The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 23, 2002, 08:55 AM   #1
O/U

Cap size ?

I asked this in another site and have no answer. I picked uo a cheepo Tridations Panther 50 cal and it dosnt say what cap size to use. Can you help. Also what is the differece between a #10 and a #11 cap?
Thanks for the help
O/U
Old August 23, 2002, 10:16 AM   #2
Cap n ball

The number has to do with the diameter of the cap and the fit on the nipple. Revolver caps do not have a rim or flange such as are on musket caps. I use #11's on most of mine. It's a good idea to slightly squeeze the cap before pressing it on the nipple to get a good tight fit.
Old August 23, 2002, 11:55 AM   #3
Nodakmarine

I'm not really familiar with the Traditions panther but most of the time a lot of your sidelock precussion guns excluding muskets take a #11 cap though this could be different on your guns too. As far as revolvers go, mine tend to like Remington #10 caps. I know they are listed to take #11 caps but I have yet to try any #11 cap that will stay on the nipple without squeezing it and there is just something in the back of my mind that says squeezing a precussion cap that is designed to expode on impact may not be really a good idea.
Old September 2, 2002, 10:06 PM   #4
TBAUS

Bottom line: you use what fits the nipple best. Even if the gun is all factory, someone may have changed the nipples. Most non-musket style nipples use #11 caps. Most revolver style pistols use #10, but #11's work if you pinch them. I seem to remember some company making 10.5's. Number 10's are smaller in diameter than number 11's.