The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 21, 2006, 01:22 PM   #26
ditty22

i cant even come to think a person in the right mind would carry a .22 for CCW and on top of that a p22 of all guns. Id rather throw a punch that carry that pistol.
Old January 21, 2006, 05:52 PM   #27
kymasabe

There are some really effective .22LR rounds....Stinger are good, CCI Velocitors are hot, and I hear QuickShocks are awesome little rounds.

the debate over .22 being too little to carry will go on forever but one things for sure, I wouldn't want one pointed at MY head...it gets my respect.

My P3AT was a bigger round but all I could hit was COM at 10 yards or less. With my Taurus PT-22, I had one extra round and it was so accurate, I could AIM if I had to and KNEW I could hit it. Never felt under-gunned
Old January 21, 2006, 07:32 PM   #28
LICCW

ditty22: You volunteering to get popped with one to see if its worse than getting punched?
Old January 21, 2006, 07:59 PM   #29
gddyup

I had this discussion last night at the firehouse...

I don't care what you carry.. It's all about placement. Put the bullets where they'll do the most damage and you've put yourself in an advantagous position regardless of caliber.

"Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement" - Unknown.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert A. Heinlein
Old January 21, 2006, 09:55 PM   #30
LICCW

gddyup: +1
Old January 21, 2006, 10:17 PM   #31
ditty22

Shot placement is key forsure ,but the p22 was junk Imo
Old January 21, 2006, 10:37 PM   #32
Plated

Quote:
Shot placement is key forsure ,but the p22 was junk Imo
What was your exp. with it? malfuntion often, poor accuracy??

Guess I should go and research it more I still want to give one a try.
Old January 22, 2006, 12:29 AM   #33
Mizzle187

Early P22's had problems and the cause was the magazines. The problem was easily fixed by Walther. I own a P22 with over 1000 round through it with not one problem. Ive heard though that you have to find the right ammo for them. I guess I was lucky and picked right the first time! Remington Thunderbolts. I would not hesitate to buy another one even a used one. I would go ahead and buy some new mags for it to make sure you had the new ones if you couldnt spot old ones. Would I carry mine? Only if I had to but I have alot of other choices. They are fun as hell to shoot!
Old January 22, 2006, 03:18 AM   #34
joneb

I have a Iver Johnson .22 with a cracked frame it's been that way for some time it was picky about what it ate, only rem. yellow jackets well it was and is a piece of doo. but I like the .22lr with the proper gun it is capable. I have a S&W 422 /4" it is reliable and fairly accurate. well better than fairly. I got it for back packing and as a plinker. I am quite pleased. for self defence I'd go for a wheel gun .22lr can be less reliable than center fire.
Old January 22, 2006, 08:19 AM   #35
cal

Self Defense 22

Justification for S/D 22.
One in the eye or ear or maybe two will do.
IF I can get the magic distance tween me and it,
I get on my donkey and git!
Old January 23, 2006, 09:26 AM   #36
urbanassault

After this weekend Im not sure I would choose to carry a .22, there was a lady in the paper that got shot 11 times and lived anywhere from the mid torso to her thigh and a bunch in her hip. Also I just picked up a Bersa Thunder .380 and that is a cool little gun!!

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old January 23, 2006, 11:40 AM   #37
Derius_T

I personally would not carry a .22 as my primary self defense weapon if I was able to carry something else. That being said, I have, like I said carried one as a backup. They are very accurate, and there is no question that they will put a human down. Its all about shot placement.

My thinking though is that the average person, in a life threatening situation, will be suprised and/or too nervous to take the cool shots necessary to neutralize a situation with a .22. Something with a little more 'umph' to it, and it isn't as critical WHERE you hit them, just THAT you hit them.
Old January 24, 2006, 03:33 AM   #38
joneb

if some one were to ask me what round has killed more living things than any other I would guess the .22lr . it all comes down to were the bullet goes.
Old January 24, 2006, 07:44 AM   #39
Striker

.22 PPK/s was my primary carry gun in several countries in Europe and the Asian sub-continent where "military caliber" handguns were prohibited. Never felt particulary undergunned, as it was all I was allowed!

RLTW
"Hope is not a course of action, nor a method of execution..."
Old March 16, 2006, 01:09 PM   #40
atlctyslkr

Carry a .22 Derringer when I can't easily conceal anything else. Fits in a case for glasses and since the case is metal it gets through metal dectectors without throwing up any fuss. I just take it out and declare it with my pocket change. Wouldn't try this at an airport but the cheap ones at baseball games and stuff don't pick it up. It's better than nothing! Could buy me some time to retreat. Still sounds like a gunshot and most people can't "name that round" by sound alone.
Old March 16, 2006, 01:44 PM   #41
fisherman66

My concern about carrying a 22lr is not the ballistics, but the reliablility of ignition. That said, I'd have no problem with carrying a 22lr revolver (it's the auto-loader that worries me.)
Old March 17, 2006, 12:22 PM   #42
threegun

I would never carry a 22lr as a primary or backup. There are several 32/380's that are the same size and have much better stopping power.

I own a walther p-22 and it also functions flawlessly and shoots fairly accurately.
Old March 17, 2006, 09:06 PM   #43
mica

I open carried my P22 tonight , don't have a holster for my Glock 17 and wanted to test the 'open carry' waters....I've only had it a week and it's been reliable(400 rounds) and a fun little gun to shoot. I can see myself carrying it concealed occassionally.
Old March 17, 2006, 09:23 PM   #44
PATH

I have never carried a .22LR as a ccw. Lowest I'll go is a .32. Just my comfort level is all!

'How MacPherson Held The Floor'
Old March 17, 2006, 09:44 PM   #45
Anthony2

Arming myself with a flame suit....

As illogical as this may sound for certain situations, I am going to carry my Beretta 6" Neo w/ CCI stingers...There are just some cases where my S.A. XD-9 is too cumbersome to conceal and still fit comfortably. Say what you will that is my intention.

+1 to not wanting to be hit with a stinger.

"Baaa or Freedom!" - Ted Nugent

"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth." - Ghandi

"The Addiction to Guns, The only addiction to ever SAVE a life!"- Me
Old March 17, 2006, 11:26 PM   #46
czc3513

beretta 21 22lr
Old March 18, 2006, 08:05 AM   #47
threegun

Anthony, CCI stingers work great.................................on rabbits,squirels,and other small game. If you want to handicap yourself to each his own. There are guns out their that are small and potent. I just bought my son a Kahr CM-9. Tiny little thing for a 9mm. Fits his 9year old hands perfectly.