The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 6, 2002, 02:24 PM   #1
Timothy

Hornady XTP/32ACP

Anyone have any experience with this combination? Hornady says an OAL of .925. For some reason I feel more comfortable with a little more bullet in the brass. My silver tips are .908 and work great. None of us wants to put more distance between the bullet and the lands. What is your take on this? I figure I'll start at the low end of 231 (2.0) and work up due to increased pressure from seating deeper. Seating at .907 would put the case mouth just to the rear of the origin of the ogive. Any insight is appreciated.
Thanks, Tim
Old December 6, 2002, 03:26 PM   #2
john kilgore

Try checking with Hornady and see what they recommend, or measure one of their factory loads to see what they run. I've found that the guns preference actually determines what is best. This is strictly trial and error.
Most of my .32acp loading was for a Beretta TomCat. It was actually fairly forgiving in what it would take. A friends Seecamp was much more particular.
0.915 seems to be what I remember, all my data is at home and I'm here at work.
I only loaded 200 of the XTP's as I mostly loaded the Speer GoldDots. My favorite was a 78gr cast bullet, and unless I was restricted to carrying factory ammo (As I am by Dept. policy), then I would carry the cast bullet loaded to recommended max (2.2gr Bullseye @ 850fps). This one was best at 0.985" and taper crimped to the crimp groove provided. (Lyman mould).
Old December 6, 2002, 03:34 PM   #3
john kilgore

I wanted to add some more but the phone rang and I didn't know if I'd be back....
The problem with seating the bullet deeper is that it runs pressures up quickly !!!
Accuracy is not noticibly affected by lengthning the oal.
My best luck with this weight and cartridge was with Bullseye. I got 1050fps with 2.5 gr of Bullseye and this was MAX. With Win231 I used 2.7. I got pressure signs with 2.9, and won't talk about 3.1. This was before there was any published data. My experience confirms the published data. A 4" -PPK will get close to 1200fps with this load and is a much more capable load/cartridge than it gets credit for.
Old December 8, 2002, 11:10 AM   #4
Alex Johnson

John, you mentioned the use of cast bullets, who makes the molds for the 32 acp? I looked at Lyman's website and didn't see any listed.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain