The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 17, 2009, 12:27 PM   #1
whiplash

where are all the CS45 Chiefs Specials?

Well I was looking for a back up gun, compact 45. So I have shot a Smith & Wesson Chiefs Special in 45, and shot well with it. But at the time I didnt have a need for it. But now I do. SO, I have been looking, but so far havent seen any on the auctions. So is this CS45 a rare gun? Or is it such a good gun that nobody wants to get rid of it? I will have to go to the next gun show, but thats not for a while yet...
Old February 17, 2009, 03:30 PM   #2
fastbolt

The CS45 & CS9 were removed from the regular commercial catalog a couple of years ago.

Like the metal-framed TSW pistols they're still produced for LE/Gov orders and sales. I've been told by S&W that even an individual officer could still buy them, along with the TSW guns, through an authorized S&W LE Distributor (meaning a factory designated LE distributor, not a stocking dealer, wholesaler, etc.), as long as there are some on hand in the vaults. They make various models in production runs (usually for orders) and often make deliberate overruns so some extra models are available for the occasional small agency or individual officer orders. What I've been told, anyway.

Some might still be floating around in the commercial/wholesale pipeline somewhere, though. Some are still reported to pop up sitting on some dealer's shelf somewhere from time to time. Why not ask around over on the S&W Forum?

Mine's not for sale.
Old February 17, 2009, 03:44 PM   #3
whiplash

If yours isnt for sale, then you should just be able to give it to me right? anyway, thanks for the info. I will have to call their LE dept, and ask about it. Thanks for the help...
Old February 17, 2009, 05:03 PM   #4
michael t

I haven't saw one in my area for a year or more. Guess their scarce
Old February 17, 2009, 05:05 PM   #5
Clayfish

I've got one on my hip.
Old February 17, 2009, 07:48 PM   #6
Glock-19

I found my CS40 at a gun show last year, slightly used.
Old February 17, 2009, 08:02 PM   #7
IdahoG36

I have seen a few CS45's on Gunbroker, but they are asking too much for them. I like them a lot. I shot my buddy's CS45 when I was down in Texas a few years back.
Old February 17, 2009, 10:45 PM   #8
whiplash

I will have to make sure I go to the next gun show at the fairgrounds. Its been a few years since Ive gone, so I am due anyway. I did e-mail the law enforcement people at Smith and Wesson. Looks like I might be able to order one from them.....well see...
Old February 18, 2009, 09:41 AM   #9
Spenser

I love mine. I have had it for a few years now, and I carry it quite a bit. I have been looking for the 9mm for a few years now, and have not had much luck at a decent price.

Excellent guns. Smith really screwed up by getting rid of that line. They have identity issues, in my opinion.
Old February 18, 2009, 03:42 PM   #10
fastbolt

Yeah, I also thought S&W was giving up a part of the market they should've worked harder to keep active, meaning the metal-framed traditional double action models (TDA).

That task has mostly been left to Sig Sauer, oddly enough. The ironic part is that not only is Sig continuing to make metal-framed TDA guns, but they've also essentially duplicated the short SA trigger reset of the S&W with their SRT (Short Reset Trigger) option. (We were told in a class that the SRT sear & sear spring was developed when Sig was competing for a large LE contract and wanted to have a similar SA trigger reset to the S&W gun, which was their competition - and which was awarded the contract, form trivia's sake).

A big problem with continuing to offer the metal-framed TDA guns was the cost involved. There's no way to reasonably compete with the reduced cost of polymer-framed pistols in a competitive market. The metal guns just cost more to make. The cost of the CS series was becoming pretty steep when it came to their MSRP, as well as what dealers were able to finally charge. More expense, less profit. Do the math.

I'll grant that the M&P 45c seems as though it will make for a reasonably decent substitute, size-wise & capacity-wise, for the discontinued 457 and even the 4513TSW ... but the only .45 close enough in overall size to the the smallest of the previous .45's, being the diminutive CS45, seems to be the newest of the SW1911 series, and not everybody wants a 1911-style pistol when it comes to a subcompact .45 pistol.

Oh well. Time marches on ...

I do prefer my CS9 to my CS45, all things considered, but I have no plans to get rid of my CS45, if only because I think it represents an interesting execution of concept when it comes to a reliable, small metal-framed TDA .45 pistol.
Old February 18, 2009, 03:49 PM   #11
Technosavant

The S&W metal autoloaders just never did sell all that well. Police agencies were about the only regular customers- while they had their fans in the "civilian" market (they were decent), they just weren't that popular when compared to the Sigs or CZs. As the polymer guns gained popularity, it was clear that their already small sales would only drop, so S&W just doesn't really bother with them anymore.

It isn't really anything against the guns, just that the consumers generally didn't pay much attention to them.
Old August 28, 2009, 04:11 PM   #12
MoreCowBell

I have a CS45 in very good shape. I like it a lot but I got bit by the 1911 bug and happened on a Kimber Ultra CDP II for a VERY good price and now I have one 45 too many (I also have a full size 1911).
So I was at the range today and a lady shot my Kimber and was talking about wanting a 45 (she's an instructor) but doesn't like the 1911, something about the grip safety.
Bottom line I'm meeting her Sunday for her to give the Big Chief a run. I don't remember what I paid for it, what's a good price?
It was my carry for a while but recently I bought a Ruger SP101 in 357 with the 2" barrel and have also been carrying a Glock 27. And now, the Kimber is really starting to grow on me.
I looked several pages of Google and saw everything from $450 to $750.

Anybody got a "Blue Book" handy? Is there such?

Thanks
cb
Old August 28, 2009, 06:33 PM   #13
laktrash

Blue book 100% $660, 98% $485, 95% $410 I have a stainless and a blue. I bought one loved it bought a second within 2 weeks. One of my favorite guns It's a love or hate deal ether you do or don't. I would like a 9 and 40 for a set.

Last edited by laktrash; August 28, 2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old August 28, 2009, 09:43 PM   #14
passintime

I have seen a CS45 at each of the last three gun shows I have attended. I like them and have thought about it at each show!
Old August 29, 2009, 01:50 AM   #15
Zilmo

Recently purchased a S&W 945-1 Compact that seems to be the evolution of the CS45. Love it.

Old August 29, 2009, 02:24 AM   #16
roklok

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=138290176
Old August 29, 2009, 02:58 AM   #17
2cooltoolz

I know where mine is...

If I was in a slow fire 25 yard bullseye match, I would choose my P220. When I'm trying to show (up) the bubba in the next lane how to shoot double taps, or when I hear something go bump in the night, I choose my CS45. I love the way it pushes in recoil, instead of flipping. To me it is the most natural pointing, easiest recovery, large caliber handgun I have ever shot.
For its small size and relative light weight, it is a sweet, gentle shooter. It shoots like it weighs 30+ oz.

Last edited by 2cooltoolz; August 29, 2009 at 03:07 AM.
Old August 29, 2009, 03:07 AM   #18
2cooltoolz

More pics:
I've been trying for years to comfortably carry the CS45, but my PM9 Kahr is just too easy.

Comparison Pic: