The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 10, 2012, 11:07 PM   #1
bacardisteve

3 more weeks...

... And squirrell season opens up. Looking forward to gatting out and having some fun. Anybody else hunt tree rats? I gotta finish sighting in the hmr but the 22 is ready to go.
Old August 10, 2012, 11:40 PM   #2
Creeper

Don't know much about Maryland squirrels.
Is this the thing where you're shooting grey squirrels to improve habitat for the delmarva fox squirrel? Are you eating them? Are the delmarvas still endangered?

Cheers,
C
Old August 11, 2012, 12:21 AM   #3
bacardisteve

Dont have any fox squirells in this part of the state. I dont eat em but my grandfather loves em and he cant hunt anymore so i kill em clean em and give em all to him. It also gives me a chance to do a little scouting for deer. I do know the fox squirrells are no longer endangerd and they actually have a hunting season on them too.
Old August 11, 2012, 10:38 AM   #4
lwb

Season opens in four more days in Indiana,rifle and handgun are dialed in and ready to go.Hope everyone has a good safe season.
Old August 11, 2012, 11:07 AM   #5
Pahoo

The woods are calling !!

Quote:
Anybody else hunt tree rats?
Last evening, I was awakened by a thumping sound. Turned out to be my 10/22, in the safe, letting me know that it is that time again and ready to go....

Be Safe !!!
Old August 14, 2012, 05:05 AM   #6
Geezerbiker

Someone must have released some fox squirrels here in Oregon because the ODFW has classified them as an invasive species. I think I've seen a few but I'm not 100% sure I can identify them. Anyway there's an open season on them here.

Tony
Old August 14, 2012, 07:08 AM   #7
Jack O'Conner

I really enjoy squirrel hunting in Pennsylvania. Early season I hunt with my Grandad's antique Iver Johnson 16 gauge. But after the leaves are gone I switch to scoped 22 MAG rifle.

My wife fixes squirrel pot pie. Sort of like a stew baked within a pie crust. YUM! We like squirrel meat better than rabbit.

TR

Last edited by Jack O'Conner; August 14, 2012 at 07:10 AM. Reason: spelling fixed
Old August 14, 2012, 10:37 AM   #8
Pahoo

Never ate a Squirrel, I didn't like !!!

Quote:
the ODFW has classified them as an invasive species.
Not questioning their logic; just wondering why. Usually find that when this lable is put on animals, it's because they are or could effect the native wildlife in a negative way. quite often, I see folks confuse Fox squirrels for Reds. I mostly hunt in Iowa and we have Fox, Greys and occasionally Blacks. There are some Reds in Northern Iowa. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old August 14, 2012, 02:29 PM   #9
chewie146

I'll be out there killing tree rats with my daughters. I have a blast killing and eating those noisy little guys.