The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 18, 2006, 04:42 AM   #1
Ralph2

Taurus 855 trigger work suggestions

I have an older model 85 stainless Taurus snubby 38. It does not shoot double action all that well compared to some of my other snubbies. The trigger is heavy and I think that contributes. It shoots fine in single action with very close tight groups.

Any suggestions on someone decent in the Indianapolis Indiana area that can do some trigger work? Or is this cheap enough to not invest the money into? Hundreds of snaps in dry fire have not lightened up the works any.

Option two would be a spring replacement if that helps. I can do that but I am not going to tweak the works internally beyond that lest I royally botch it up.
Old October 18, 2006, 08:42 AM   #2
Metaloy Industries

You might try installing a spring kit first. Many times it makes a world of difference. Factory hammer and trigger springs are very heavy. After you try that and you are still not satisfied, you can seek out someone to do some action work on it.

www.originalmetaloy.com
The 'Original' Hard Chrome finish
TactiKote finish
Visit the Metaloy Blog http://metaloyindustries.typepad.com/
Old October 18, 2006, 10:36 AM   #3
Ralph2

I decided to try the springs first. I do know one "gunsmith" here locally I will not be using. Or rather a chainstore's "gunsmith".
Old October 24, 2006, 07:19 AM   #4
Ralph2

Trigger springs in model 85 not 885 oops!

It's a model 85 not 855 or 885. I kan't tipe well.

I got the Wolff trigger/hammer spring set yesterday. Put the 9# of each in the gun and it is a little smoother/lighter than my S&W snubbie. I will range test it with some S&B to see if it light strikes. If it will light strike at all it should with that brand. I have had a couple of light strikes with it in 40 S&W and 45 ACP.

The hammer spring helped but the trigger return spring helped more than I thought it would before I opened up the frame and saw how the mechanism worked.