The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old January 21, 2009, 10:26 AM   #1
#18indycolts

Man with gun shoots neighbors dog

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/35372744.html

This moron deserves many "thrashings", he shoots a Rottie with a .22 in the OWNERS yard. Of course the article doesn't mention some fine points, like was there a fence or was it on a leash? Whatever the point, he's getting prosecuted, look at his picture, it says "crazy"!
Old January 21, 2009, 10:46 AM   #2
fisherman66

Quote:
look at his picture, it says "crazy"!
He looks like he has Down's Syndrome. A hunting buddy of mine has a neighbor with a Pit Bull. The thing goes crazy anytime we are in the backyard. It hasn't jumped the fence yet, but it's entire body clears the required height each time he jumps. It scares the bejeabers out of me, and I'm no Pit Bull hater.
Old January 21, 2009, 10:50 AM   #3
csmsss

Quote:
He looks like he has Down's Syndrome.
EXTREMELY unlikely. He's a "Sr.", so has fathered at least one child. There have been only three recorded instances of a male with Down's Syndrome fathering a child.
Old January 21, 2009, 10:58 AM   #4
#18indycolts

He looks like he'd be dangerous carrying an Airsoft. Cases like these get me heated, I just don't want to think what I'd do if some idiot shot my dog in my yard. The end result would be animal control and the coroner en route to the scene.
Old January 21, 2009, 11:09 AM   #5
Wuchak

If you read some of the comments posted below the article they are from the son of the dog owner and current and former neighbors. The common thread seems to be that this dog has been nothing but a nuisance in the neighborhood for a long time. Not saying that he was right to shoot it just that there is more to the story which apparently includes a long history of problems with this dog.
Old January 21, 2009, 11:21 AM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Anyway you look at it there's a lot of missing information. I'd say the jury is still out on this one. Literally and figuratively.
Old January 21, 2009, 11:27 AM   #7
#18indycolts

nuisance or not, the dog shouldn't have been shot. People are so quick to shoot without THINKING, just as this idiot did.
Old January 21, 2009, 11:43 AM   #8
azredhawk44

Quote:
A Plattsmouth man was arrested Monday for shooting and killing a neighbor's 200-pound Rottweiler. He claims self-defense, but the owner says it was a cold-blooded crime.

Forty-two-year-old Leon Gehrig Sr. faces charges of animal cruelty, use of a weapon and criminal trespassing for killing the pet with a .22-caliber rifle just after 6:30 a.m. at 8th Street and Avenue G
Self defense?

Pshaw.

I might believe it if:
1. The dog was shot with a pistol at close range with powder residue on fur
2. Blood was evident near the sidewalk or off property

Given the fact this retard chose to use a .22 rifle, it tells me:
1. He wanted as quiet a weapon as possible so he could be sneaky
2. He went back into the safety of his house in order to fetch the rifle
3. He came back out from his house armed with a long gun with intent to discharge it at a breathing target.
Old January 21, 2009, 11:44 AM   #9
curt.45

#18, you have never had the joy of being kept up all night (day) by the neighbors dog, I don't want to fight you however with in three houses of me there 11 dogs (several of my neighbors have multiple dogs) I work nights and some times you'd think all heck is breaking loose when they get going, not saying I'd shoot them but its getting ridiculous.

these are big dogs too with a nice loud deep bark not some yappy little mutt.

and if I didn't work the hours I do I'd love to have a dog, but it would damn well be trained to bark only when it is suppose to.
Old January 21, 2009, 11:44 AM   #10
Sixer

Quote:
A Plattsmouth man was arrested Monday for shooting and killing a neighbor's 200-pound Rottweiler.
200 pounds!? That's like a small bear... I probably would have shot that thing had it even looked at me funny. Not really, but dang, 200 pounds of Rotty could tear some [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] up. Were not talking about a little dog here.

That, being said... How likely is it that a 200 pound dog could jump your average sized fence? Not very. From reading the comments it sounds like there was a definitely a fence. The dude was probably having a bad morning and maybe decided to take it out on the neighbor's dog.

In conclusion, the guy looks like a complete tool... So I have to side with the prosecution. Sentence will be 6 months hard time, locked in a cage at the local pound. Case closed
Old January 21, 2009, 11:50 AM   #11
#18indycolts

quote: #18, you have never had the joy of being kept up all night (day) by the neighbors dog

so we should punish the dog and not the owners? Noisy dogs can be fixed without violence. I can read the headline now: Man shoots and kills neighbor's dog because it was keeping him up all night. My neighbor has loud and annoying kids, so I could get away with shooting them because they are annoying me? Really.... and the guy with the loud harley davidson...I can firebomb it cuz it annoys me? The world has come to killing everything that annoys us?
Old January 21, 2009, 12:27 PM   #12
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry guys. Shooting someone's pet is always an emotionally charged subject, but this thread leans way too far toward that aspect and doesn't address any tactics or training for defending yourselves against an attacking dog.

Off topic and closed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread