The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 22, 2009, 05:29 PM   #1
s2thalayer

coyotes

does anyone have any idea how to successfully hunt coyotes? we have a big problem here in Danville, Virginia with them. Killed one of my dogs last year, and they kill anything they can find. the rabid amounts of them are rising and they show no fear at all towards humans. there is/was a bounty here for heads, i dont know if its still around but regardless im killing all i can just to "take back" my property. im purchasing an AR-15 and i plan on using that cause im not playing games.

i hunt deer here and there but not a lot, and have never hunted coyotes, so i have no idea where to start. help?

(also on a second note, in my particular state, hunting with more than a 4 shot clip is illegal. and i know no one wants any part of helping the breaking of a hunting law especially in the forums of "law abiding gun holders", but this is for self defense. these damn things get rabid and i dont want to risk it at all on 4 shots if there is a pack of 10. call me paranoid. but anyway to my question, lets say i turn in some heads for the bounty, do they ask questions regarding firearms or methods used?)
Old December 22, 2009, 05:35 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

A single "keyword" of "coyote" in the advanced search feature using (in title) only netted 9 pages for you to sift thru...
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...archid=4039315
Bet that will get you a start.
Brent
Old December 22, 2009, 05:44 PM   #3
fastforty

You be pretty SOL trying to convince a game warden that the 30 round mag is hanging out of your AR because you're out in the field on a mission of self defense. Practice changing magazines ("emergency reloads" where the empty is dropped to the ground as a full one is being brought up to insert) until you can do it without looking (should take one second or less). It's not uncommon to lose your gun over a violation, sometimes the rest of your gear & even your truck (not to mention your hunting rights).

Last edited by fastforty; December 22, 2009 at 05:45 PM. Reason: info
Old December 22, 2009, 05:57 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
hunting with more than a 4 shot clip is illegal
In many states, this rule is limited to "game animals" and 'yotes are often not on this list so the 30 round mag may be legit for varmints and vermin... check the wording of the laws to know.

In Fla, we don't have many 'yote hunters as most think it is illegal to use e-callers. It is fully legal as the law reads "No e-callers for game animals"...
Brent
Old December 22, 2009, 06:06 PM   #5
Uncle Buck

Bring extra 'clips' or magazines or what ever you want to call them. Bring another rifle, carry a pistol.

I have very little luck calling them in with any artificial caller, even an e-caller (maybe I have the wrong tape?)

When I was a kid, the old guys used to tie a puppy out and let it whine and that would bring in a 'yote or two.

I have used live chickens. Works for me. I do have to caution though, if you leave your bait out overnight, you have no way of knowing what time the dog comes through.

If in fact you do run into a rabid coyote, make sure you have no open cuts or wounds on your hands when handling the thing. Do not even bother trying to skin it out. Rabies are nothing to screw around with.

The probability of a pack of coyote all having rabies are pretty slim. Usually animals with rabies become anti-social and are run out of the pack. But I do agree with you, I do not want to run into a pack unarmed, although I do not believe they would be all that aggressive, I still do not want to find out.
Old December 22, 2009, 06:28 PM   #6
Catfish25p2000

Dude, I really doubt that you will get attacked by a pack of rabid coyotes. It is pretty difficult to even get within 100 yards of one that knows your there. I'm not saying it cant happen, just doesn't happen very often. You don't really have to know how to call to get them in. Go to your local sporting goods store and look for a mouth call with an instructional tape or CD with it. I did this and called in my first yote with very little instruction. They pretty much come to the most God awful sounds you can produce. If if sounds like something in more pain than one can imagine, they will probably come to check it out for dinner. Give it a shot, you may just be surprised. If you have that big of a problem with them eating your animals, just set up about 30 yards from whatever they keep eating in the early morning or late evening, and open up on those nasty critters! Like another member stated, most state laws on mag restriction are on upland game and deer. Stop in to your local bait/gun shop, they should be able to steer you in the right direction as far as mag capacity for a specific critter. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
Old December 22, 2009, 06:37 PM   #7
Catfish25p2000

Here you go...

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting...ns/general.asp

Maybe take a better look at this, but it looks like you are good to go on Coyotes unless it is Sunday.
Never heard of that, but hey, I didn't see anything about high cap mags for vermin/varmints.
Old December 22, 2009, 07:14 PM   #8
reloader28

Like was already stated, get a couple mouth calls. They're alota fun. If you are by yourself, I would also recomend a electric call of some kind or other. We've had good luck with them.
Since there are so many and maybe not much hunting pressure on them ,you should be able to call them in easily for a while before they catch on. They will get gun shy in a hurry if you miss much.
Get camo'd up good cause they have excellent vision.
We pick a spot and call for 20min, then move 400-450yds and call again. Coyotes can hear farther than that, but we only go that far to stay at the edge of their hearing. Hopefully they dont hear us coming that way.

Most mag restrictions are for game hunting, not varmint hunting. Better check with Game and Fish to make sure though.

Last edited by reloader28; December 22, 2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old December 23, 2009, 06:26 AM   #9
10-96

Also, there are a lot... tons- of yote hunting dvd's and videos on the market. These guys usually do pretty good or else they wouldn't put their time and effort into the vid. Grab a few when you see them cheap and try different things and tune your tips, tricks, and methods to what works best for you and your area.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old December 26, 2009, 08:17 PM   #10
Hunter Customs

One of my favorite pastimes is calling in coyotes.
I've had them come in on a dead run, one time I shot one that slid to a stop 20 yards from me.
As for coyotes attacking humans, yes they will attack humans and they don't have to be rabid.
As a matter of fact there was a 19 year old young lady killed by two coyotes in Canada this year.
There's many more attacks on humans then most people realize.
Keep in mind, that when calling you are sounding like their dinner so I advise keeping something solid against your back.
Try some calling, once you master it you will find it can get pretty exciting.
Good luck.
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old December 26, 2009, 10:50 PM   #11
jdscholer

Wow! You've got the kind of coyote problem that many of us would love to have. There are many thousands of us scattered around the country who regularly go out and work our butts off to call and kill a few coyotes. You shouldn't have too much trouble recruiting help if ya want some. And unless you've got some weird, low IQ subspecies of coyote, they'll soon start getting tired of being shot at and keep a little distance from the barnyard. jd
Old December 28, 2009, 09:36 AM   #12
N.H. Yankee

Coyotes are apt to respond to many calls, one day in my driveway I was using an air drill that has a high pitched whine. When I stopped the drill I heard a pack of coyotes howling no more than a couple hundred yards away, moments later they stopped. I once again started the drill up and sure enough the pack started howling again and moments later stopped after the drill stopped. I did this about 5 times and they responded each time.

Here in NH many turkey hunters tell me coyotes respond to and come in to turkey calls. I think they will respond to whatever their natural food source is in your area. I have found for the most part dawn and dusk are best as around here they tend to be nocturnal.
Old December 28, 2009, 10:34 AM   #13
Hunter Customs

N.H. Yankee
Your story about the whine of the high speed drill made me think about a couple of old coyote hunters I knew.
They would ride around in a area known to have a coyote population and use an old high pitch siren of some sort to locate where the packs were.
Then they would go to the land owners to aquire permission to set up on their land and call the coyotes in.
Their method seemed to work as they did account for a large number of coyote kills.
It's also true that coyotes will respond and come to a variety of sounds. However in general they are pretty smart so if one calls them in and misses the shot it can get pretty hard to call them in again.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com