The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

View Poll Results: What is your PERSONAL experience with rocksalt shotgun shell loads?
I've never met anyone who even claimed to have used it, let alone seen any. 59 56.73%
I know a guy who says he used it/had it used on him. 24 23.08%
I've seen and handled rock salt loads, but never employed them or kept them ready. 5 4.81%
I've kept rocksalt shells at the ready in/with my shotgun, but never used it. 1 0.96%
I've personally loaded rocksalt shells, but never shot at a living target with them. 2 1.92%
I've SHOT at a person or animal with rocksalt. 2 1.92%
I've BEEN SHOOT or shot at with rocksalt. 11 10.58%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 7, 2005, 08:25 PM   #26
kozak6

My dad has told me stories of friends who kept rock salt shells handy, and of other friends unfortunate enough to catch some.
Old October 7, 2005, 09:01 PM   #27
sm

Steve, you have got to log into TFL. I cannot believe YOU did not post in that thread

Hi,
Seems I have some folks "looking out for me".

Unlike Dave going after 'maters, I figured if you are gonna go for it...well then go for it! Cantelopes, Honeydew and Watermelons. Now the raining of Rock-Salt loads were a err...traditonal rite of passge. I passed!

These guys shot up and such as to have the salt rain down. Granted at the time we didn't know that, we thought they were actually trying to hit us. One learns some great skills for cross country track - like running over stuff and hopping fences.

Yes I have used the loads, up close they are lethal to small critters. Still getting pests out of barns this does not put holes in tin roofs and planks.

Popcorn loads are the bestest IMO for sheds, barns, teaching kids by busting balloons. Not corrosive to barrels as salt is.

pax said it best. It is a wonder boys ever grow up to become men

I didn't grow up - just got bigger -Art

I'm with Art on this.