The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 12, 2002, 03:26 PM   #1
Poodleshooter

How to use this year's drought:ideas?

So, who has given some thought to changes in their hunting styles this year, given the drought conditions that many are experiencing this year? I for one will have to do a lot of scouting for local goose season. I'm not quite sure how the low river levels will affect their behavior.
As for deer season, I plan to hunt the larger bodies of water this year, as many of the traditional streams have dried up completely.
Anyone have some tips or strategies that have worked well in past drought years?
Old August 12, 2002, 05:45 PM   #2
H&H,hunter

Hunt water holes,
I know, I know your thinking well duh!! But what I've observed is that animals will try to stay away from obvious water. In other words water that is easily found by hunters. They tend to find a well concealed out of the way water hole. So when I say hunt water holes I mean hunt for a GOOD concealed out of the way water hole with plenty of sign around it. You'd be surprised where you'll find water if you really look and it doesn't have to be very large either, just a little seep in some out of the way canyon or draw will do.
Good luck and good hunting.