The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 30, 2016, 11:10 PM   #51
stagpanther

Quote:
The LR is built to be a premium hunting rifle.
If you're looking for a $400 shooter, go Ruger or Savage.
Didn't Savage think of this 100 years ago in their 99?

Met one yesterday that had been supplying a Maine family with deer through 3 generations.
Old October 31, 2016, 12:19 AM   #52
DPris
Member Emeritus

Yes, but Savage couldn't think of a way to keep the public buying them.
And a Savage 99 today could not be built for anything less than a thousand bucks, even with CNC.
Denis
Old October 31, 2016, 06:38 AM   #53
stagpanther

I've got some of those cheapo Savages you talk about and with a little time and tinkering I've made into pretty good shooters. I look forward to meeting some of these new Henry's at a local range and see how well they really do stack up against mine--I would expect them to be at least twice as accurate since they are more than twice the price, right? LOL
Old October 31, 2016, 08:22 AM   #54
DPris
Member Emeritus

The current crop of cheap Rugers & Savages do shoot well & if you're happy with 'em, go for 'em.

Not everybody is.
Not everybody wants a plastic-stocked boltgun.
Denis
Old October 31, 2016, 09:55 AM   #55
dgludwig

Quote:
with only Savage having any real success.

Quote:
The 99? Designed before anyone on this forum was alive and mostly chambered in cartridges that are now obsolete?

In addition to a few "obsolete" cartridges, the Model 99 has been made in the not so obsolete .22-250, .243, .284, 7mm-08 and .308 cartridge chamberings.
Old October 31, 2016, 04:34 PM   #56
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
I've got some of those cheapo Savages you talk about and with a little time and tinkering I've made into pretty good shooters. I look forward to meeting some of these new Henry's at a local range and see how well they really do stack up against mine--I would expect them to be at least twice as accurate since they are more than twice the price, right? LOL
If accuracy were the only characteristic of a rifle that drove value. and we all bought based on that perceived value, H&R would still be making single shots.
I'm not in the market for a Ruger American or Savage Axis. I am keeping my eye on the LR.

Quote:
In addition to a few "obsolete" cartridges, the Model 99 has been made in the not so obsolete .22-250, .243, .284, 7mm-08 and .308 cartridge chamberings.
Those mostly in later years. I'd love to see production by cartridge. There never seems to be a used 99 chambered in 308 around when I have money in my pocket. You still aren't going to find a USED 99 in very good condition for much less than a thousand. I think the estimate of $1000 for a new production gun is conservative.

DPRIS, can you tell me more about these single shots? Ruger Number oneish or CVA Hunterish?
Old October 31, 2016, 05:32 PM   #57
stagpanther

Quote:
If accuracy were the only characteristic of a rifle that drove value. and we all bought based on that perceived value, H&R would still be making single shots.
I'm not in the market for a Ruger American or Savage Axis. I am keeping my eye on the LR.
Good point. All of my guns are intended to be working guns--which means they will probably get bashed around in the woods against rocks--trees, brush, rain, snow etc. I don't buy or build guns for beauty contests--though some of them are in fact quite purdy. ; )
Old November 1, 2016, 12:30 AM   #58
DPris
Member Emeritus

The Henry singles are break-tops in both rifle & shotgun.
Hammers.
No manual safeties.

Rifles will have iron sights, ejectors.

Shotguns will have bead, extractors.

Walnut stocks.

For now, blue steel frames in the rifles.
Shotguns projected to be pistolgripped in steel frames, straight wrist in brass frames.

Removable full chokes on the shotguns.

Sorta deluxe H&R.
NOT budget guns.
Denis
Old November 1, 2016, 05:53 AM   #59
bobn

good to hear about henrys on going model introductions, thanks for the teasers, bob
Old November 1, 2016, 08:49 AM   #60
Sarge

That Long Ranger would make a real thumper in 358 Winchester.
Old November 1, 2016, 10:37 AM   #61
DPris
Member Emeritus

You are entirely welcome.

Keep an eye on Henry, they're expanding aggressively.
Denis
Old November 1, 2016, 07:24 PM   #62
johnwilliamson062

It is hard to do a hammer attractively on a break action IMO. I always like the Win model 24 hammer-less profile.

I never cared much for the H&R deluxe. Lipstick on a pig to me. You can't just ad wood to that frame and expect to have something worth looking at afterwards. I had one of the removable choke synthetics, and it wasn't pretty, but it was a workhorse at a very reasonable price.

Henry hasn't produced anything offensive to my eye yet(maybe a bit gaudy on some of the brass and silver models though), so I will hold out hope.
Old November 1, 2016, 07:53 PM   #63
jdscholer

I'm one of those guys who just has to have a steel receiver. My own peculiarity. This don't look like it for me. And yeah, I'm the only guy in the world who doesn't on an AR. jd
Old November 5, 2016, 05:02 AM   #64
ballisti

I just saw a YouTube video of the "Long Ranger" and was impressed that Henry can charge about the same as a BLR for something that looks so cheap and ugly in comparison.

Somebody at Henry needs to seek professional help, they are living in fantasy-land.

Knock about $200.00 off of the price, and they might have something. Nobody in their right mind is going to pay enough to buy a BLR for the Long Ranger.

I am no Browning fanboy, but I am a big fan of getting my moneys worth. - The Henry Long Ranger does not even come close to qualifying in that regard.
Old November 5, 2016, 07:58 AM   #65
bobn

I inspected a long ranger in 308 in person. I already have a 88 win in 308 and also a sav 99 in 243. if it was a 243 it would have come home, I felt it was as decently made as the others. fwiw bob

Last edited by bobn; November 5, 2016 at 08:07 AM.
Old November 5, 2016, 08:26 AM   #66
PACraftsman

I realize everyone's opinion is there own. And having different opinions should not upset anyone. It's not a personal attack.

I own a BLR and a Win Model 88. They are both 308s. They both have put many a deer down. They both have their pros and cons too. I have a buddy who had his Savage Model 99. I respect his success with that one too. It's a fantastic weapon as well.

At times, I see what other people see in them when they admire just their looks. Other times, they all just look like tools to me. Some may have been used harder than others.

As far as Henry is concerned. I'm not too impressed with the shiny silver or brass renditions. But I know others do. And that's their prerogative.

I am in favor of an American arms company striving to improve and enhance their product line. I think that's very admirable.

I'm not in need of any more Lever guns. But I am looking for a new gun to target shoot a little easier and more affordable than my 308s. I also want a little more range than my 22s. I live in PA where semi's aren't legal for hunting. And I would like it legal for hunting. Just my personal preference. A box fed lever action in either 5.56 or even 7.62x39 would fit that bill. Since Henry is making one in 5.56 that will probably be my next and maybe last long gun purchase.

I'm looking forward to trying the Long Ranger. I think it's great that Henry is taking steps to add to their product line and trying to do so by upping the standard for accuracy in longer distances. I hope they succeed.

Last edited by PACraftsman; November 6, 2016 at 12:04 PM.
Old November 5, 2016, 06:44 PM   #67
WyMark

I stopped by a shop today that I hadn't been to since it changed owners several months ago, just to see if they had a LR in .308 I could look at. Pretty sure I'll order one in .223 when they ship, but I just want to see one first. They didn't have any, but I walked out with a brand new BHP instead.

So, not a total loss.
Old November 6, 2016, 11:36 AM   #68
ThomasT

Quote:
And a Savage 99 today could not be built for anything less than a thousand bucks, even with CNC.
Denis
And I would happily spend a $1000 for a brand new in the package Savage 99 with rotary magazine and round counter with the case hardening like the old time Savages. But I want it in 250 Savage with a 1/10 twist. I will buy the first one they offer. Even $1200 wouldn't scare me away. So I hope someone from Savage sees this.

I like Henry, their attitude and customer service. I will wait for a LR but I hope they do make them with open sights and a model in 358 Winchester. I prefer close range hunting and love to shoot open sights but like the option of a low powered scope if I want it. I have no problems with a scope on a lever gun.

My Marlin 30-30 will shoot groups of just over an inch with ammo it likes but I can only do that with a scope mounted on it. Most of my bolt guns are older because they came with open sights on them. But they all wear scopes. But before they were scoped the open sights were adjusted so if needed I can remove the scope and keep hunting.
Old November 7, 2016, 05:39 PM   #69
DPris
Member Emeritus

I've worked with both the BLR & the LR, both in .308.

Aside from the highly varnished finish on the Browning (which I dislike intensely), I recall nothing whatever that was superior about the Browning in either looks or performance, and nothing that was cheap & ugly about the Henry in comparison.

The LR WILL be coming out with irons early next year.
Other calibers are projected to follow.

And the Savage 99 is dead.
Denis
Old November 7, 2016, 07:00 PM   #70
ThomasT

Quote:
And the Savage 99 is dead.
Denis
Say it ain't so!

It seems like I did hear rumors about a new 99 several years ago but that was all it was. I would pay a good sum for a new one but I am not holding my breath. If Henry makes a 358 winchester I will buy one.

My local GS had an old Marlin with ballard rifling in 35 remington. At that time they wanted $400 for it. Ten years ago that was a lot for a Marlin. Now its a bargain. I looked at it and then went back to get it. But of course it was gone. I like 35 caliber guns and if Henry by chance makes one I would buy it. I wouldn't care if it were a 35 rem or 358 win. I would like either one.
Old November 7, 2016, 07:44 PM   #71
DPris
Member Emeritus

In 2006, a guy sailed into town to make a splashy attempt to get into the gun biz by noisily trying to "Save Winchester!"
We knew it couldn't be done.

By then, not possible to keep the brand or the USRAC factory going where they were located.

A year or six later, same guy made a splashy attempt to resurrect the Merwin & Hulbert revolvers. Un-realistic, underfunded, many grandiose promises, we knew it'd flop.

A year or two later, same guy was "working with" Savage to bring back the 99.
We knew that wasn't going to happen, either.

Sad to say for those who genuinely like 'em, but truly- some designs just expire over their reasonable expectation of life.

The Savage 99 would be prohibitively expensive to produce at quality levels the fans would demand, and the market in general would not support the guns sufficiently to keep them viable.
Denis
Old November 7, 2016, 09:36 PM   #72
ThomasT

Hey Dennis I know the world will never see a brand new model 99. Its just a dream. I don't know what a new 99 would do that the other 15 or so deer rifles I have won't already do. Plus the used market is full of them for less money than what a new one would cost.

And anymore the main selling point on a new rifle is cost. New shooters aren't looking for the pride of ownership in a nice wood and blued steel rifle like they once did. Some of the old guys like me prefer the older style of rifles but so many use the selling price as a guide line for any rifle considered. A cheap rifle with a plastic stock can shoot well and thats all that counts. And since thats all that matters that where the focus is for new rifles from the makers.

Henry makes some really nice rifles. I have looked at them and would like one in 22 mag. One of my favorite rounds. They run around $400 at my local Academy. But an endless stream of doctor bills for the last year have really put a dent in my disposable cash. Its hell to get old. Fortunatly it doesn't last.
Old November 8, 2016, 12:28 AM   #73
DPris
Member Emeritus

Yeah, gettin' old ain't for sissies.
Denis
Old November 24, 2016, 11:05 AM   #74
Quincy

Denis, can you say whether an option for the iron sighted model would be a peep or tang version? I am not holding my breath, but prefer irons over glass and at least for me, at reasonable ranges, there is little difference in precision between quality peep sights and glass.
Old November 24, 2016, 12:37 PM   #75
DPris
Member Emeritus

My info doesn't specify yet, they're not in production yet.
I'd expect a buck & bead arrangement.
Denis