The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old November 23, 2002, 12:28 AM   #1
MeekAndMild

Is there any way to supervise newby posters?

Is there any way to supervise new posters, say for the first 10 posts or so? Or perhaps a way of stopping them from starting threads until they have posted ten or so times? Or maybe ban legal and political and general forums to newbies?

We seem to have a low grade infestation of eurotrash teen trolls posting a time or two then disappearing.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old November 23, 2002, 01:37 AM   #2
tyme
Staff

I think the second option is possible and reasonable, but I'm not sure whether it would do any good.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old November 23, 2002, 03:50 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm not certain that I like that at all.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 23, 2002, 09:45 AM   #4
Rich Lucibella
Staff

I think not.
We can choose to mederate all posts but not selected ones, I believe.
Rich
Old November 23, 2002, 10:20 AM   #5
Mal H
Staff

... besides, MeekAndMild, why do you make the assumption that they are disappearing on their own?
Old November 23, 2002, 10:26 AM   #6
No4Mk1

Just like any other low grade infestation, if you deprive it of sustenance it will eventually die on its own. Unfortunately, this troll infestation appears to be very well fed....

http://www.guncollectorsforum.com
Old November 23, 2002, 10:35 AM   #7
clem

Good idea. There are other talk groups where all new poster's post are screened. Then after a probation period, they are allowed to post with out screening.

What if we had some anti join just for the reason to cause some legal problem?
Old November 23, 2002, 01:19 PM   #8
tyme
Staff

Then they could just as easily behave for their first x posts, then start causing legal problems.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old November 23, 2002, 03:29 PM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

"What if we had some anti join just for the reason to cause some legal problem?"

Uh........

Like what?

Using TFL to hold up a liquor store and then blaming Rich and the rest of the staff for enabling his felonious actions?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 23, 2002, 03:32 PM   #10
logical

I am flat out against it. There are rules here about what can and can't be posted and that's all thats needed.

I suppose we could make them wear orange vests or something for the first 10 posts.....I think I'd still have mine on.
Old November 23, 2002, 04:50 PM   #11
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Call me kooky, but I'm a big fan of that whole "innocent until proven guilty" thing...
Old November 23, 2002, 05:02 PM   #12
bastiat

Quote:
Call me kooky
Ok, you're kooky

Wouldn't work. As pointed out, just behave for the required number of posts, then start trolling. Same thing people do at DU.

Trolls usually stick to same behavior patterns. They're not that smart. If you see something developing, go to their profile and look at their posts. Email a mod if you're concerned. Better results, less restriction. Why punish 99 new, honest members just because there may be one new troll?
Old November 24, 2002, 12:17 AM   #13
C.R.Sam

Seems to work ok as is.
They abide by the rules in place, they stay, they get out of hand, they go.
Meanwhile, an articulate anti gives us practice.

Sam
Old November 24, 2002, 12:46 AM   #14
MeekAndMild

Quote:
Why punish 99 new, honest members just because there may be one new troll?
Makes sense. Thanks.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.