The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 26, 2014, 08:11 AM   #26
JungleBoogey

New Optics

Merry Christmas to all. Unfortunately I did not get to hunt on Christmas (something I enjoy for the peace and tranquility) but I am going out right after the new year begins. I have new optics on my 4x4 30-06, Zeiss Conquest DL 3-12x50 illuminated. I am in Germany and will be on a seated drive hunt for Roe Deer, Wild Boar and any fox that cross my path. I expect the weather to be cloudy and around 34 degrees. I am changing ammo brands and wt. (from 180). I will be using Federal 150gr and shooting at a range up to 200 mtrs. Any feedback or suggestions on other ammo choices? Thanks.

Last edited by JungleBoogey; December 26, 2014 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Added weather conditions
Old December 26, 2014, 06:24 PM   #27
Boogershooter

I've never hunted roe deer but I've used winchester ballistic tips in my 308, 30-06 and 300 wsm for atleast 8 years now! I've shot deer in almost every angle except Texas heart shot ( stove pipe ) and have never encountered any problem! Most have dropped but the few that ran didn't go far and blood trailing was easy! I don't shoot deer in the shoulder on purpose! Wastes too much meat! Behind the shoulder only! Now for large hogs the ballistic tip n the shoulder makes for very graphic pictures with softball to basketball size holes on the impact side! Some people don't like that bullet for that shot but I hav'nt lost one yet! Have a great hunt!