The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 12, 2011, 12:10 PM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Q fer the reloader folks...

http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...eloader-90547/
In this thread, he is asked about "bar and bushing sizes"...

He replies... "says 12ga .0, does not look to be cut for bushings"

So do I want to own this little Jr.?

Brent
Old June 12, 2011, 12:58 PM   #2
zippy13

Brent, there are several versions of MEC bars:
  • The first ones had two holes, one determined the powder charge, the other the shot. The bars are marked to indicate the hole sizes. The bar of my first MEC delivered around 18-grs of Red Dot which worked for 12-ga target loads for many years.
  • The next version of the MEC bars enlarged the powder hole to accept the familiar interchangeable bushings. The shot charge was still fixed. Later versions added an elastic buffer (for steel shot) in the shot hole.
An original bar shouldn't be a deal breaker.
Old June 12, 2011, 04:08 PM   #3
SauerGrapes

Your looking at an old reloader. I have one of the 600 jr reloaders from the 60's. The old charge bars were set up to use Red Dot and other powders of the time.
You can simply buy the new modern charge bars from Mec or a supplier and it will fit right in the old machine. Mec even sells replacement parts for the old 600jr. I still use mine.
Charge bar #'s are the 302 sreies for the single stage Mecs. 30278 for 7\8oz, 302100 for 1oz and 302118 for 1 1\8oz of shot.
If I'm not mistaken, the old "O" bar was 3 drams of Red Dot and 1 1\8 oz of shot.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old June 12, 2011, 05:48 PM   #4
TheKlawMan

They even sell charge bars where I shoot, which is Prado Shooting Park in Chino, and the only guns store I checked also sold them.

I jusst bought a used MEC Sizemaster and I think I will be using a universal charge bar. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=746153
Old June 13, 2011, 03:19 PM   #5
BigJimP

I'd say pass on it Brent ....

you can buy a brand new one for $ 138 .... and add your own sheet of plywood ....

http://www.recobstargetshop.com/browse.cfm/2,198.html
Old June 13, 2011, 04:02 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

For the price of a new one, I would add some "starboard" plastic for my base. I can get "drops" from marine industry in 3/4 for 10 bucks for a 24X24 or bigger.

I dropped some cash I earned in the bank account so maybe the "Father's Day Fairy" will leave that purdy Mossberg 930 next to my bed so I can wake up to breakfast in bed and see the gun... OKAY!!! Breakfast in bed is askin' a bit much but some fine eatin' biscuits and gravy are in order.

Brent
Old June 13, 2011, 04:53 PM   #7
BigJimP

sounds good to me ....
Old June 14, 2011, 10:24 PM   #8
TheKlawMan

Go for it Brent. I paid about half the new cost of an MEC reloader for a used one, and after loading a box I have found only it needs a $3 part. That price Jim quoted you is a fair price for a new one (A local gun store quoted me $200 for one, and they are also reasonable on shippping if you want new.)
Old June 15, 2011, 12:48 AM   #9
.45 COLT

The "0" bar was the standard bar shipped on new MEC presses from the Super 250 on until the newer-style bars were introduced. It dropped 1 1/8 ounces of shot and - 18.5 Grains of Red Dot (3DE), 19 Grains of Green Dot (3 DE), 21 Grains of PB (2 3/4 DE) and severel other powders that are no longer available.

$100 seems a little high. You might be able to do a lot better if you look on Craigslist.

DC
Old June 15, 2011, 02:01 AM   #10
TheKlawMan

Brent. I didn't even see how much they were asking for that one.
Old June 15, 2011, 02:10 AM   #11
TheKlawMan

Brent. I didn't even see how much they were asking for that one. You will almost certainly need a new charge bar with it and at least one powder bushing. I wouldn't go over $50 for it.

Most Jr.s come with a charge bar that drops 1 1/8 oz of shot and powder per bushings. Some use an adjustable charge bar made in Canada that I believe costs about $20. They can be bought on e-bay. Some of the guys like it and some do not. I have one but am not famililiar with it enough to know if I like it.

A nice optional feature is the EZ Primer feed.

You can get a nice deal on one off of Ebay, but the shipping can kill the deal, which is a reason to check Craig's list. Someone here, perhaps it was one ounce suggested I look on it and I found one the next day an hour's drive from me.
Old June 15, 2011, 07:21 AM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I will likely buy a new unit... I am of the sort who likes to know the history of an important item. Such as firearms... I quit looking at used guns many years ago.

With a new unit, I can simply post up what I am lookin' at, let the experienced guys look over the info and they will be able to verify... or not... that the item is infact what I am needing.

Brent
Old June 15, 2011, 04:58 PM   #13
BigJimP

We'll be more than happy to help you spend your money ....
Old June 15, 2011, 05:07 PM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Ya'll love to spend OPM more than your own I am sure!
Wait 'til I blame the new gun and reloading addiction on my TFL buds!
Brent
Old June 15, 2011, 05:27 PM   #15
BigJimP

Sure ....blame Dave and Zippy ...and maybe OneOunce .../ surely not me ...
Old June 15, 2011, 07:00 PM   #16
mwar410

I found that sometimes used reloaders are better than the new ones, they are broken in, and have the querks out.
Old June 15, 2011, 07:37 PM   #17
olddrum1

For a general idea and something to look at.
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...categoryId/426
They will send you a catalog I believe.
Old June 16, 2011, 04:22 PM   #18
markj

Brent, I have one of them mecs, they make a universal charge bar that lets you adjust the amount of charge and shot which is what I have in mine cost was like 30.00 way way back.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CF0Q8wIwBA#

You can get a real good progressive for 268 this is how I would go, the mec jr is a PIA. To do high volumn go wit ha progressive, you will like it a lot.
Old June 16, 2011, 09:56 PM   #19
TheKlawMan

Brent, Blame BigJim. The one thing these characters tried to teach me long ago, and they were balls on right, is the gun isn't the big expense. Its the ammunition and target fees.

So going with a new machine isn't a bad idea. If I valued the time it took to fix a few things on the used one, actually the time it took to figure out what in need of replacement parts were causing me grief, I would have done better getting a new one. (After playing with mine for a couple of days I found it needed two parts. I got them from from a local ammo supply distributor, who stocks all the MEC parts, for just over $7 and now it should work as slick as a new machine.)

The other very true law of shotgun shooting they imparted is that the wife, if they are not shooters, don't understand that you are saving money by buying supplies in quantity. It is a losing argument that recommends to me the virtues of cash purchases.

I prudently failed to mention, when I got home tonight, how I saved $20 on 20 rounds of trap by stocking up on them, as opposed to buying tokens as needed.

I like the part about spending OPM, but not spending their money on them but on me.

Re the adjustable universal charge bar, they currently run about $40. I think I like them, but if you change loads frequently powder bushings may be better. I read an interesting old post by BJP about reaming out bushings to get precise drops.
Old June 16, 2011, 11:03 PM   #20
zippy13

One caveat about the universal charge bar, you'll want a scale. For years I relied on the LEE and MEC charts for dippers and bushings. I've since learned that the charts are typically conservative. The universal bars (I've got 4 MECs with them) come with a chart, too; but, you'll be much happier fine tuning your loads with a scale. One reason is that shoot drops differently with respect to its size. MEC has/had a bar specifically for Skeet competitors that dropped 1-1/8 oz of #9s -- the standard 1-1/8 oz bar didn't.
Old June 16, 2011, 11:08 PM   #21
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKlawMan
I read an interesting old post by BJP about reaming out bushings to get precise drops.
Most of us who've been loading with MECs have some bumped bushings that have a plus sign, or two, scratched on them. I'm happy to say, those days are long behind me.
Old June 16, 2011, 11:56 PM   #22
TheKlawMan

Hi, Zippy. I am still not sure if I like the Universal Bar. It seems fine, until it drops a powder load .3 grains over the setting.

As to conservative settings, I couldn't understand why when I got it the settings were so high above the recipe the seller had been using. After messing with it for a ridiculous amount of time, I read on line that powder drops were accurate or as much as a half a grain light.

It took me a while to get used to the Lee Safety Powder Scale that I bought. but it is fairly accurate (I think).

I am not sure but think the problem with occasional heavy drops (just one was 1.3 grains heavy. all the rest have been within .3 grains of the lightgest drop. eg. If a recipe calls for 15 grains, I set it so that most drops are between 14.0 and 16.0.

I just realized that the "Pro Check" was bent from use and it occassionally bumped against what is called the "Wad Guide Bracket". That bump may have thrown things off. I will see as I got a new "Pro Check" for <$6. If you recall your old MEC Jr, the Pro Check is that black piece bolted to the charge bar.

I looked at the MEC bushings chart and until I read an old post of BigJim's, concerning what you call "bumping", I wondered how you got an accurate drop if the bushing wasn't quite the right size.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; June 17, 2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old June 17, 2011, 10:55 AM   #23
BigJimP

Ok, I'll take the blame .... ...
"Trust me, I'm here to help ..." ....
"and the check is in the mail ..."

Personally I like the bushings over the universal charge bars / although I have not tried them in the last 20 yrs or so ...I thought there were prone to coming loose and kind of "fussy" ...and the bushings are just easy and straight forward to use.

I've also installed a new collar that holds the charge bar ...with a hole in it / covered by a plastic disc (cover) ...so to change the powder bushing all you have to do is unscrew the cover and drop a new bushing in. Quick and easy...although once you have it set / unless you're always changing powders - or different hulls or something - its no big deal...
Old June 18, 2011, 01:10 AM   #24
zippy13

TheKlawMan,
My friend, are you using a powder baffle and the proper washer with your universal charge bar?
Sorry, it's been about 20-years since I used a 600 Jr -- "Pro check" sounds familiar but I don't recall what it does.
Old June 18, 2011, 01:36 PM   #25
TheKlawMan

Zippy, our friend. You may have nailed the problem. The pro check thing wasn't the problem, but I am glad I replaced it as it was bent.

The brass washer isn't there! I am not clear on how this may be causing undue pressure on the rubber seal. If the diameter of the brass washer is small enough that the baffle's feed neck, which is under spring pressure, seals against the washer and not the rubber seal, that would release an inordinate amount of pressure on the seal.

The instructions for installing the washer are at http://multiscalecharge.com/products_powderbaffle.php

The istallation instructions are to "Remove Rubber-Grommet from powder opening, just above the Bar and place our Brass Washer, with the sharp edge facing down, on top of Bar. Put back the Rubber-Grommet on top of Brass Washer.
• Screw Powder Baffle all the way in.
• Screw Powder bottle onto Powder Baffle.

I wonder if a common brass washer from Home Depot will fit. If not I can order on from Canada.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; June 18, 2011 at 03:10 PM.