The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 25, 2010, 10:15 AM   #1
flashhole

Forster Cartridge Gage & Inspection Tool

Santa brought me one of the Forster tools for Christmas this year. I just ran through my first two boxes, 100 rounds, of loaded ammo checking for runout (221 Fireball and 223 Remington). I kept re-reading the instructions to make sure I had it set up properly and I was using it properly. What threw me off as a first time user was the fact the needle on the dial barely moved....ever

I had one round that indicated .003" runout and I kept checking it just so I could see the needle move. All the others were under .001". Next I will do the bigger stuff, 25-06 and 7mm Rem Mag.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old December 25, 2010, 10:40 AM   #2
dahermit

I have noticed that run-out on factory rounds is very slight. However, the purpose of the tool is to check hand loads. I had a RCBS .257 Roberts die set that would produce run out of .017 no matter what adjustments I attempted. Switching to Redding Dies resulted in run outs of less than .003 inches.
.001 run-out is great and should produce match quality ammo.
Old December 25, 2010, 11:08 AM   #3
flashhole

These are my handloads. I don't even own any factory ammo.

Are you ready for civil war?