The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 28, 2006, 11:45 PM   #26
UniversalFrost

sure we are required to carry them and wear them at the range. But when the actual shooting goes off in the real world ear plugs are the last thing you think about.

I entered the service with perfect hearing and left it with severe hearing loss due to multiple explosions, gunfire, etc... after serving in Iraq (x2) and Afghanistan). That is just one of the things you deal with when in a combat arms MOS/AFSC. At least I can still hear; barely.

While at the range I always wear double hearing protection (earplugs and ear muffs) to protect what little hearing I have left. My recommendation for those that still have their hearing is to go with a very good set of muffs and a set of plugs as well. Otherwise you should learn how to read lips.

As far as the VA compensating you there are several ways to get rated. I had to bring in all my hearing tests (from meps all the way to the VA exit exam). This showed a dramatic change in my hearing loss. They now have a machine that can actually measure somehow whether or not you are lying about not hearing the tones. It can measure the movement of the eardrum or something. All I know is after I failed the VA tests they made me sign a form saying that if I failed there special machine I could be punished under the UCMJ (I was still on active duty on terminal leave doing a European out at Landstuhl VA office) for falsiying a statment or something to that weight. Anyway the machine showed I was telling the truth. VA rated me at 10%, but I challenged it and now have a 30% rating for it.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old November 28, 2006, 11:52 PM   #27
Lancel

As already posted, soldiers are now issued hearing protection and have been for years. My first visit to SW Asia, I wore personal Sonic earplugs that permitted conversation but stopped loud noise. They worked well. Although some folks chose to wear nothing (they had plugs) and suffered loss.

Since then, there have been improvements in hearing protection including these:

http://www.shootingsupplies.com/cart...cat=224&page=2

or
http://www.army-technology.com/contr...gation/peltor/

In my 21 years of service, hearing protection was considered so important it was often part of the uniform. However, in combat the desire to hear unimpeded before the sudden big bangs often leads to personal sacrifices.

Larry
Old December 4, 2006, 08:17 PM   #28
RustyRP

a pretty good writeup on the double sided (OD / yellow) DOD earplugs can be found here

http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/docu...1-004-0204.pdf
Old December 5, 2006, 12:13 AM   #29
rhino

By sheer coincidence, I am currently reading Blackhawk Down. In it, there is a line that mentions that Matt Eversman usually wore his earplus while on missions, but did not do so on the day the events in the book occurred. From that I infer that while use of hearing protection in actual combat situations may not be universal, at least some people choose to wear them.

The plugs with baffles work pretty well. The double-ended plugs issued by the military are very good. I am not in the military, but I've been using the plugs now sold by Surefire, which are excellent as well and a bit more comfy (although more expensive). If your hearing is mostly intact, you can hear well enough to clearly understand conversations with them, and of course they block the sudden, impulses of sound that are going to do damage. Could you hear a pin drop on the forest floor 300m away? Probably not, but there are always tradeoffs.
Old December 5, 2006, 12:46 AM   #30
38splfan

Earplugs.

One problem with the new ACU's is that for most units earplugs are no longer part of the uniform, because even with all the pockets there is no real convenient place to put them that they won't get dirty, nasty, or damaged.

Also, even though lots of emphasis is placed on hearing protection during training, deploying soldiers are (at Ft. Lewis anyway, can't speak for everyone) issued one set. Combat arms guys get the new OD/Yellow plugs, everyone else gets industrial style baffle plugs. Also, most troops don't know how to install or wear them correctly. They are just told "here ya go, stick this in your ear". It shocked me to learn that there is in fact a specific insertion method to make them more comfortable and effective.

There is also, as mentioned before, the conveinence factor. Most troops simply want to hear what is going on around them. Especially on night operations when hearing becomes more vital.

As far as issuing better plugs or sound cancelling/selecting plugs and muffs, that is a unit purchase or individual item. The medics here have told us that before when we ask for them.

Most units keep several cases of the disposable foam plugs on hand, but it is not really high on leaders' priorty lists, unfortunately. It really is a personal choice to employ them anyway, whatever kind are provided.

I base that choice what the mission is. I wear mine when I am certain of shooting or severe noise, like helo's and track vehicles. If it is a regular logpac or supply push, where contact is possible (always), but not immenent, then I just keep them around. Like the others though, if the poop hits the ceiling, there's just not time to fumble with them.

As an addition, the new MCH/ACH helmet is not at all muff freindly.
Old December 5, 2006, 07:10 PM   #31
tanksoldier

Most Soldier's hearing loss, even in these days of frequent combat operations, is due to loud music.

All units I've been in require earplihs to be hung in a case from the BDU pocket or belt loop. All Soldiers are issued earplugs, have access to replacements... and rarely wear earplugs anyway except when on the firing range.

I myself have pretty considerable hearing loss from one incident when I was RSOing a .50 cal range w/o hearing protection. My own fault, of course.

GEN George S. Patton, Jr.