The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 28, 2013, 10:55 PM   #1
AdamSean

My new EDC: Springfield XD-9 Service Model

I have been carrying a Sig Sauer SP2022, but starting having personal issues with it. First off, I just couldn't get used to the DA/SA trigger. Then what made up my mind was when I was hunting for magazines, I couldn't find any less than $100. So I decided to sell it and get a Glock 19. To my disappointment, I couldn't find one. What I did come across was a Springfield XD-9. It was in my price range and it felt good in my hand.

In the past I have owned a Springfield XD-9 Sub-Compact and was very happy with it's performance and accuracy. The first magazine I fired with it was less than 2 inches at 21 feet. So I figured that a larger frame and longer barrel would be even better.

I took it home and gave it my usual cleaning and lubrication. Then I polished the chamber and feed ramp and had to do something about the somewhat slippery grip. So I spent 3 nights and 6 hours stippling the grip. Now it feels perfect! I have ordered a FIST K3 kydex IWB holster for it and as soon as it gets here, it will be my EDC set-up until it either breaks or something else better comes out. Still waiting for the XDs 9mm for summer carry. That will be the only reason I carry something else. But it is the same shooting platform so I won't have to change anything. Range report to come tomorrow after I get back from the range.

Old January 28, 2013, 11:54 PM   #2
flycaster

I love my XD9 Service. I have more thousands of rounds through it than I want to count. I also had a Glock 19. A fine gun, but it became undependable. Yes, a Glock! I would love to carry my XD, but the idiots here in Ill-annoys are trying desperately to circumvent the court order to create a viable concealed carry law. I would feel totally comfortable and safe with an XD on my person.

Chuck
Old February 4, 2013, 11:07 PM   #3
Yung.gunr

So how did it shoot? I imagine it was great.

How do you like the stippling? It looks pretty good, have you done many others? I did it on my Taurus TCP and I'm happy with the results. But, I can't bring myself to do it to my XD9. Do you notice a huge difference? I got some skateboard grip tape for it, just haven't gotten around to putting it on.