The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 11, 2007, 01:57 PM   #1
TargetTerror

Intro to percussion pistol?

I saw a percussion pistol at one of my local gunshops that keeps calling it me. It looks like a Colonial era pistol (sorry, I don't know what they are called), and for $50, I think it could amuse me.

What would I need to start shooting a gun like this? It is not a flintlock, I think the guy in the store said it was a percussion pistol. So, I would need bullets, patch, percussion caps, powder, and a powder measure?

What sort loads could I shoot? Where could I find loads/recipes?

Also, would I need a bullet puller in case I have a squib? What is the cleaning procedure for such a pistol, do they disassemble like a modern gun so that you have access to the breach?
Old February 11, 2007, 03:28 PM   #2
marcseatac

If you know the caliber and length of BBL and a model number, make of the pistol I'm sure it would be easier to ascertain what you will need. You would at least need the things you mentioned but not much more. I assume it is a used weapon? $50 being a very good price on a percussion pistol. See if you can find out what it is.
Old February 11, 2007, 09:00 PM   #3
arcticap

You're going to need a nipple wrench to be able to remove the nipple for cleaning and to be able to shoot out any squib loads. First you remove the nipple and place several grains of powder in the flash channel, then replace the nipple and recap. The powder charge should fire the loaded ball out of the barrel, or you'll need to repeat the process.
You might need some cleaning accessories for the caliber: a jag, patch puller (or worm), BP cleaning solvent and some Bore Butter lubricant to lubricate the barrel with after cleaning., and maybe even a bore brush of some kind for stubborn deposits.
Oh yes, you'll need a nipple pick which is a thin wire or needle to insert into the nipple. If the nipple gets clogged, you'll need to open it back up.
Cleaning is done with either soapy water or black powder solvents. Just remove the barrel from the stock and the nipple, and clean from the muzzle. Lubricate it liberally after you get it as clean (and dry) as possible.
A capper and a powder flask to dispense powder into the measure are also very helpful items.
Starting loads for rifles are often 1 grain of powder to match the numerical size of the caliber. However, for pistols it's probably better to start at about 50% - 60% of that loading and use the caliber size as the near maximum load until you learn the recoil traits of your pistol. For example, a .50 caliber pistol can have a starting load of about 25 - 30 grains of powder for shooting up to 25 yards. You can gradually increase the charge to say 50 grains of powder to shoot at longer distances of say, 50 yards, and you may not want to load it much beyond that due to recoil, even though it may be able to easily theoretically handle 70-80 grains of powder. All that powder won't burn and will be wasted, and the recoil just isn't always desirable.
22 to 25 grains is a good starting load for .45 caliber.
Smaller granulated fffg powder is usually more desirable for pistol shooting than ffg powder.
There are different diameter balls and patch thicknesses for every caliber too.
But the standard starting loadings are .490 ball and a .015 lubricated patch for .50 caliber.
And a .440 ball and .015 patch for .45 caliber.
For loading you will also need a short starter (aka - ball starter) to get the patched round ball started into the muzzle before ramming it down with a ramrod. A short piece of less than bore diameter wooden dowel will work for this, and just add a wooden handle or gently tap it down with something handy.
A pistol loading stand can be helpful to keep the pistol upright and to help keep both hands free to use for loading.
Some of us even place a small plastic funnel into our muzzle when dropping powder so the powder actually makes it into the barrel!
If you end up buying the piece, it will be alot like shooting a miniature old fashioned artillery piece. It will boom, smoke and exude lots of power. Each and every shot will be a fun and exciting experience...enjoy it!

Last edited by arcticap; February 11, 2007 at 09:35 PM.