The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 25, 2014, 10:45 AM   #1
rebs

tarnished 223 cases ?

I just found about 400 223 cases that I had processed and primed ready to load, but they are tarnished and dark colored. I am guessing maybe it is not a good idea to put them in the tumbler with dry media since they are primed , right or w wrong ?
The cases I had stored in zip lock bags still look good but the ones I stored in Tupperware tarnished because I didn't have the snap on lid in place.
Has anyone ever tumbled primed cases in dry media ?

I forgot to ask if anyone tumbles 223 rounds that are already loaded ?

Last edited by rebs; November 25, 2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old November 25, 2014, 12:36 PM   #2
TATER

Yes, that is what I would do, Go ahead and load then do a quick tumble..
I do a quick tumble on all the stuff that comes of the 650. Some longer than others.
Old November 25, 2014, 01:33 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

I only polish to make cases easier to find in the grass. But if you are using a bolt gun or a brass catcher and aren't having to do that kind of policing, just load and shoot and polish on the next load cycle (if you want to).
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 25, 2014, 01:34 PM   #4
Vance

I would just load them and use them.
Old November 25, 2014, 02:16 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Dark brass coloured or black? The former is ok. The latter not so much. Tumbling won't hurt either way.
Old November 25, 2014, 02:39 PM   #6
rebs

They are dark brass color not black. I did have a couple that were real dark almost black and I discarded them to the scrap brass bin.

What I would like to know is if tumbling them with the primer in would be a good idea or not ?
Old November 25, 2014, 02:56 PM   #7
Vance

If you absolutely have to tumble them, then load them then tumble. Don't really want foriegn dust getting into the primer. Might decrease their effectiveness.
Old November 25, 2014, 03:10 PM   #8
mikld

Quote:
What I would like to know is if tumbling them with the primer in would be a good idea or not ?
I'd suggest you go ahead and finish reloading them then tumble. Media or stuff may get stuck in the flash hole or in the primer.

Nuttin' wrong with shooting brown ammo! I remember way back when, you could tell who was a reloader at the range. The guys that shot a lot, policed their brass, and shot "brown" ammo were the reloaders. The new shooters, and police shot new, virgin looking brass...
Old November 25, 2014, 07:12 PM   #9
pathdoc

Scotch-brite pad and the Lee case trimming setup chucked in a drill work well, at least on the outside of the case. I've heard of a technique by which someone was shoving a bore brush or similar into the case mouth to do the inside too, but I couldn't remember the details or find the right size brush to get it to work on .223 cases. Must try with some .303 rejects sometime.
Old November 25, 2014, 07:22 PM   #10
rebs

reply from Hornady

Bob we do not recommend putting loaded rounds into a tumbler for fear of setting off a loaded round. You will also bread down the powder inside the case which will change the powder volume in the case. Thanks

From: Hornady Manufacturing, Inc [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 10:12 AM
To: tech
Subject: "Technical Inquiries" Contact from Bob

This is a response sent by Bob using the feedback form on the website. The details of the message follow below:

Subject:

Technical Inquiries

Comments:
Is it safe to tumle loaded ammo ? I have some that has become quite tarnished. Does Hornady tumble clean any loaded ammo to remove case lube or dirt ?

Thank you
Bob
Old November 25, 2014, 09:03 PM   #11
jokker1978

I tumble almost all of my loaded ammo.
Old November 25, 2014, 10:43 PM   #12
chris in va

I've loaded countless 'brown' brass cases with zero ill effects. I actually take pride in finding these buried in the mud, almost like resurrecting the dead.
Old November 26, 2014, 12:51 PM   #13
mikld

I was about to accept the Hornady email until I read "You will also break down the powder inside the case which will change the powder volume". I ain't no rocket scientist, but how can volume change??? I realize the powder may change granular size, but volume?
Old November 26, 2014, 01:18 PM   #14
Vance

They are just saying not to do it due to liability issues. 10 minutes worth of tumbling to get lube off the finished round is not going to break the powder down. And the tarnish is not going to effect the performance of the round either.
Old November 26, 2014, 02:48 PM   #15
Jimro

be lazy, load them up, polish them next reloading cycle.

If you must tumble, go ahead and tumble them. Even if a bullet did go off it wouldn't do much but make a loud noise and maybe a mess. Bullets don't go flying from unchambered cartridges, they either burst at the shoulder or the bullet only goes out far enough for the gas to escape.

Jimro
Old November 28, 2014, 09:39 AM   #16
frogo207

I am not good at posting links but on The High Road a couple of users tumbled loaded rounds for days and inspected at intervals with NO powder problems at all while shooting a sample each time and watching the velocities. You would have to drop the rounds several feet onto a hard object just so to set of a primer. A tumbler we use would never impart enough energy to set off a primer. Hornaday's reply is lawyer proofing IMHO. Do what you feel is safe----Me I tumble loaded ammo with NuFinish to prevent tarnish and have for years with no ill effects, just sparkly brass.

Oh shooting it as tarnished would be something I would do also, as long as there is no green crap/corrosion on them.
Old November 28, 2014, 09:06 PM   #17
Snyper

If it's not corroded, but merely "discolored", I see no reason to do anything other than use it as is.