Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 16, 2010, 09:02 PM   #26
moosemike

Quote:
He replied "box and a half of 458, two and a half boxes of 222",

That's great.
Old May 16, 2010, 09:29 PM   #27
Bigjfb

OP, more likely to die in car accident or struck by lightning than that bear harming you or yours.

That being said, if the bear ever is an actual threat to you, than he is already close enough where a 300 win mag is justified regardless of how many houses are in your area.

A stray .223 aint going to tickle if it hits somebody.

In what scenario do you see yourself firing on this bear anyway? If he's on your porch? In your house? What?
Old May 16, 2010, 11:04 PM   #28
2500ak

I'm going to disagree with Bigjfb, I don't doubt the validity of his made up statistic, just the applicability. On average yes its more likely the average person will be in a car accident or stuck my lightening, that is because most people do not live in proximity to such bears.

Within the Anchorage city limits not so much, we've had a number of bears passing though our neighborhood. A few sighted per year. Enough that we can't put our garbage cans out until the morning of garbage day. I can't think of one place that I would go hiking and not be concerned about of bear encounter. Alaska has a lot of bears, I've known people who hunt bears off the river that runs through Fairbanks just a little ways out of town. I'm not saying its likely but, I am saying don't take a .223 into the woods for bear protection.

Grizzlies are quite aggressive and often attack, he has good reason to be worried. Statically though, the moose are more dangerous. They're not skiddish like deer and they're very territorial. A lot more people get stomped each year by moose than attacked by bears.
Old May 16, 2010, 11:16 PM   #29
Wildalaska

I know at least 20 folks who have killed polar bears and the like with .223 or less

One of the best hunters I know carries a .223 pistol for bear protection

Wildbeatsa44magnumAlaska TM
Old May 16, 2010, 11:19 PM   #30
Bigjfb

Lightning kills about 100 people per year in the US, bears less than one per year.

Yet "what gun for bear defense?" threads are far more popular than "WHo makes the best lightning rod?" threads.

Maybe because most would rather die from a lightning strike vs a bear strike?

Cars kill many people a day, when was the last time someone asked "Who makes the safest pick-up truck/hunting rig?"

All I am saying is, if it comes down to a situation where you have to shoot a grizz to save your life or the life of a loved one, you dang well better use the biggest gun you got. In the meantime, buckle-up.
Old May 17, 2010, 01:25 AM   #31
2500ak

Not a lot of people get killed by bears, but a lot of people encounter bears. Even from a distance that's a nervewracking situation. I agree that I'd rather be prepared with a large rifle.

I'm sure you can kill a bear with .223, but I'd have to be both a braver man and a better marksman to try it myself.
Old May 17, 2010, 02:45 AM   #32
.300 Weatherby Mag

I don't care how well anyone does on bears with .223.. I'm still going to carry a .375....
Old May 17, 2010, 03:09 AM   #33
Nnobby45

Saw a documentary decades ago about Alaska natives hunting Grizzlies with .22 LR. Worked fine.

Their tactics were to catch them swimming and come up behind them in a boat, and kill them with one well placed shot.
Old May 17, 2010, 03:55 AM   #34
roklok

Here is a polar bear that was killed with a .223 :

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=45973

It was shot by a friend of mine here in Fort Yukon, and I believe is the one that someone mentioned earlier in the thread. I have personal knowledge of a number of bears, caribou and moose killed with .223, it is a popular cartridge in bush Alaska. Usually in a Mini-14 or AR-15. I have not killed any bears with .223, but have killed a couple caribou with .223, it is effective if bullet is placed right.
Old May 17, 2010, 08:06 AM   #35
crghss

Best way to stay out of trouble...

....avoid it in the first place.

You need to alert the Authorities. If you shot a bear on U.S. Gov't property no telling the amount of people you'll upset, unless you're in immediate danger of course.

Worse then having a bear running around base housing is having a wounded bear running around base housing. You don't want that on your hands.

No need to insult you friend. Weather he killed a bear with a .223 is immaterial. His experience/story doesn't have any bearing on what you decide to do. You see all the postings of .223's and smaller being used for bear. If I decide to go bear hunting you know what amount influence they'd have on my decision to pick a rifle? None.
Old May 17, 2010, 04:11 PM   #36
2500ak

My understanding is that Alaskan law dictates that if a large animal, whether it be moose or bear or whathaveyou, is a threat to your person you are well within your rights to shoot it. You aren't however allowed to keep the meat if its out of season, by law you have to turn it over to fish and game who then donate it to the soup kitchens where its used to feed the poor people.

That's what I've always heard at least, I've never had to use that provision.
Old May 17, 2010, 04:52 PM   #37
kodiakbeer

Alaska natives use the .223 a lot, for all kinds of big game, and they're generally using the cheapest fmj they can find. That doesn't mean it's a good choice for hunting because the part you don't hear about is that they're usually shooting from a snowmobile or ATV and they just keep chasing and shooting until the animal falls down.

That may sound unsporting, but it isn't sport hunting. It's subsistence hunting, no different than using a net instead of a fly rod to catch fish, from their point of view.
Old May 18, 2010, 06:49 PM   #38
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
P.S. i'm asking because there is a grizzly bear running around base housing and i don't want to use my 300 win mag because of the other houses.all i have left is my .357 mag and my .223
Call the cops first, if that fails the .300 Win Mag and don't miss. You do know even with a good shot, unless that bear was chewing on somebody they will run your Gluteus Maximus up the flag pole.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old May 18, 2010, 09:05 PM   #39
sc928porsche

No, I do not use anything 22 caliber for hunting deer.
Old June 10, 2010, 03:54 PM   #40
daniel paydar

head shot with the fmj bullet in 223 will kill any animal maybe with exception of elephant.
using average soft point varmint bullet is a mad thing to do because there is always chance of lack of penetration.
a hit in CNS with good bullet can stop or kill any animal, but missing that target with a 223 in hand and your chance of geting killed is great too.
Old June 10, 2010, 04:54 PM   #41
jgcoastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by herroprease
P.S. i'm asking because there is a grizzly bear running around base housing and i don't want to use my 300 win mag because of the other houses.all i have left is my .357 mag and my .223
By this statement, I assume you are living on a military installation. If so, you shouldn't be contemplating shooting anything as you'll face NJP at a minimum for firing a weapon in housing.

If you see a bear around base housing:
- Get everyone inside immediately
- Call Military Police and let them handle it
- Period.

Do not attempt to shoot a bear in military housing unless it breaks down your door. If it does break down your door, I promise you'll want something bigger than a .223 Rem...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old June 10, 2010, 06:16 PM   #42
kodiakbeer

Quote:
By this statement, I assume you are living on a military installation. If so, you shouldn't be contemplating shooting anything as you'll face NJP at a minimum for firing a weapon in housing.
It wouldn't even occur to me to shoot a bear just for being near my house, and I regularly have bears near my house, in my yard, etc. On a military base, he'll probably face a state poaching charge after the military is done with him.
Old June 10, 2010, 06:26 PM   #43
Microgunner

When I lived in Chistochina Ak my neighbor, Bill Barnhart, killed a very impressive brown bear with a .222. It was actually a grizzly and would have been a record holder but the Boone & Crockett people said it was too close to the coast and therefore a brownie. The rug mount was on his wall and it was HUGE. He heard it coming down his driveway and grabbed the only loaded rifle in the house, his .222 he kept by the back door for varmints. (2) shots. First one broke the bears shoulder, the second in the bears ear after he calmed down. Bill was an expert hunter and trapper and knew he could harvest the monster with the little .222 and he was right.
Old June 11, 2010, 02:11 AM   #44
natman

Is it possible to kill a bear with a 223?

Yes.

Is it a good idea to hunt one on purpose with a 223?

No.
Old June 11, 2010, 03:55 AM   #45
stevelyn

Quote:
Apparently native Alaskans are very happy to use the 223 on everything. The Mini-14 and AR-15 are popular for caribou hunting among the natives.
I've lived here for 23 years with the majority of it in the bush. You'd be hard pressed to find anything over .30-06 out here. When I lived along the Yukon River (a couple of different communities) most of the folks I knew carried Mini-14s as their boat/snomachine gun. When a good friend of mine took me down to his fish camp one time I had brought a Benelli M-1 Super 90 along loaded with Brenneke slugs. When we beached the boat at the camp he told me and one of his boys to take the guns along and sweep the camp before unloading. I grabbed the Benelli he got my attention and tossed a Mini-14 with a 40 round magazine to me instead. We went ashore and swept the camp. Finding no furry occupants we went back down to the bank. I asked him why the Mini rather than the Benelli and his reply to the effect was that it might be small, but there's a lot of them.

Down this way, on the AKPEN it's mostly .270s with .243s as general working guns.

The younger folks these days are getting into larger rifles, but the elders still think largers holes in animals wastes meat.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old June 11, 2010, 06:20 AM   #46
ZeroJunk

There is nothing on land that can't be killed with a good shot to the head with a 223.

Don't overestimate your shooting skill in a possibly frantic situation on something that will kill you.
Old June 11, 2010, 08:01 AM   #47
Rifleman1776

In Arkansas, sadly, we have some people who poach bears while they are denned up in the winter. One sorry sort I met uses a .223. He crawls into the cave and pumps about a half dozen into their head then drags out the body. And, he leaves any cubs behind to starve and die.
Yes, you can kill bears with a .223. You can also invade Iran with a fly swatter. But, I wouldn't reccomend it.
Old June 11, 2010, 08:38 AM   #48
Grady

Bears and .223's

In my early experiences in Alaska and Canada, the natives universally had the venerable 30.30, with a scattering of .22's. I saw lots of big game taken with both, but, also saw a lot of cripples get away to die lingering deaths. The natives, being native, were not chastised by anyone for the crippling and waste of game, sad. Point of the story is, yes, one can kill a bear with almost anything, but can also cripple a lot. A good friend, who was also a guide, had as his weapon of choice when going into the alders after a cripple, an 18" barreled Winchester Model 97 12 gauge loaded with 3" slugs. Hunting with a Remington .338 and a guide once upon a time, I asked him where to shoot a Grizzly who obviously wanted a piece of us, he said "in the shoulders and often", wanted to break it down to keep it off us. Good advice.
Old June 11, 2010, 08:59 AM   #49
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Just opinion, but there is a lot of difference between the occasional hunter and the hunter who goes out regularly--particularly subsistence hunters. Things like familiarity with the animal's behavior and anatomy, skill at stalking, lack of nervous excitement--these all play a part.

I'm pretty danged good with a rifle, but were I hunting new territory and for a new-to-me type of animal, I'd tend to go bigger rather than smaller. Just a form of insurance, the way I see it. The old "Why push your luck?" thing.
Old June 17, 2010, 04:52 PM   #50
Ray33

Having lived in Alaska for several years I can say with utmost certainty that the native Alaskans aren't impressive hunters. Just because they use .223 or .22 doesn't mean anything in my opinion. I don't see why a bear couldn't be killed by one but I don't believe that native Alaskans are the hunters we should be basing that standard off. The only native Alaskans I'm ever impressed by anymore are sober ones.