The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 14, 2013, 09:16 PM   #26
Hawg

I grew up hunting across soy bean fields where if you couldn't make a 300 yard shot you'd best stay home and have a three wheeler to collect your kill. You can't stalk hunt. Later I had a place where I could get around in the woods and I did enjoy it. Now where I hunt the undergrowth is too thick to walk through and I'm not up to a lot of walking so I "hunt" out of shooting houses in fields I can drive my truck across to collect the kill. I have killed more deer on the walk in than out of the houses tho.
Old September 15, 2013, 12:39 AM   #27
shortwave

Another fine thread turned into 'you don't hunt like I do so... you're not a hunter...you're a baiter...you hunt over corn piles...you hunt over corn fields...you hunt stands of hickories...you hunt over a watering hole...your this...your not that'. Yada, Yada, Yada, the list goes on and on and eventually gets into 'you shoot a high powered rifle capable of 1000yd shots and that's not hunting, if ya really want to know the meaning of hunting, use a slingshot'.

What's any of that got to do with the original topic of this thread anyways?

What a shame.

Betcha one thing, I don't claim to have hunted all over the world or profess to be any kinda great or even good hunter but I bet I can take ya to places that unless you hunt a stand your wasting your time tryin to sneak through the woods. Same as I can take ya to places that if you don't stalk your chances of success are slim to none.

Sorry bout the rant OP.
Just gets old seeing enjoyable threads getting turned sour by fellow hunters that should be supporting each other rather then bickering about others legal styles of hunting.
Old September 15, 2013, 12:40 AM   #28
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Sorry bout the rant.
Just gets old seeing enjoyable threads getting turned sour by fellow hunters that should be supporting each other rather then bickering about others legal styles of hunting.
I'll second that motion.
Old September 15, 2013, 07:09 AM   #29

Wow.......

All I wanted to do is show people the blind behind my house. For the record, I have 5 acres of hay and my neighbor has 5 acres of brush and woods. He doesn't mind that I look over the fence and try to catch an occasional deer coming out to feed in my field. This is a spot for sitting with the wife or daughter and enjoying some time together. I do plenty of "real hunting" at other spots that I have. Also, I didn't mention baiting because the spot is not baited.

For the person who mentioned hunters arguing over legal hunting practices is exactly what anti's want,.........Amen. We should probably stop that and we could probably stop hijacking other people's threads.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old September 15, 2013, 01:33 PM   #30
born2climb

For those who look unfavorably on hunting from a blind, my shooting house is probably downright offensive, though I couldn't care less. I like to hunt rain/shine/sleet/snow, as well as having the option of taking my wife and/or kids with me, so I built one big enough to handle it.

I can shoot 300 yards north and around 350 to the south.

Old September 15, 2013, 01:43 PM   #31
arch308

Now that's a shooting house!

Very nice!
Old September 15, 2013, 02:00 PM   #32
PawPaw

Born2climb. Nice shooting house. Mine's not nearly so solid, but it suits me fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_in_FL
If your goal is just to shoot some deer, then have at it; but if your goal is to fully appreciate the hunting aspect, the battle of wits and skills, then IMO, you have to go after them critters, not bait them into coming to you.
Well, it 's perfectly legal, and here in the forested East, (or in my case, swampy Louisiana), we don't have thousands of acres of gummint land to wander about. I have two hunting spots, one 80 acres and one 8 acres. If I push the deer they simply cross the boundary and legally, they're gone. Sometimes it's simply a matter of what works in a given location and what doesn't work. For us, stalking doesn't work, it simply pushes the deer into another area.

There was a time in my youth, where lots of land was available for public use. Timber company property, especially in north Louisiana, covered about half of the available land, and I did a lot of stump-sitting, walking the drainages, covering hundreds of acres in a day. Then, the timber companies decided that they could lease the land for a nominal fee to hunting clubs. Those clubs leased the timber lands and closed areas for their exclusive use. Like many of the guys I grew up with, I joined a club.

As much as I'd like to scout huge areas, here in the heavily forested areas, they've adopted a new term for that kind of hunting. We call it trespassing.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old September 15, 2013, 05:17 PM   #33
reynolds357

For the most part, If its legal, I am fine with it. I really see no point in hunting inside high fenced land with a guide sitting beside you telling you "the deer in the middle of the feeder will cost you $6k, the one walking up to the feeder will cost you $15k." Other than that, if its legal I have no personal problem with it.
Old September 15, 2013, 08:00 PM   #34
shortwave

born2climb,

Now that's a nice hunting blind.
Wish I had your carpentry skills.
Old September 15, 2013, 09:07 PM   #35
born2climb

Thanks! It took two evenings to frame the main house...one afternoon for the floor/walls, the next for the roof framing. Then another morning to dig the holes for the frame legs and throw the base together. I have less than $300 in it, as best I recall, having used a lot of salvaged material.

Here are a few more...one of it before framing was complete, one showing the rafters form inside, and one of me carrying it down to the field where i set it up.

Old September 17, 2013, 01:28 PM   #36
BJE80

wow this thread took a turn for the worse.

It can be pretty hard to still hunt when you have your 6 year old with you.

I have always enjoyed sitting. It is hunting to me. You still have to play the wind, sit still, sit quiet and spot and shoot the deer before it sees you.