The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 3, 2009, 06:25 PM   #1
nukeantz

p38 question

sorry i think I posted this in the wrong place. I just got a byf 44, and want to know what the X over the serial number on the frame means. I have looked all over the internet but have had no luck, the serial # is 7690t. I have broken the gun down and all the serial numbers match, but the colors on the gun are different, the barrel and part of the frame are more grey and the other parts are blue. There are no import marks on the gun anywhere. Can somebody please explain what I have?

Thanks
Old May 3, 2009, 06:44 PM   #2
Chris_B

Any BYF code P.38 was made by Mauser

The pistol should have some parts that are not blued if it is in original finish. Off the top of my head, the locking block and the inside of the chamber should not be blued. It's good that your P.38 is all numbers matching. Coincidentally, I just got back from the range, were I was firing my 1944 P.38, but mine was made by Spreewerk not Mauser

You're describing a "dual tone" phosphate finish pistol but your serial range is confusing to me

If you ask at the website linked to below, you will learn all about your P.38

http://www.p38forum.com/index.htm
Old May 3, 2009, 07:39 PM   #3
32 Magnum
Member In Memoriam

The 'X' generally means Russian Captured pieces - refurbished for future use.
Old May 3, 2009, 07:54 PM   #4
Chris_B

Hmmm. My own P.38 is a Russian capture...no "X". The P.38 in question also has a phosphate finish on some parts, from the description. To my knowledge the Russians refinished their captured pieces. My cyq is a 'dipped' pistol

Not saying you're wrong, just that it doesn't seem to fit the 'classic' Russian capture profile
Old May 5, 2009, 07:47 PM   #5
Tom2

I had a Mauser Hsc .32 pistol that was a capture gun with the X mark at one time. The thing did not look like your typical dipped refinished Russian, it had a nice finish that if not original, was expertly done and looked nice. Actually the X was the only thing that would lead you to believe it was a capture. And the fact that the red dot was missing under the safety. Was in great shape but a lousy shooter, I could not get nice groups with it.