The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 24, 2015, 04:36 PM   #1
siloshooter

up grade from stag ar ?

had the stag ar for about 2-2/12 years . marking on gun says model 15 , but believe , if i recall correctly , the manual calls it a model 1 ... ? it is the standard 16" with adjustable stock , has carry handle , a pretty basic outfit .

no complaints . just imagining an up-grade . you know.... dont really have a good reason , just a desire to do so . i am figuring this gun realistically fetch $550-$600 in used but 90% condition . that is what i have witnessed in my area.

NOW as far as better made guns out of better materials , what make & brand names should i consider ? palmetto arms , s & w mp line , colt , ! OR is what i have in the stag pretty much as good as any thing ( with in a $800 - $900 price range for the new purchase ) that i should expect ?

i am a casual shooter and dont put any more than 500- 700 rds a year thru the gun . STILL i am interested than moving up a bit . in my book it never hurts to look elsewhere if one has the desire to do so ...lets call it an equipment upgrade
meaningful imput appreciated !
Old April 25, 2015, 01:05 AM   #2
10-96

I know everybody gets the new car bug sometimes, but have you considered re-barreling and free floating? Or, just changing accessories, doo-dads, and parts as they tickle your fancy?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old April 25, 2015, 06:30 AM   #3
Mobuck

"NOW as far as better made guns out of better materials"
They're ALL made out of pretty much the same materials. If you're talking about barrels & bolts, just be aware that higher dollar may not ensure higher performance. I'm not sure your price is viable since new entry level carbines can be had for under $600.
Old April 25, 2015, 01:09 PM   #4
chris in va

Just put a new upper on it. No need to buy an entire gun.
Old April 25, 2015, 02:32 PM   #5
stagpanther

I had a stag upper and unfortunately it was the worst shootin AR I ever had. Got rid of it--but I second the motion to re-barrel in something fun and interesting--plenty of nice 6 to 6.5 flavors out there.
Old April 26, 2015, 03:33 PM   #6
Ibmikey

Stag makes excellent products, selling a standard AR to buy a standRd AR does not make sense. If you wish to spend two to three times more than your rifle is worth there are fine rifles available, Stag even makes some, but for the casual shooter the expense is a little unusual.
Old April 27, 2015, 02:36 AM   #7
10-96

Speaking of Stag- does anyone know who's forge mark is most usually found on theirs?

Old April 27, 2015, 08:32 AM   #8
rickyrick

Spruce it up...
Not a good time to sell an AR really
Old May 1, 2015, 12:50 AM   #9
10-96

Quote:
Speaking of Stag- does anyone know who's forge mark is most usually found on theirs?
Never mind- the one I ordered showed up yesterday. Able to answer my own question.

Old May 3, 2015, 02:31 AM   #10
Tomac

What Chris in VA said. You can get an excellent 16" BCM upper w/free Mod 0 comp for as little as $439 plus one of their excellent BCG's & Gunfighter charging handles for $69 more.

Personally, I'm a big fan of their 16" lightweight mid-lengths: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...g-mid-16lw.htm
Tomac