The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 15, 2008, 10:26 PM   #1
the machinist

Fat fingers problem.. cant hold bullets

I dont know if I have fat fingers or I just drop everything I pickup but..when loading my 223's on my lee pro 1000 I just cannot hold the bullet when i'm trying to put it in the case on the last station.. I'm not using boat tails and I assume this is part of the problem, I did see lee makes a bullet feeder but I found out today its for pistol bullets only, so..any suggestions on a tool of somewhat to help me hold the bullets while loading? thanks!
Old December 16, 2008, 12:52 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Can't hold it or it doesn't stay put? In the latter case you can keep the bullet in place with your fingers until it starts into the seating die. If that isn't possible because of the size of your fingers, try using a pair of chopsticks to keep in place unit the bullet nose has disappeared up into the die.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 16, 2008, 07:42 AM   #3
hivel37

Or maybe some big tweezers.

And make sure case mouths are lightly chamfered inside.

I have same problem from thumb being run through table saws.
Old December 16, 2008, 08:16 AM   #4
DaveInPA

Use boat tail bullets!!!
Old December 16, 2008, 10:12 AM   #5
the machinist

Chopsticks..did you say chopsticks???
the last time I tried to use a chop stick was at a chinese resssrant I ended up sharpening one with my pocket knife and stabbing my sweet and sour chicken just so i wouldnt have to eat with my fingers..
Old December 16, 2008, 10:32 AM   #6
DaveInPA

Which bullets are you using? If you're loading 55gr FMJ practice ammo, Hornady makes a good one with a boat tail. If you're loading for accuracy, Sierra makes some EXCELLENT boat tailed hollowpoints.
Old December 16, 2008, 10:49 AM   #7
Sam06

I have the same problem sometimes. You should try loading a 17 REM. Its like trying to put a grain of rice in that case. I have Large meat hooks(I'm over 6' and can palm a Basketball) and now that I am getting older I regret Boxing and football when I was young, my hands hurt.

I would say try some Latex gloves, they are skin tight and will improve your grip a little. Maybe a resin bag like pitchers use in Baseball. Or one of those Rubber finger tips like bank tellers have for counting money. Any of those should improve the grip on the bullet. Other than that I would say drive on and do your best. The only loader I know of that has a bullet feeder for Rifle bullets is the Dillon. I don't have one for mine, I just deal with it.

I have tried the Gloves and it worked ok for me. I wore one on my left hand to pick up the bullets. I felt like a Hammerhead and I was think of Mike Jackson the whole time(LOL) but if anyone said anything they would have been got one of these meat hooks upside the head

Maybe make a tube that holds the bullets in a line and allows you to dispense one at a time onto the case?
Old December 16, 2008, 11:32 AM   #8
kraigwy

I have the FAT FINGERS problem loading my 204. I kept screwing up the necks by not getting the bullets straight, I solved the problem using the RCBS Compitition Dies seater. You drop the bullet in the opening and the die centers it. Don't know if you can use it one the Lee 1000, never used one.

http://www.huntingtons.com/dies_competition.html
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 17, 2008, 08:51 AM   #9
MADISON

Fat fingers problem.. cant hold bullets

Cant hold bullets
My problem is my almost 70 years.
My arthretic fingers. I was using Hornady's "New Domention Dies". I ask if they would give me a Durachrome seater for my .22 Hornet. They said not available.
I could have gon with RCBS but, I elected Redding. Everything works fine, now.
Old December 17, 2008, 06:06 PM   #10
TEDDY

fumbling

I was trying to think of a solution to seating.if your using the power thu die
can you lower it to flair mouth slightly.I have a 1000,but in 45.thats what I did but the 223 may be different.thats where the lyman M die was good.some one makes a seating die you drop the bullet in the side.my RCBS green machine does that.but they dont make the die any more.and the 1000 has tight quarters,I have short fingers,so I know.so far I dont have arty in my hands.only in my back and not to bad.I am 84.
I just thought I will have to look at my 1000 with the 223 setup.I only use it to remake 223s that were sold as rang pickups.
Old December 17, 2008, 11:25 PM   #11
hardhit

This may sound stupid but you could try what ya call a pickle grabber for 2 bucks if it dont work throw it in the kitchen draw
Old December 18, 2008, 07:04 AM   #12
cgaengineer

Hornady makes dies that help with this. The center part of the seating die slides in and out to hold the bullet until it is seated.
Old December 18, 2008, 08:52 AM   #13
Lilswede1

Forceps - works for me

Once I hit 60 something happened. I am holding onto the case or bullet and suddenly, without warning, the d-mn thing is on the floor. I look at my fingers and whatever was supposed to be there is gone.
Had a small pair of forceps in my fly tying gear. The angle is just right for holding the bullet over the case in my Dillon 550b. Just put some small surgical tubing over the pinchers to hold and protect the bullet.
A side note. For those things that continue to fall to the floor, I keep one of those little "grabber" thingys within reach of the reloading bench. Can pick up even small primers with the gadget and dont have to bend the knees (that hurts now).
Old December 18, 2008, 09:23 AM   #14
jdscholer

Don't forget that the bullet seating process is probably the easiest one to introduce a child to reloading with. jd
Old December 18, 2008, 09:24 AM   #15
jdscholer

Chopsticks? :barf:[/B] ?
Old December 30, 2008, 04:46 PM   #16
the machinist

Hornady makes dies that help with this. The center part of the seating die slides in and out to hold the bullet until it is seated.

Anyone got a link to one of these? thanks!