The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 2, 1999, 10:24 PM   #1
EricO

I've recently purchased a Z34 bezel/lanyard set for my 6P, which I carry in a horizontal Ayoob type carrier or a pocket. Short of experimenting, what are the favorable methods of setting up the slide buttons for effective carry and use? Additionally, could anyone describe the technique where the light is "tethered" across the open palm by use of the lanyard, allowing free use of the fingers, securing the light, and giving one an extra oomph if needed as an open handed strike? Other techniques or experiences/opinions are welcomed and appreciated as well. EricO

Old January 3, 1999, 12:59 AM   #2
Rob Pincus

I've owned/used 6Ps for quite a few years, but it wasn't until I won a 6Z a few months back, right here at TFL, that I used the lanyard.
I am madly in love. Over the past few months, during transition training (from pistol drawn to lower force levels), while cuffing suspects and even while stabbing a wild hog, I have freely dropped the flashlight and known that is was going to be right there when I needed it.

To be honest, I found the supplied lanyard to be a bit bulky and lengthy, so I have an "aftermarket" (read: homemade) lanyard that is only about 6 inches long with a 4-5 inch slip-knot loop.
I find myself wearing the loop around my wrist as a matter of habit now when out of the vehicle at night.
Last night I was driving through PA at about 4:00am and came up on a wreck, I looped the lanyard over the vehicle's rear veiw mirror with the light on while I checked out the driver (car was DEAD, he ahd fallen asleep and if it hadn't been for double guard rails, he'd've been inthe Schuylkill River..).
I wish I'd've started using the lanyard years ago.

I use the "cigar-style" hold since I have gotten the "Z" version also, which I like quite a bit as well.

------------------
-Essayons
Old January 3, 1999, 11:07 PM   #3
EricO

Thanks for the info. Rob. They came out with the 6z model after I purchased my 6p, and while I'll probably get one, or the 9z someday, I make do with the 6p. I can use the Rogers/surefire "cigar" method also, since I wrap a thick rubber band (the type used at supermarkets to bundle asparagus) around the light. This enables me to use both methods. EricO