The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 27, 2012, 05:40 AM   #26
Salmoneye

Some wonderful sage advice...

Now is anyone willing to address my specific questions about the massive deviations in 'published' load data between Hornady and Hodgdon using 158gr XTP in .357 for H110 Powder?...Hodgdon 'insists' that no one should reduce max loads by more than 3% with H110, yet I can show load after load on their own site that has starting loads 10% below max...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...2&postcount=41

I have a jug of H110 from the mid 90's that lists 14.5gr as max with a 158gr JSP (well below current min), yet their own website lists 16.7gr as max today...That is not a discrepancy to take lightly, but many seem to think that if it is 'published', it is gospel...We have to ask what changed, and which is 'right'...

My point being, that in spite of what we are 'told', our education, experiences, and rational thought, come into this 'hobby' of hand loading...
Old April 27, 2012, 07:19 AM   #27
briandg

Overly conservative regulations/recommendations will be my guess. If the maker puts a very close restriction on appropriate use, when somebody loads up a 30-06 case full of 110 and drives his bolt through his eye socket, the maker can point to numerous attempts they made to prevent this foolishness.

Specifically regarding the .357 data, I believe that the shape of the charge may come into play. a .357 is long and narrow and it is far more likely to ignite at the back end and combust all the way to the front of the available space before the bullet is kicked out, and the conditions required for ignition are lost.

i honestly can't give a more definite answer, because I am totally ignorant of the actual reason.

The biggest problem with reloading, as far as I am concerned, was summed up by a writer decades ago.

Quote:
"when moses stepped down from the mountain, and handed the tablets to the hunters that contained all available reloading data, he told the hunters 'God orders you to follow these rules as you would all other of his rules. If you violate these rules you will be denied access to the kingdom of heaven when your rusty old petard hoists you. Do not disobey these words of your lord.' Then, the hunters walked away from moses, to examine their newly acquired ancient knowledge. At least half of these hunters were also muttering angrily under their breath "You're not the boss of me!!"
yep, it's paraphrased a bit. But, the intent is there.
Old April 27, 2012, 09:16 AM   #28
Wyoredman

Try finding 225gr lead bullet data for the .45 Colt! There isn't much out there, so inorder to use this weight bullet, we handloaders must look at the data for 230gr leads and 210 grain leads and make educated decisions.

Acording to some posts here, since there is no data for the 225gr lead in a .45 Colt, It should only be used in slingshots?

Same for powder!
Old April 27, 2012, 10:54 AM   #29
serf 'rett

Wyoredman

An obsolete powder presents the same problem as “off the wall” bullets. A coworker has several 3 pound tins of Winchester 473AA. Try finding published load data for a 40S&W and this powder.

Part of me thinks I should pass on this combination; however, I've really enjoyed a 9mm load which I worked up using 3 pounds of 30+ year old W-231 he gave me.

Last edited by serf 'rett; April 27, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old April 27, 2012, 11:27 AM   #30
Wyoredman

Serff 'rett,

Isn't 473 AA somewhere near Hodgdon Int. Clays and HS-5? I think Winchester replaced it with WSF. Here is a link to another forum where they discuss 473 and its uses in detail: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=121996
Old April 27, 2012, 11:35 AM   #31
serf 'rett

Thanks for the link. Been there, read that. I saw one link there to a 1997 Winchester load "manual" which said the 473AA was replaced by one of the Supers, but didn't say which one. WSF appears to have the most votes.

I approach this project with care since the coworker mentioned his brother blew up an over and under using this powder. He didn't "remember" this until I told him my research had found some indications the powder could be spikey.

Last edited by serf 'rett; April 27, 2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old April 27, 2012, 03:49 PM   #32
Edward429451

Quote:
If you are not willing to follow the charts exactly, you should not be hand loading.
I have to disagree with this in general. It implies an absolute, and that could not be further from the truth. Who can match recipes exactly? Even if you do match the recipe exactly, do you have a test barrel like they had? No? Well, then what do you do now? Take a chance?

If you are not comfortable differing from the norm, then you should not be handloading at all. To be a hand loader is already differing from the norm! Hand loading books are a guide and in no way are an absolute.

How could any progress be made without taking chances? The important thing is to not be willy nilly about taking chances. There has to be a logical progression of thought leading up to your decision to use 40 grains of Bullseye, (or whatever). A knowledge of burn rates, capacities, powder characteristics and so forth will let you load in uncharted territories safely.

Who needs 45 Colt data for 225 gr LRN? I couldn't find data so I made some up. Guess what? No kabooms.

I have experience hand loading going into my 4th decade. I'm very careful and put a lot of thought into my powder charges. I don't like taking chances. I stick to recipes as much as possible, and use my head when I must deviate.