The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 17, 2000, 08:36 PM   #1
Judge Blackhawk

Fellas and Ladies

I need your help and fast.

I need a single stage press.

Two choices I have are

RCBS Rock Chucker - NIB $100 total price

Lyman Crusher II -- $95 total price

only 5 dollars separate these two presses.

The lyman seems to be studier with its three contact bolts

but the rock chucker has been around forever.

Please help

thanks

Judge Blackhawk

Gun Control is the acceptance of the death of the innocent victim in exchange for the life of the criminal perpetrator.
Old November 17, 2000, 09:06 PM   #2
trlmech

Flip a coin. I have a Rockchucker and after 20 years it shows no signs of wear. I also have a Lyman #55 powder measure and a case trimmer, same story. RCBS has excellant customer sevice, Lyman probably does too, Iv'e never had need to find out.If I was starting over I would look at the Hornady single stage. There Lock and Load system for changing dies looks pretty cool. I can convert my Rockchucker to it with the puchase of a bushing for about 10 bucks. Not sure if the Lyman can be changed over.Whatever you decide, you won't go wrong, these are all great companys.
Old November 17, 2000, 09:32 PM   #3
johnwill

I don't have any experience with the Lyman, but I don't think you could damage the RockChucker if you tried. I suspect either would do the trick, but if I were picking, I'd pick the one I know, and that's the RockChucker.
Old November 18, 2000, 01:39 AM   #4
bk40

Judge, my Rockchucker is still going strong after 15yrs. RCBS' service is great, doubt you'll ever need it.
Old November 18, 2000, 11:20 AM   #5
sundog

Rockchucker!
Old November 18, 2000, 11:33 AM   #6
ea2

If your reloading bench is sturdy enough, then the extra bolt hole on the Lyman becomes kind of a non-factor. The base plate on the Rockchucker is pretty thick cast iron (I'd say at least 1/4"), and mine seems to be pretty sturdy.

RCBS has a no-questions asked lifetime warranty worded as such, whereas Lyman's warranties implies this but does not so state.

You'd be fine with either choice.
Old November 18, 2000, 11:48 AM   #7
Kenneth L. Walters

Get The RCBS

The RCBS has one rather subtle advantage. If you look at the area where the dies screw in you'll notice that that is a nut. It can be removed and replaced. Thus the RCBS can handle at least two different diameter of dies, that normally used and a size much larger needed when reloading rounds like the 577. Also I believe that there are two types of threads possile within the nut. One for 7/8 x 14 and another size used, I think, on very unusual special order dies. True these are advantages that most will ever need but, well, when I made the choice you are talking about, and since I use these odd cartridges, I picked the RCBS.
Old November 18, 2000, 02:36 PM   #8
Paul B.

I've loaded well over 100,000 rounds on a Rockchucker. I got it when they first came out as my old Pacific was getting somewhat worn out. I can recommend them most highly.
Paul B.
Old November 18, 2000, 06:27 PM   #9
WESHOOT2

I own a CrusherII. Great tool.

But...

...the RCBS will take their primer-swage accessory.
Old November 18, 2000, 11:30 PM   #10
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Unless you're in a big hurry, you might check a gun show or two and see what somebody might be selling in the way of reloading equipment. Both my RCBS "O" presses were already good-used when I got them.

The only place I ever strongly recommend new stuff is when loading for pistols: New, Carbide dies.

FWIW, Art
Old November 19, 2000, 06:52 PM   #11
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Judge, I actually don't think you could go wrong either way, but my personal choice would be the RCBS. I have used a Rockchucker some and it is a fine piece of equipment. I have a RCBS Jr. which is a lighter versoion of the Rockchucker that I bought new in 1965 and have NEVER had any problem with it. The one minor problem was when I dropped the primer catcher on the concrete floor of my shop and broke off the 2 little tits that held the rubber bands that hold it on the press. Five minutes with a drill and 2 small #8X1 1/2" long machine screws and I had better tits to put the rubber bands on. I guess thats why bigger tits are better?
Old November 20, 2000, 02:39 PM   #12
Bogie

Don't limit yourself there...

I picked up a Redding Boss press a while back - Slightly smaller in size than the Rockchucker, but still very nice (it goes to the range with me), and the price was around $60 or so... One of the nicest presses is made by Lynwood Harrell, but isn't usable for large cases.

Old November 20, 2000, 04:46 PM   #13
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Bogie do you know if Redding has a web site? I would like to look at that little press for just what you mentioned ......taking it to the range with me. I had an old Redding Powder measure I bought back in 63 and it did fine till I dropped a full box of Sierra 190 grain Matchkings on it. Broke the pivot shaft. I just got an exact replacement from E-bay just for old times sake. Well guess what its still just as good as the Ohaus 10-10 that I bought after I totaled my old one! Redding builds good stuff!
Old November 21, 2000, 08:48 AM   #14
WESHOOT2

Southla1,

http://www.redding-reloading.com

Old December 4, 2000, 12:00 AM   #15
Adamantium

I'd also like to put in a good word for the Redding Boss, I got mine a year ago and have loaded about 1000 rounds of ammo on it with no problems whatsoever. If you want one of those people who talk about using a press for 20 years and have loaded over 30k of ammo without a hitch, call me in 19 years(At least I hope).

Sincerely,
Adam
Old December 4, 2000, 03:23 PM   #16
Bogie

Well, I loaded somewhat over a thousand rounds with my Redding over a four week period (time leading up to the NBRSA Benchrest Nationals), and I'm very happy with it.

See me next fall - I'll likely be up to around the 10K mark...

Old December 4, 2000, 05:09 PM   #17
WIL TERRY

A SINGLE STAGE PRESS, HEY. HMMMMMM

I've used nearly all those out there.The Rockchucker is the benchmark from which all the rest are measured. That being said I know of no finer single stage press than the RCBS A2, the Rockchucker's daddy. Mine has been in near daily use since 1967 and is on my bench as I write these words looking as new as the day I bought it way back when. If you can find a used A2, hock the farm, it is worth every red cent. TM