The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 6, 2012, 12:14 PM   #26
denster

A bit off topic. When did Uberti start making a color case hardened 1858 NMA?
Old February 6, 2012, 12:24 PM   #27
Hawg

Three or four months ago I think. Hasn't been very long anyway.
Old February 6, 2012, 01:04 PM   #28
denster

Well that's interesting. Thanks Hawg!
Old February 6, 2012, 07:21 PM   #29
Hardy

I was too thinking. The hammer hand had a sharp point on the tip. I only filed just a tiny to get the burr down. It cocks in all 3 positions much better than when it came from the factory. Now the Piettas we have had always retracted the hand back so cylinder went in and was not blocked by bolt or hammer hand. I do know that my 2nd gen colt peacemaker does not and always took a little twisting. Zullo might be right but we had a customer that wanted the other uberti and he was fairly knowledgeble and he too didn't like the struggle of how that cylinder didn't go in easy. He did (THANK GOD) bought another one.

It shouldn't be this difficult . Either from a stupid operator or mechanical design. The protruding hammer hand is not user friendly. Yeah, I can put it in. But I want customers to be able to without problems. It is case hardened from frame-top strap and backstrap-beautiful
WBH

WBH
Old February 6, 2012, 08:30 PM   #30
Hardy

I just (a few minutes ago) took cylinder out and put it back in easy. This gun was built tight. And-when I took it down there was an enormous amount of BP residue that had to be cleaned along with much thick factory oil and grease. After 4 times removing, it fits so much better. Maybe the Uberti people shot it alot and just packed it back down with ozs of grease But anyway, thanks for the input. This is a gun that has to be broken in big time but I like it. You understand that I try to sell retail and was mad that I struggled with it. I didn't want customers to struggle. I learned. Thank you. But-I still think that hammer hand needed a lttle honing. Go on Taylor & Co web and check out their Rem selection. That's how I found it. I would consider selling my 2nd gen peacemaker to one of you. Pics are on older thread.

You see, many people come in that have never handled a BP revolver. I stock essentials but unless they are like you they get mad if they have problems. I still have an issue with this Rem cylinder thing. I can't tell them everything in yalls head and explain breaking em in. But I did find out that the Uberti instruction manual says nothing about how to put the cylinder back into the frame - Nothing! Nor does Pietta. OH well----

Thank You. I'm sure I'll run across a new problem soon. Hope you are there for me
WBH
Old February 8, 2012, 07:02 PM   #31
Hardy

Well. spoke too soon. I fired 18 rounds and then cleaned. The cylinder got stubborn again. It finally slipped in from the left and I was able to slide pin down. Do you think the heat expanded something to make it stubborn again?

WBH
Old February 8, 2012, 07:51 PM   #32
zullo74

I just think your technique is incorrect. The cylinder should go in and out from the right side at the 1/2 cock position, with a slight clockwise rotation to depress the hand. It's really not rocket surgery!
Old February 8, 2012, 09:58 PM   #33
arcticap

I insert the cylinder on the left.
Starting with the hammer in the down position, after I barely begin to cock the hammer, the cylinder will slip right in. Once it's in, I bring the hammer to 1/2 cock which holds the cylinder fairly centered and in place for the base pin to be inserted.
Then I'll usually push it out through the right side.
If I botch the insertion by cocking it too quickly for the cylinder to slip right in, I'll just fully decock and start over again.
The key for me is to start to barely cock the hammer simultaneously with inserting the cylinder.
So there appears to be different methods that work, and mine is a Pietta.

Last edited by arcticap; February 8, 2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old February 8, 2012, 10:12 PM   #34
Hardy

Zullo you are right-I think. Art-you are right too. What is missing here is being able for all you guys to hold this gun and do it. After 4 or 5 tries the cylinder slipped in easy at 1/2 cock rotating it clockwise. It certainly did't before. I thought it was just real tight and needed a little loosening. I was real happy. I shot 18 rounds and after complete cleaning and lubing, the cylinder would not rotate in to position. Easing hammer, 1/2 cock trying from right-- then left etc. I finally took a rubber mallet and poped it on its right side and it snapped in. It has to be that the hammer hand is not retracting all the time when trying to rotate cylinder in. I called Bill, at the store, and he couldn't rotate cylinder(on the other uberti) in and gave it a small tap w/mallet and went in.

Hey it started rotating in great until i fired it. As by last post, I wonder if heat expanded something. Look, I have had rems before and I know they are tricky but this uberti has a passion for not doing what you all say.
Old February 8, 2012, 10:27 PM   #35
Hardy

I will say one thing for it. It is dead accurate. At 30 grains it doesnt shoot high or low at 40 feet. I gota keep it. If WBH can hit beer cans at 40 ft--then you might want to consider this one.
Old February 8, 2012, 11:01 PM   #36
ST Joe

Sport's Warehouse in Thornton, CO had both the Uberti and Pietta Remington NMA. The Pietta was thirty bucks cheaper, but the fit and finish on the Uberti made it worth the price.

Mine shoots roughly seven inches low at 30 yards. Have had it to the range twice with the same results.

The shot groups are a bit scattered, but I've not had a lot of practice with hand guns. I tend to be a bit to the right with one hand, and to the left using two hands. More practice is obviously in order.

Have to admit, I'm more than a little nervous at the thought of filing down the front sight.
Old February 9, 2012, 07:25 PM   #37
Hardy

I am going to send gun back to Taylors and have gunsmith fit it. That's one good thing about them, they'll do it. If you like these, I'll work a deal and send w/ minimal drop off charge and 15% above my cost. Just like Zullo says-I do things w/out thinking and usually I throw things that make me mad into the pond! but I like this gun!!!! I think they offer it for 361? Let me know
WBH
Old February 11, 2012, 08:57 PM   #38
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticap
I insert the cylinder on the left.
Starting with the hammer in the down position, after I barely begin to cock the hammer, the cylinder will slip right in. Once it's in, I bring the hammer to 1/2 cock which holds the cylinder fairly centered and in place for the base pin to be inserted.
Then I'll usually push it out through the right side.
If I botch the insertion by cocking it too quickly for the cylinder to slip right in, I'll just fully decock and start over again.
The key for me is to start to barely cock the hammer simultaneously with inserting the cylinder.
So there appears to be different methods that work, and mine is a Pietta.
I have an unfired Euroarms Remington and the tip of the hand protrudes just enough with the hammer in the down position that it also blocks the cylinder from being inserted from the left. So I was forced to insert it from the right and it basically went in the same way as when I insert it from the left on my Pietta.
But the tip of the hand is what made all the difference. I don't know if it would wear down enough over time to allow insertion from the left or not.
Old February 12, 2012, 07:55 PM   #39
sandman_nv

well, i am glad to read that i was not the only one having this problem, though mine is a R&S. thanks to the fine suggestions posted here, life is now easier

still not as good as Mr. Eastwood in Pale Rider though

Last edited by sandman_nv; February 12, 2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old February 17, 2012, 04:34 PM   #40
Hardy

Got both Rems back from Taylor & Co. Both cylinders roll in at 1/2 cock as smooth as moon beams. I'll ask Monday what the problem was. Before getting answer, I still guess that the hammer hands were too long and were not fitted by factory properly. ONE thing here--if you order from Taylors and have a problem-their gunsmith, Tom, will take care of it pronto and gun action will be better than ever in most cases. They take real good care of their retailers and customers.

WBH
Old February 17, 2012, 08:15 PM   #41
sandman_nv

nice to hear, Hardy

would it be out of line to ask what they charged your for that service?
Old February 17, 2012, 09:20 PM   #42
Hardy

Nothing. That is what's good by dealing w/them. They stand behind their products. And they know a lot about these! INCLUDING whoever answers phone If you decide to buy a gun w/conversion cylinder-Taylor will make sure it fits as long as you buy the gun from them. You pay a little more for Piettas than Cabela offers but the care service and quality they offer is worth it. They are our best dealer for Uberti/Pietta guns.

WBH
Old February 25, 2012, 09:16 PM   #43
Riot Earp

Quote:
Riot, read my last post not just skim it. The bolt will be fully retracted, it cant mar the cylinder because it won't touch it.
Didn't skim it. The bolt is not fully retracted until you reach half cock. At least, it isn't on my guns. Trying to hold the hammer just short of half cock while simultaneously inserting the cylinder with the other hand and lining up a cylinder notch while you're doing it, is fine if you have good dexterity. But I don't. I guess some do it your way and some do it the Clint Eastwood way. I prefer the latter, 'cause I can't do it your way without marring the cylinder.
Old February 27, 2012, 02:04 PM   #44
noelf2

Quote:
I guess some do it your way and some do it the Clint Eastwood way. I prefer the latter, 'cause I can't do it your way without marring the cylinder.
+1 same here
Old February 29, 2012, 07:40 PM   #45
CarbineWilliams

On the subject of Taylor's, I got my conversion from them and was really impressed with customer service. Also, the cylinder fits nice as well.

My Pietta does what op describes, where if i want to get the cylinder in at half cock i have to put it in from the right side and rotate it to push the hand back but I'm used to it now so it comes pretty natural.