The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 17, 2006, 02:28 AM   #1
King_chin0

1911 manual or books

I have been searching the forum for the past hour and couldn't seem to find a thread about a 1911 manual or book, maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places. I own a Colt 1911 MKIV Series 80 Government Model. I have been trying to find a book or a manual for it. I have searched amazon etc, and there are like a thousand and a dozen choices out there, and I have no clue which one is good. So I was wondering if anyone would recommend any titles that is good? I have been on the colt's website and couldn't seem to find a place to order a replacement manual, I know how to strip the gun etc, but its good to keep one around, it will come in handy when I need it.
Thanks fellas!!
Old October 17, 2006, 04:42 AM   #2
ClarkEMyers

Call them at 1-800-962-2658

A Colt Customer Service Representative can be reached by calling 1-800-962-COLT(2658), Monday through Friday 10am -12Noon and 1pm - 5pm EST.

Books vary from puff pieces to Kuhnhausen's service manuals and perhaps the various CD's (or VHS for some purposes) with more and better illustrations as from Ed Brown or from Clark or Bill Wilson are easier to understand.
Old October 17, 2006, 11:55 PM   #3
King_chin0

Thanks.

Kuhnhausen's repair manual, I've heard great review on it, does it have good illustration or will I be better off with a CD etc from Ed Brown?
Old October 18, 2006, 02:13 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

There is no book or CD that's better than Kuhnhausen's books.
I recommend buying Volume One. Volume Two is more specifications and measurements of parts.

There is a Kuhnhausen video available, but the book is the best since it covers a lot more info.
Old October 18, 2006, 02:27 PM   #5
ClarkEMyers

There are lots of references a few suggestions

Hilton Yam at 10-8 suggests as follows with much more to say on his own site:

Quote:
....If you acquire the references in the order listed, it will provide a good stepwise method of learning.
•Ed Brown 1911 Guide on CD ROM, 087-000-002: There is some information on barrel lug geometry that is of value, but this is primarily intended to be a care and maintenance manual. A hardcore 1911 student will probably want this for their library, but it is more basic than the 1911 Users Guide available elsewhere on this site. It is a good beginner resource and does include photos, which my guide does not.
•Kuhnhausen Shop Manual, Volume 1, 924-200-045: An introduction to the basic concepts of 1911 work. Some of the information is outdated, but most is very useable.
•Kuhnhausen Shop Manual, Volume 2, 924-800-245: This is an excellent reference guide for the dimensions and geometry of every component. It is a bit overwhelming as far as the volume of information, and may be too much for the beginner to process. I have read this from cover to cover several times, and still refer to it periodically for technical data. This is a must have reference if you are serious about the technical aspects of the gun.....
There are many fine general references where the information is not so densely presented. I like Patrick Sweeney's 2 books on the 1911 for Digest (Krause) Publications and Layne Simpson's book on the Custom 1911 as well as Bill Wilson's books, tapes and CD's for light reading and a general introduction to the subject.

A subscription to S.W.A.T. magazine wouldn't hurt - see also the articles by Pat Rogers for S.W.A.T (July 2006 and others) if you don't know who Hilton Yam is.