The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 1, 2010, 08:24 PM   #1
riverwalker76

Free Floating Barrel Issues.

I free floated my barrel a couple of weeks ago, and then decided to bed the action. In the process of bedding the action the barrel became 'cock-eyed' in the stock somehow.

The action sits in the stock like it should, but when I torque down the screws to put everything back together it kicks my barrel slightly to the right now. Something happened in the bedding process, and it now sits slightly to the right just enough to bind the barrel, and prevent it from being free of the stock.

What needs to happen in order to get the action to sit 'true' in the stock and re-float the barrel?
Old March 1, 2010, 08:33 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

I would guess that its hitting on the left side... of which would need a slight sanding to refloat that portion of the barrel.
Old March 1, 2010, 10:34 PM   #3
riverwalker76

Well, I bedded the receiver about 1 inch in front of the recoil stop. Would it be ok to sand the area in front of the recoil stop down a little to see if I can't get it to fit?

Will it affect my bedding job?
Old March 2, 2010, 04:46 PM   #4
tkofoid

Been there -- Done that!

You are right in first relieving the bedding in front of the recoil lug. you may luck out and find that to be the problem. Whenever I bed actions I do not bed in front of the lug and I produce very fine shooters. If after you relieve that area and do not get the desired results, you may find yourself grinding out the nice bed job you just produced and start over.. I assume the barrel fit the channel well before you started? If so, IMO, I'd start over. The experience should prove worthwhile, I'm sure. If I had to guess, I'd say the tang area is not quite in line,but with out seeing it, it's hard to say for sure.
Good luck and keep smiling. Keep us posted,,,,we all may learn from your experience.
Old March 2, 2010, 04:49 PM   #5
tkofoid

I just thought of something else!

Make sure that the srew holes are free of any bedding material. The screw should not contact any wood or bedding material.