The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 19, 2013, 11:14 AM   #1
NHSHOOTER

Timney trigger

Took the advice from many of you on here and bought a timney trigger for my ruger hawkeye, simple installation, hardest part being to grind down the shoulder for the safety. Feels awesome and cant wait to shoot it, snowing like hell here in NH at the moment but hopefully will make it out this weekend for some test firing..Thanks to all who gave me the push I needed.
Old March 19, 2013, 12:42 PM   #2
603Country

The only bad news I have about the Timney I put in my Ruger Hawkeye is that the trigger that's in my Ruger 77V, by comparison, doesn't feel as great as it once did. Now I need to buy another Timney for that rifle.
Old March 19, 2013, 04:37 PM   #3
hooligan1

I just installed a Timney in my ole "flat top" Savage 110, it was a little tricky, but it's nice and now the deer slayer is even more deadlier!!
Old March 19, 2013, 05:58 PM   #4
sourdough44

I do realize there are better triggers out there than Timney for the discriminating target shooter, somewhat better. With that said, a Timney replacement is almost light years ahead of most factory triggers. That would be all the more true with those that can't be easily adjusted.

For the average hunter & casual target shooter, the Timney is just fine.
Old March 20, 2013, 06:17 PM   #5
hooligan1

I have 3 Timney triggers, and they all work as advertised. Those who don't have them in their rifles don't now what they are missing.
I have'nt tried any other brand of custom trigger so I really can't say how they compare.... (see my opening quote).
Old March 20, 2013, 07:25 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I put a Timney in my 77Mk II. It's not a Canjar, but it's quite okay. Easy installation, for sure.
Old March 20, 2013, 07:29 PM   #7
Cowboy_mo

I love the Timney trigger I installed in my Weatherby Vanguard S1. It was a snap to install in that rifle and shrunk the groups from just over 1 inch to about 3/4 inches. I'm still looking for the best load that will hopefully shrink the groups further.
Old March 22, 2013, 06:06 PM   #8
-Xero-

I put a Jewell on my Rem. 700 PSS -- The one w/ the safety. Had it installed by a Rem. approved gunsmith. (I have $3 K into the rifle and scope, let's not mess up the warranty.)

Adjusts down to 1.5 oz. pull, and ZERO movement. Jewell says if I want to go below 1.5 oz. they will supply the spring for me at no cost. I have it set at about 4 oz -- which is spectacular on a bench!

Best $$$ I ever spent on a bench gun! Now I get to concentrate on wind, drift, bullet drop, rather than working on trigger pull.

Timney triggers are in the same league. Money well spent!
Old March 24, 2013, 10:48 AM   #9
NHSHOOTER

Even though the wind is howling here in NH today, probably about 15 to 20 mph, had to go test my new trigger, very impressed and happy with the results, timing my shots to the lesser wind gusts I got one group to 3/4in, 2 bullets in the same hole. I am sure on a windless day it will get even better than that. Just a fyi, I am shooting a sporter M77 Hawkeye in 7-08.
Old March 24, 2013, 10:57 AM   #10
mxsailor803

As far as guns that have custom triggers in my safe, I have 3 right now: 700 .270 with a Shilen, 788 .308 with a Timney, 788 .243 with a Timney. Personally I like the Shilen a little better but it was a bigger pain to install. The Timney's on the other hand are beyond simple to install. The only adjustments I had to make was for overtravel and that's it. I'm actually thinking about getting a Timney for my Colt 6920.