 31, 2012, 07:27 PM   #7
jhnrckr

a full fledged tent style blind contains human scent
Old April 3, 2012, 06:02 PM   #8
BUFF

They're basically a folding mirror. They're way more expensive than they should be and don't stand up in the wind very well.
Old April 3, 2012, 06:25 PM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

We understand vision as 3D but we do not know if critters have more "D"s such as temp (like infrared) or "color separation" or other factors...

So you take 3D and reduce it with the mirror affect to 2D at best but some speculate it becomes "1D" to animals with minimal "reasoning" ability... Than you add the glare or reflection if present and you may as well tote a car windshield with 1982 mirror tint film and hide behind it...

To hide yerself when you peek around it, just wear them mirror lens CHiPs sunglasses "Ponch" and John Baker wore for uber concealment...
Brent
Old April 3, 2012, 09:55 PM   #10
Bel5191

I read an article in either Outdoor Life or Field & Stream where they used something similar out west hunting pronghorn. They said that it spooked the pronghorns every time.
Old April 4, 2012, 01:29 AM   #11
farmerboy

They sell around here for around 1000 dollars and are 4x4x4 and are angled at the ground. Always wander if big hunter put in the woods and then walks for 3 hours around it trying to find his stand. Lol. Me I don't put out that kind of money like that. I'm another one that shoots them out my living room windows.