The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old December 27, 2007, 08:02 PM   #51
Hardtarget

I have a range set up on my parents small farm. We do some of the same stuff...its just very private for us.

We will load the gun, do ten pushups, then run a hundred yards, ten more pushups, take the gun off the table and do our best...ouch. Seems to really open the groups.

I know its not the same as a fight for your life situation but its got to help. At least its different form just standing there. We do enough of that, too.

Mark.
Old December 27, 2007, 08:23 PM   #52
parrothead2581

They're just jealous. Too out of shape to do 5 push ups let alone 50.

If it helps you, more power to you. As long as you aren't putting others in danger, breaking range rules, or committing some unscrupulous act, what you do in you lane is your business. Ignore the stares. If it benefits you in the future you'll be happy you practiced in that manner.
Old December 27, 2007, 08:52 PM   #53
Aqeous

One simple idea might be bust out a workout before you go. I mean a really good one. And then between shooting sets take a walk and take a jog around the block or something and really push yourself get back and fire off some rounds before your heart rate drops and your breathing slow to much. . . people would probably be more receptive to this kind of activity. Also if you really push yourself you might find it more effective then push-up, sit-up, jogging sets in between your shooting. You'd be simulating worst case scenario fatigue, and if you can get your fatigued groups to match you resting groups you know you're doing well.

oh yea . . . and if all else fails you can stand their on the firing line and use a thymaster, if your going to get dirty looks, why not go all the way . . .
Old December 27, 2007, 11:38 PM   #54
ISC

THE BIG THING I'M TRYING TO DO IS RAISE MY HEART RATE AND BREATHING RATE BEFORE SHOOTING.

If someone would like to make a suggestion about how to accomplish that I'll try it. If youve never tried shooting with you heart pounding and breathing heavy you have no idea how much it affects you. Because of the training I do I hope to be that much better prepared when me and my buddies have our lives at stake.

The guy that made the statement that i'll get all the training in this regard from the army has no idea what he's talking about. The only shoot and move training we get and ever will get is conducted with blanks.

Many of the members at this site don't seem to have a clue about any type of shooting except for punching holes in paper or shooting out of a deer stand.
Old December 28, 2007, 12:39 AM   #55
TexasSeaRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISC
Many of the members at this site don't seem to have a clue about any type of shooting except for punching holes in paper or shooting out of a deer stand.
Since you already seem to know most of it, if not all of it, why are you asking us clueless deer-stand, paper-shooters how to raise your highy trained (but as of yet, untested) warrior's heartbeat?

And, you might be surprised at what some of us deer-stand, paper-shooting folks have been through and know how to do in regards to shooting at places other than a gun range.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old December 28, 2007, 12:40 PM   #56
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

I honestly don't see what's so difficult about this. There are significant differences in ranges. Some encourage training in defensive shooting while others don't understand it at all and restrict shooting to bullseye.

I think the trick here is simply to let both the range master and those shooting near you what you'd like to do and why. Then ask permission. That way, no one will think you're going postal .

If you're denied permission or obviously making others uneasy, it's time to move on to another range. Their range, their rules.

That said, I think this one's run its course. Posters seem to be irreversibly polarized and there's little else to be gained from it. On to other things.

Closed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread