The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 15, 2010, 10:07 PM   #1
waca

Shooting Range Kit Glasses and Ear muffs

my wife and I have just starting shooting (we don't even have guns yet as we are trying to find one we like. There are so many)
so for starters we are looking for glasses and protective ear muff.

Can someone recommend a kit that comes with both or a combo as we don't want to go crazy with price. (rather spend that on a good gun)

Browning Shooting Range Kit is one but I'm afraid they maybe too cheap in quality. We plan to go at least once a month to the range

Also we are looking for a good small powerful LED flashlight
recommendations would be great

thanks
Old February 16, 2010, 12:04 AM   #2
jp_over

i'd just use the remington ones (glasses & hearing pro) at wal-mart. mag lites work well also.
Old February 16, 2010, 12:55 AM   #3
LukeA

"Shooting glasses" are just safety glasses with the price jacked way up.

For a flashlight, you will be pretty hard-pressed to not find anything you like here. This one is one that I bet would float to the top of your list.
Old February 16, 2010, 01:09 AM   #4
KevinBeyerJr

Shooting "Atire"

I agree with Luke, just look for a pair of safety glasses that does have the shield covering the sides of your eyes. Also, if you don't wear a hat normally already, wear one. On some ranges, the wall is not so high next to you and the shooter next to might hit you with his expelling casings. That is very distracting, especially when they are hot and hit your forehead right as you are pulling the trigger.
Old February 16, 2010, 07:19 AM   #5
waca

Thanks for the advice about the hat I will wear one as I did a hot one bounce off my head once.

So now I need ear muff that can handle a hat

anyone recommend one that is comfortable with a hat

is there anything else I should know or get for the range?

thanks
Old February 19, 2010, 11:05 AM   #6
old bear

Please remember it is never a good idea to scrimp on safety equipment, you can always replace equipment but we only have two eyes and once hearing is lost it does not return, I have learned this the hard way.

1-Get good quality glasses, cheap ones will have impair your vision; give you eye strain, and headaches. I happen to have a pair with the S&W logo on them that I purchased several years ago at a safety supply company they were less than $10.00. I use the clear lenses most of the time but I also have a pair with the yellow lenses.
2-Hearing protection I use plugs that are rated at a 20Db. reduction and muffs rated at 30Db. Reduction.
3-Any kind of ball cap may be a good idea; I always try and shoot in either the far right of left lane.
4-I keep a few “sanaWIpes” with my shooting supplies, so I can clean my hands as soon as I’m done shooting. When I’m done putting my gear away I wash my hands and face with warm water and lots of soap.
5-As for flashlights I have an LED light that is powered by three AAA batteries I bought Wal-Mart years ago, paid $12.00 for it, and it works fine. If lose it or give it to someone I’m not out anything.

Last edited by old bear; February 19, 2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old February 19, 2010, 11:23 AM   #7
oneounceload

Quote:
as we don't want to go crazy with price.
What's your eye sight and hearing worth to you?

For metallic I insert a 29db NRR plug into each ear and then use a 29db NRR set of muffs over the ears, especially for indoor or under a cover where the sounds gets amplified.

I prefer safety glasses of the polycarbonate type that can withstand a close shotgun blast - I know that lead shards and minor ricochets aren't going to blind me. Depending on light conditions, I use lenses of various colors to enhance my vision
Old February 19, 2010, 11:40 AM   #8
Baphomet

Awesome earmuffs and about $20:

http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-97010-U.../dp/B000PW98WO

Pair them with these:

http://www.amazon.com/Remington-Shoo...bxgy_hi_text_c

Voila!

Not endorsing Amazon, btw...
Old February 19, 2010, 08:10 PM   #9
SheepNutz

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby, you can get a set of safety glasses and electronic earmuffs for under $20.

Here's the muffs:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92851

And the glasses:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=98366