The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 30, 2006, 08:27 PM   #1
nccampbell

miculek handload

Does anyone have any idea what 45acp load Jerry Miculek shoots?
Just wondering!
Old October 30, 2006, 08:52 PM   #2
FirstFreedom

speculation

He tested, gradually lowering the powder charge until one stuck in the barrel. Then added 1/2 grain. Not to take anything away, but every little bit helps. Ditto on the mainspring...subtracted coils until no ignition even with the softest primers, then added one coil (new spring). Just a guess.
Old October 30, 2006, 09:44 PM   #3
Ken O

You might see if he has a website, or email one of his sponsers. He might shoot commercial ammo from a sponser.
It seems most are using the 230grRN in the 625, so you need 720fps to make the 165 powerfactor requirement in IPSC or IDPA, or if you use a 200gr bullet you would need 825fps. So whatever it takes, I use a little over 4gr of Clays to make it with the 230.
Old October 31, 2006, 11:12 PM   #4
HSMITH

A little recoil actually helps time the gun and keeps it predictable. Going too light negates this.

I read something a couple years ago that had him using Bullseye with a 230 grain FMJ at low 170's PF. Bullseye, Clays, N310, 700X, Red Dot, and probably a couple others make really nice 45 loads. I load and shoot Clays myself, I can't find anything better.

FF, no coils in the mainspring on a S&W revolver. He also uses pretty strong rebound slide springs otherwise he outruns the trigger reset. I'd bet you a dollar and a donut the DA pull on his competition guns will light CCI magnum primers without fail......
Old November 1, 2006, 09:16 PM   #5
Ken O

True, the 165 powerfacter is definatly not a light load. For Steel Challenge you can load as light as you want, there is no powerfactor requirement.
Old November 1, 2006, 09:51 PM   #6
Charles S

Mr Miculek's website is located at:

http://www.bang-inc.com/

He can be contacted at:

[email protected]

I am sure he will be happy to answer any questions.
Old January 31, 2007, 02:28 PM   #7
ffl

Jerry M trigger info

Jery does not use any light springs for his triggers on his revolvers because he wants the trigger to return as fast as it can. I got this information from him at one of the shoots we sponsor.
"Amidst all the baying from gun opponents is the irrefutable fact that there will always be people in our society who refuse to follow any rules and who can never be reasoned with or rehabilitated. There is no doubt that the very thought a potential victim might possess a firearm deters that element of our society that cares nothing about laws or human life but rather understands only one thing -- brute force." Ohio Judge Robert Ruehlman