The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 3, 2008, 04:08 PM   #1
ShootingNut

One Shaky Dude

First time out with my new Crimson Laser Grips, on my M&P40 today.
Glad nobody else was at the range. Didn't group that bad, low and left as I have not sighted them it yet.
But hey, do most look shaky when using a laser at 50 feet off hand? That is downright embarrassing. Shooting on a rest is much better of couse, but man oh man the old dot is just a darting around the target.
Regards,
SN
Old October 3, 2008, 06:38 PM   #2
AK103K

Dont feel bad, it looked like Katheryn Hepburn was shooting my gun when I had a laser on it. Looked like a follow the bouncing ball thingie we used to see as kids.

I had troubles with sensory overload too, as the sights and the dot did not coincide on the target when shooting with both eyes open and bringing the gun up like I usually do. The dot is zeroed at one distance the sights at another, your left eye sees the dot and the right the sights and diya! brain freeze!
Old October 5, 2008, 08:12 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

laser testing

Aids our ability to see how unsteadily we hold our handguns; considerably more distracting, for me, during low-light and zero-light testing.

Not on my guns, nope; I'm sticking with flashlight(s) in my hand.
Old October 5, 2008, 10:29 AM   #4
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

It's a revelation, isn't it?

Now try doing it in front of Todd Jarrett after he demonstrates his stance by holding the dot on a thumbtack from across the room while he talks.
Old October 7, 2008, 06:27 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

so what

You should see how he holds his fork; unmannered lout.

(Okay, I'm joking; he's truly a gentleman. And I ain't he).
Old October 7, 2008, 06:28 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

Top Secret: not joking

(I think Mr. Jarrett is actually a robot.)
Old October 7, 2008, 09:00 AM   #7
tranks

i have a hard time keeping it steady using sandbags so don't feel too bad.
(but i'm normally shooting it beyond 15 yds)

"Stan, what did I tell you about watching the Osbournes? It's going to make you retarded!" Stan's Mom (south park)
Old October 7, 2008, 05:55 PM   #8
vytoland

downright embarrassing.

No need to be , NUT. When I practice at the range with my S&W model 686-4pp I can see that I don't hold my aim perfectly steady. But I am able to shoot consistant 3" groups.

I think that may be all I need , to get the job done, when the need arises.
Old October 7, 2008, 06:13 PM   #9
AK103K

Just curious, but at what ranges and how do you boys who use them practice?

3" groups sounds good and is good, but it sounds like deliberate, slow fire type shooting to me. Do you practice from concealment from the holster? If so, do you bring the gun up or shoot, or from another position?
Old October 7, 2008, 06:30 PM   #10
Night Watch
Registration in progress

A shaky laser dot is often a result of aiming the pistol instead of aiming the dot.
Old October 7, 2008, 06:37 PM   #11
AK103K

That sort of makes sense.

My biggest problem was doing just that. Its so ingrained to "aim the gun" that the dot caused a lot of confusion, especially when the sights are there.
Old October 7, 2008, 06:42 PM   #12
Night Watch
Registration in progress

Now you're onto it!
Old October 7, 2008, 06:46 PM   #13
vytoland

deliberate, slow fire type shooting

I am firing a round every two seconds or there a bout. From a standing position, I'll pick up the gun from the table and fire off six rounds at a target about 30 feet away. I don't have laser grips.

I am right handed and only have sight in my right eye. I haven't been shooting very long, but my S&W has really made it an enjoyable sport for me.
Old October 7, 2008, 06:53 PM   #14
AK103K

Quote:
Now you're onto it!
Not any more.

I had one and gave it a good shot and decided I'll stay with my simple night sighted pistols.
Old October 7, 2008, 07:00 PM   #15
Night Watch
Registration in progress

In pitch dark I'd rather have a laser than a pair of night sights.

That bright green glowing orb of a front sight can really throw you off; and, if it's dark enough, cause you to completely miss a moving target as it momentarily blinks in and out of your brightly glowing front sight picture.

(Ask me how I know!)
Old October 7, 2008, 07:25 PM   #16
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

wait til some cruel bastid like me sees you using a laser sight and whips out ye ol handy dandy laser pointer thingy and adds one wobbler to your board...
It is fun as heck to watch the reaction.... I even seen one guy point his gun at his face... LOADED, FINGER INSIDE GUARD to check his C-Trace! I left that there feller alone after that!
Brent
Old October 7, 2008, 07:32 PM   #17
AK103K

Quote:
cause you to completely miss a moving target as it momentarily blinks in and out of your brightly glowing front sight picture.
I would think the same would be true with a laser dot.

Hey, if you like the laser and it works for you, have at it. It didnt work out for me, and I did give it a good try. I'm always up for anything thats an improvement, as long as it works for me. The laser just didnt live up to the hype, and I didnt see that it offered enough of a gain to warrant it. I did like the unaimed fire possibilities, but that was about all I really saw that they offered and while useful, that seemed limited.

I've never had any issue with the night sights, and have been using them for a long time now. I've seen a number of posts from some who seem to have issues with them and being confused, but I've never had that problem, and really dont understand how they can be, but, it is what it is if they dont work for you.
Old October 7, 2008, 07:35 PM   #18
AK103K

Thanks hogdogs,

You just gave me something to do with mine besides annoy the dogs!

I have a certain buddy in mind.
Old October 7, 2008, 11:20 PM   #19
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

This may be all personal preference, but I REALLY think most of the problems people have with night sights could be alleviated by NOT getting a set with three dots. I hate three-dot sights with a passion. I really like the SIG factory sights and the Heinie Straight-8's, both of which give you an "i" or a dot on the rear to stack your front dot on. I find that a lot faster and a lot less visually distracting. I'd like to try Ashley XS sights next, 'cause they should have the same advantage but with that big ball out front to grab your eye.
Old October 8, 2008, 08:14 PM   #20
AK103K

Quote:
This may be all personal preference....
I think any of these come down to just that. Its what your comfortable with and what your used to and do best with.

I've never had trouble with the three dots. I've used them since they first showed up, even before night sights. They are so ingrained into my brain, I actually see the dots before I see a normal sight picture, and I have to force my focus away from the dots to get one.

I've never understood how you could get them out of sync, but I guess our brains are all wired different, and thats why they make different types and lasers to boot. Some swear by using no sights at all. Use what works best for you. Fast hits where you were last looking is all that counts.
Old October 8, 2008, 10:41 PM   #21
NickM

Quote:
wait til some cruel bastid like me sees you using a laser sight and whips out ye ol handy dandy laser pointer thingy and adds one wobbler to your board...
It is fun as heck to watch the reaction.... I even seen one guy point his gun at his face... LOADED, FINGER INSIDE GUARD to check his C-Trace! I left that there feller alone after that!
Oh my god hogdogs, I about messed myself!!!! That's funny stuff.

I had to take my CT grips off. It was more of a distraction than a tool for me. I shoot better just using the regular sights.

Nick.