The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 20, 2007, 08:21 PM   #26
sreising

Yes there are those, I know. But, I also know, that at one of the chain stores here, there is a security guard who mans the front with both a walk-through and a hand-held wand. Believe me, there has been some local backlash from it, but then again, I've yet to hear or see on the news where this particular store has had any type conflict. Because of it's "success", the school system, two years ago, installed detectors with guards and hand-helds specifically citing this store's direction.
Let me say this, though. I honestly believe that this is a bit much, especially in my area of less than 10,000 people total in the whole of the county, but my wariness has softened the closer my daughter gets to school age. Now, the school uniform policy is a completely different bag of chips!

Shan
Old June 20, 2007, 08:42 PM   #27
armedandsafe

The sensors at the WalMart and at the tack/hardware store here are serviced by the same company. I can always tell when the service people have been through, because the shrapnel in my leg sets them off. After a couple of weeks, they stop alarming the clerks as I enter and giving me a hassle as I leave...for another 3 months.

I was told by the seervice rep for the outfit that I couldn't set them off with the shrapnel in my leg. When I went through in a bathing suit and got dinged, he just said "Well, s..t!" I offered to do it naked, but he opined that wouldn't be necessary and please don't.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old June 21, 2007, 01:04 PM   #28
aquanomics

Where are these safe communities?

I live in Las Vegas -- in an older part of town close to the "core." Great houses, nice neighbors; would not want to live any place else (in Vegas).

The local police web site has a program called 'Crime View' that will create a map of your address and all the crimes commited during the past XX days. Yesterday I input a 1/2 mile radius and 60 days. The results showed several burglaries, one stolen car and 3 assault/batteries. As an aside: last Dec our neighbor (4 doors up) was knocked down inside her garage and had her purse stolen at 2:30 in the afternoon with a street full of kids playing nearby.

Anyway, I also input my buddy's address who lives in one of the nicer parts of the Summerlin development, which itself is a bit tony. Again, 1/2 mile and 60 days. The results were almost identical. Burgs, assaults etc....

I'd bet if I simply said crimes were occuring similarly (without showing Crime view output) in each area, many Summerlin residents would think me nuts. Afterall, they pay much more and live much farther from the poor, drug addled masses than I do so it just has to be safer.

Is it? We've had several home invasions in gated communities. The talking heads on TV say some crooks actually target gated communities because people there have a false sense of security (and generally more wealth).

Finally, don't many of us carry a weapon precisely because we know that bad things can happen virtually anywhere, even in the 99.5% of America that is safe?
Old June 21, 2007, 01:45 PM   #29
Musketeer

Quote:
Yes there are those, I know. But, I also know, that at one of the chain stores here, there is a security guard who mans the front with both a walk-through and a hand-held wand. Believe me, there has been some local backlash from it, but then again, I've yet to hear or see on the news where this particular store has had any type conflict.
They check every customer enterring the store!?!?! What chain is this? They obviously do not want any legal gun owner's business so please tell us who it is!

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old June 21, 2007, 01:57 PM   #30
spacemanspiff

If she is willing to put that key beetween her fingers and use it as a stabbing instrument, she should realize thats not that different than using a knife.

On more subconscious levels, I think predators tend to read body language more than anything. Potential targets look less like 'prey' when they display confidant strong behavior. This can be done whether or not the person is armed.

Self defense is more than just putting a weapon on your hip or within reaching distance. It starts in your mind.
Old June 21, 2007, 10:22 PM   #31
4V50 Gary
Staff

Besides getting a gun and learning how to use it...

BTW, make sure she wears sensible shoes. Shoes that she can run and fight in and not heels.
Old June 22, 2007, 08:44 PM   #32
sreising

Yes, Musk, they do. However, I'm not one to throw names, so no offense, I'd rather not start now.

Gary,
I disagree. You see, most women wear heels as second nature, so our balance is not too jaded when wearing them. Of course, I'm not talking about stilettos or more, but the normal "everyday" 2 inch or less heel. And, heels are the ultimate in making basic self defense more painful. It's another pointed weapom if you will.

Shan
Old June 23, 2007, 10:16 AM   #33
armedandsafe

Hey! Don't knock 2" heels and pointy toed footwear. That is what I wear, when not driving for a living. And, I'll bet a paycheck I'm not the only male on this board who does so.

Pops

Old June 23, 2007, 11:20 AM   #34
vtoddball

Quote:
SING (Supplex/shoulder, instep, nose, groin)
That is a wonderful thing to learn, provided you're teaching it as places to
put a bullet. I'd rearrange it though....

Groin, instep, shoulder, ..........count to 30 slowly........... nose.

Freakin' psycho ruined a perfectly good nickname.
Old June 27, 2007, 08:54 AM   #35
Spade Cooley

Your wife is aware but could do ever better by searching out the area where she parks. If followed in the store, she should grab an employee and ask for security in a loud manner and point at the suspect. And if someone is around, don't get out of the car, keep the doors locked and move to another area. Look inside stores before you walk in. Don't go to your car in the parking lot if you see someone loitering around it. Awareness can prevent bad things from happening.
Old July 16, 2007, 07:49 PM   #36
cpaspr

Quote:
Hey! Don't knock 2" heels and pointy toed footwear. That is what I wear, when not driving for a living. And, I'll bet a paycheck I'm not the only male on this board who does so.

Well, maybe not, but does your footwear tend toward cowboy boots, or stilletto heels?
Old July 17, 2007, 08:19 PM   #37
armedandsafe

Quote:
Well, maybe not, but does your footwear tend toward cowboy boots, or stilletto heels?
No stilettos. Heck, I don't even like rider's heels.

Pops