The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 28, 2009, 06:50 PM   #1
finrot

Ruger MK2

Cleaned my Ruger MK2 tonight , put the barrel on , put the bolt in pointed it up pulled the trigger ,put the retainer in, pointed it down pulled the trigger and snapped the catch in . Pulled the bolt back and dry fired it . Looked down and there was the firing pin retainer pin on the bench. Took it back down and the dent was there in the breech face .Took out my needle files and smoothed it out, half round for the chamber and flat for the barrel face.Put 5 in the mag and cycled them through the gun and looked at the rounds ,no marks. My question is , if I'm going to have a problem what should I look for?
Old June 28, 2009, 06:56 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

As you found out, the firing pin retainer on that gun is also the firing pin stop, so its absence allows the firing pin to move forward too far. I don't think there will be any problems. Just one snap should not dent the edge of the chamber enough to cause feeding problems or to make a deep enough dent to cause misfires. You might not even have had to do the file work. Fire the gun, and see if any problems crop up, but I don't think any will.

Jim
Old June 28, 2009, 07:04 PM   #3
finrot

I definitely had to do the file work . I was sick when I looked at it
Old June 28, 2009, 07:11 PM   #4
Joat

Welcome to the "Ah Sh**" club. Been there, done that, still shooting the gun 14 years later. Ironing out the fp impressions on the chamber is a real memory aid. Bet you don"t do that again.

Shouldn't cause any lasting injuries to anything but your pride. I would be surprised if one fp strike would have been enough to cause problems, but either way it is fixed now. A chamber iron is a better choice for removing the marks than files though. you push the divot back into place instead or removing metal. One time shouldn't hurt. YMMV

Joat
Old June 28, 2009, 10:12 PM   #5
Slopemeno

Don't sweat it. We used the Brownells tool to swage the dents out, and the guns would go right back to heavy use like nothing ever happened.
Old June 30, 2009, 05:50 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I have the roll pin style in my MKIII and from the factory it wasn't seated fully and since I had never owned one previous, I didn't look for that. Second field strip some 100-200 rounds later, I had a bugger of a gouge in the receiver where it had been grinding.
Brent